Bachmann K3 TENDER

paul 27

To me it looks like the normal LNER group standard flush sided tender. There was an earlier variant with stepped out top panels.

K3s seem to have had 3 tender types:

1. GN std 3500 gallons with coal rails. (As far as I'm aware Bachmann have never done this type of GN tender)

2. LNER Group Std 4200 gallon with stepped top to its side panels.

3. Same as 2 but flush sided. Tenders built from November 1937 had a higher front plate.

Edited by JeremyC

1 hour ago, JeremyC said:

To me it looks like the normal LNER group standard flush sided tender. There was an earlier variant with stepped out top panels.

K3s seem to have had 3 tender types:

1. GN std 3500 gallons with coal rails. (As far as I'm aware Bachmann have never done this type of GN tender)

2. LNER Group Std 4200 gallon with stepped top to its side panels.

3. Same as 2 but flush sided. Tenders built from November 1937 had a higher front plate.

There's effectively a 3A and 3B, both flush sided but the earlier version had a more symmetrical side on appearance, while the later version with the higher front plate is as the photo in the opening post, with the raised side section placed further forward.

Bachmann have a GNR tender in their range now - a very welcome addition - introduced with the GNR large atlantic. That was the first RTR OO model of a GNR six wheel tender design. Whether this would be completely correct for a K3 is a good question. (At least one K3 with the LNER standard cab had a GNR design tender sometime in its LNER service, so this could be a DIY combination for 'something different'. You can throw the left over Atlantic to me...)

The Tender looks like the old Bachmann version fitted to their early versions of the J39, B1 and V2. The K3 version is a much better moulding with twin toolboxes, and fire iron supports..

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have had the old Replica and Bachmann B1’s with exactly that tender behind it, and to have it fitted to a K3 is not quite right somehow.  Didn’t particularly like the moulded coal either. If I came across one I would have to change it to 4200 gallon group standard tender with either flush sides or flared out copings. As stated above, they fitted it to those other models too.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree it looks like the tender Bachmann used years ago, originated from Replicas B1, and i believe was used on J39, B1, V2, though this one doesnt have the lug that comes out of the tender to hook under the footplate.

if youve acquired it with a K3 my guess is someone removed it and used the k3’s metal connection and added a pin or a screw to fix the connection under the tender body.

Edited by adb968008

This is the original tender I read that 61811  had a different one to the rest of the class maybe

Bachmann are correct using this one, has any one photos of this locos tender, the tool boxes

are the most noticeable difference from the flush sided group one and stepped tender,

that's why I like it, whether its correct lets see.

Edited by paul 27