MODIFYED METCALFE KITS

paul 27

Have some station buildings with the stone finish would like to change to the red brick to match

there other railway ones, any one tried this using red brick paper, the Metcalfe sheets are too thick

was thinking of using Superquick papers.

2 hours ago, Chris_nicole said:

Superquick brick papers can work with other kits. I have used SQ Slate papers on the roofs of Metcalf kits because I prefer the look and it makes the roofs consistent across a variety of card kit buildings.

Nice tip on the slate papers, thanks Chris

4 minutes ago, Sails said:

Nice tip on the slate papers, thanks Chris

Alternatively you can use Redutex slate finishes. They are self adhesive, pre-coloured and have relief texture which is ideal for model building roofs which tend to be looked down on and are more obvious.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, grahame said:

Alternatively you can use Redutex slate finishes. They are self adhesive, pre-coloured and have relief texture which is ideal for model building roofs which tend to be looked down on and are more obvious.

Tanks Grahame, haven't come across Redutex before, looking over the website now.

Mark

10 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Thanks for all the replies are these Redutex finishes made of paper or polystyrene / vinyl.

I've no idea what it is made of but probably some sort of compound material not that it really matters as it is self adhesive and will stick to most sound surfaces. However, it is relatively thin, flexible (but not stretchable) and can be easily cut with a modelling knife or scissors.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Grahame, Redutex is a superb material for facing even though it is a bit on the expensive side. I have used it for facing a Petite Properties model and am currently using it for adding slates to a scratchbuilt 4mm cottage.  I also got mine from DCC Supplies

Cheers Steve