The Strong Country

Thank you all for the kind comments and likes -- much more of a reaction than I expected!

@noctilux2 and @1722, the layout is a very simple 3'x1'. Just about enough to sensibly run end-to-end with a tank engine +2, or medium tender engine +1+van or with a short goods. I'm definitely thinking bigger for the next few projects which are brewing in my mind, but it's satisfying to see the full board covered in a manageable timeframe with a project of this size. The board is a single piece, cut down from about 4'x18", so my next might be designed to fit that.

I'll get a few more photos uploaded over the weekend.

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 2

Years ago my parents  and I used to catch the train at Friary for Surbiton or Waterloo and in my innocence was always intrigued by the lineside hoarding which proclaimed "You're in Strong Country now".  Even my father had no idea what it meant, and he was somewhat of a connoisseur!:o

Brian.

• Agree 1

On 15/12/2019 at 21:53, brianusa said:

Years ago my parents  and I used to catch the train at Friary for Surbiton or Waterloo and in my innocence was always intrigued by the lineside hoarding which proclaimed "You're in Strong Country now".  Even my father had no idea what it meant, and he was somewhat of a connoisseur!:o

Brian.

Indeed! It really is a great set of adverts (helped by the Bulleid front and centre...). Plays to that time-honoured technique of creating intrigue and curiosity, I think.

Here's the overview requested further up the thread, with facia on now.

2015466414_IMG_3794(1).jpg.5af4c265b13fd156e1cf4e98bdb83bda.jpg

Next job will be lighting.

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

This is lovely, some great modelling going on here. Now following with interest.

With regard to your lighting, I had occasion to look into this earlier in the year for my Ladmanlow layout. If you're interested, some of the relevant posts are here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140152-ladmanlow-sidings/page/27/&tab=comments#comment-3592409

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thank you gents.

13 hours ago, Alister_G said:

This is lovely, some great modelling going on here. Now following with interest.

With regard to your lighting, I had occasion to look into this earlier in the year for my Ladmanlow layout. If you're interested, some of the relevant posts are here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140152-ladmanlow-sidings/page/27/&tab=comments#comment-3592409

Al.

Thanks Al, that's very helpful and Ladmanlow really is such an inspirational layout. I'll have to experiment with some different strips and see what looks good.

Adam

Edited by Calidore

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2019 at 21:53, brianusa said:

Brian.

Strong's brewery of Romsey, Hampshire.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A superb model.  I am interested in the goods shed (btw yours looks great) for different LSWR project.  Please may I ask did you obtain scale drawings for it from somewhere, if so please let me know.  I have been looking at photos on the original - it appears that the roof is corrugated iron, but what about the sides - are they corrugated two?  Any information you can provide would be gratefully received, thank you.

On 05/02/2020 at 20:11, LSWR Boy said:

A superb model.  I am interested in the goods shed (btw yours looks great) for different LSWR project.  Please may I ask did you obtain scale drawings for it from somewhere, if so please let me know.  I have been looking at photos on the original - it appears that the roof is corrugated iron, but what about the sides - are they corrugated two?  Any information you can provide would be gratefully received, thank you.

Thank you. The size of the shed is guesstimated by comparing photos of the Farringdon shed alongside drawings of the similar LSWR No. 1 goods sheds as found on the North Cornwall Line. They're quite similar, although I think the Farringdon shed seems slightly larger.

The whole lot is indeed corrugated, apart from the wooden awnings to the front and back. On the model that's achieved with Slaters corrugated sheet cut into scale panels and then riveted manually using a drawing pin, over a foam board shell. I think I have one or two photos of the construction if you're interested.

Prior's Dean has been slightly neglected due to starting another project, but I'll get it back out and do some work on it... soon...

Hi Calidore that's great.  I've got a few photos of the Farringdon shed.  I put a separate post on here a few months ago (before I'd seen your model).  Other members replied, also quoting a book on the North Cornwall line which I've since ordered through Abe books.  I've since seen plans in the book on the internet, and the north Cornwall one although generally similar, seems to have been built out of something more substantial (stone or brick?).  It was difficult to see as the plans were small on the internet.  Based on the photos I've seen of Farringdon I agree that it appears to be taller than the N Cornwall structures - it's good that you captured this in your model.  Thanks for confirming that all of the walls (and not just the roof) of the prototype were corrugated.  Looking out for future posts if time permits you to return to this model......Thank you.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

With impeccable timing, summer seems to have arrived just at the moment we're powerless to enjoy it, so I took Prior's Dean for a wander into the garden as my portion of exercise for the day(!)

1491590507_IMG_4192(1).jpg.a7c44d0a63a26a2c578769d533e41695.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg.0e4df61002bd15f12f28a39f2a799494.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg.4a3f734c3b548abfdca142b96f46aa92.jpg

The facia is causing the irritating shadow bar on the back scene, but otherwise an enjoyable exercise...

Adam

• Like 8