How to do LocoNet cabling between baseboards?

toolongtoremember

Hi there, 

I am looking to ask what cables do I buy to bridge between baseboards with LocoNet?

I have a DR5088RC detection unit on each of my boards which I want to wire up to the end of each board, I want to have RJ12 terminals at the ends of my baseboards where I can plug a short cable in between the boards but there is such a myriad of technical choice!

Edited by toolongtoremember

Why not just use shorter cables that are slightly longer than the board end and buy a female/female adapter from eBay - they cost pennies.

tye other choice is simply to unplug the LocoNet from one (or both) of the DR5088RC and coil it up then reconnect when needed to make the layout work? 

both simple and easy ;)

Just now, WIMorrison said:

Why not just use shorter cables that are slightly longer than the board end and buy a female/female adapter from eBay - they cost pennies.

tye other choice is simply to unplug the LocoNet from one (or both) of the DR5088RC and coil it up then reconnect when needed to make the layout work? 

both simple and easy ;)

Good, but not tidy, one mishap and I won't be able to run my layout at a show if a cable gets snagged in transport and rips a port out :( Also I al very very good at breaking things like that. 

Can you use a female/female adaptor, I saw that the loconet cable includes a twist, i.e. one connector to the other appears upside down?

You can put LocoNet connection through almost any connector.   There is negligible current and low voltage.    There's no need to keep things separate.  

I've used D-connectors,  carrying DCC, analogue signals, DC power, and LocoNet.     Thus one connection to do everything.  

Then fitted the D-connector to the end-plates of the baseboard, so that the dowel-pins for the layout align things, and as they boards are pulled together the electrical connections are made.  So, no messing with hooking lots of wires together.   

- Nigel

14 hours ago, toolongtoremember said:

Good, but not tidy, one mishap and I won't be able to run my layout at a show if a cable gets snagged in transport and rips a port out :( Also I al very very good at breaking things like that. 

Can you use a female/female adaptor, I saw that the loconet cable includes a twist, i.e. one connector to the other appears upside down?

Can you use a female/female adaptor Answer YES

To make a straight through lead using flat cable you need to put a 180 deg twist in the cable i.e. one connector to the other appears upside down?

14 hours ago, toolongtoremember said:

Oh! I've been assuming that they are straight through wired without a twist, my bad! 

the loconet cable is a straight through i.e. pin 1 joins to pin 1 & pin2 to pin2 etc.

As for using a female to female connector I often use a female to female connector & cable between my facia panel & throttle

a set up like this could work

688757552_boardjoin.jpg.e237c8fcf9b5d34d2b4e93e49769f72f.jpg

To save a little cash you could delete one of the connectors & make the other cable long enough to reach around the baseboard join

John

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, John ks said:

Can you use a female/female adaptor Answer YES

To make a straight through lead using flat cable you need to put a 180 deg twist in the cable i.e. one connector to the other appears upside down?

the loconet cable is a straight through i.e. pin 1 joins to pin 1 & pin2 to pin2 etc.

As for using a female to female connector I often use a female to female connector & cable between my facia panel & throttle

a set up like this could work

688757552_boardjoin.jpg.e237c8fcf9b5d34d2b4e93e49769f72f.jpg

To save a little cash you could delete one of the connectors & make the other cable long enough to reach around the baseboard join

John

Thank you very much, I have bought 20 F to F adaptors, for your first suggestion, this is perfect!!! I got them for 14 Euro being sent from South Korea.

37 minutes ago, toolongtoremember said:

Thank you very much, I have bought 20 F to F adaptors, for your first suggestion, this is perfect!!! I got them for 14 Euro being sent from South Korea.

My pleasure - this is after all what we discussed several post ago and when i said you could pick them up for a few pennies ...

• Like 1