Airport idea

3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Both are 1:72 scale

hercules.PNG.27ff8281629502e3d25ce3a563c3da40.PNG

a400m1.PNG.747233ea35f195268124391dc7ca5413.PNG

The A400M looks like it has a nice cargo deck, good for whatever might arrive by rail?

a400m2.PNG.ce3a182ed584c3f9643b604528d4d035.PNG

If you look on Google Earth, the southern most part of RAF Brize Norton actually cuts across a former GWR branch track bed (can't remember the name off the top of my head now), so loading from train to plane in an alternative universe where that line wasn't closed is an option. That southern bit is the explosive storage area too, so there's your cargo...

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

Interesting topic, I'm planning a small airport layout too, so I've been doing some digging around.

In terms of buildings, do you want to build something post 1960s, or perhaps an older, art-deco type building which could represent the 1930s to current day?  Don't forget Oxford Diecast do some lovely De Havilland Dragons and Dragon Rapides in Railway Air Services livery, in 1:72, and the DH Dove in Dan Air, and British Eagle liveries for the 1950s-60s so you could look for a cheap Hornby-Dublo terminus station on eBay (they go for vastly differing prices to be honest and would be best described as a "scratchbuild aid" as they need a bit of detailing) or, if you are careful how you position the buildings in relation to the OO scale part of the layout, you could look at the Triang TT art deco station.  It actually sits quite nicely with the old Airfix 1:72 control tower, and combined would make a nice 1930s style "aerodrome" terminal.

For a more contemporary airport terminal the Heljan 1:87 modern stations are good, the kit reference 1752 would be a good start, although I think it's out of production now.
http://modelljernbane.internettside.com/h0-Heljan-1752

Another possibility would be the Heljan small airport ref 2080, also done by Revell and others

http://modelljernbane.internettside.com/tag/pola-161

There's also a small hangar available.  Walthers do a modern Amtrak station which could be useful for a post 1970 terminal building.  Talking American models, the Bachmann O gauge "Plasticville" airport hangar would look good as a 1930s style hangar, it's small for O gauge but probably fine for OO.

For aircraft, you can probably just about accomodate 1:100 large aircraft on the airport and get away with it.  There is a new 1:100 model of an Embraer E175 regional jet by Tamiya for a contemporary jet, or if you want to go back in time, several model kits in 1:100 including a Trident (often available on eBay for not a lot of money which makes up into quite a large model, I have one in my stash) a Boeing 727, and various Russian jets by Playfix (made in the 1970s), and the rare (and expensive) Dyusho Boeing 737 and DC9.  EBay usually has lots available at various prices.  For regional turboprop models, there is a kit of the Jetstream 31 in production by Amodel, who also produce a model kit of the Beech 1900 regional airliner, both in 1:72.  There is a model currently in production by Italeri of the Fokker Friendship F27 in the 1980s Air UK livery, whilst Mach2 produce a 1:72 Vickers Viscount kit in the 1970s British Airways "Carnaby St" livery.  If you want some typical 1960s charter airline holiday planes, Mach2 have done a Bristol Britannia in Monarch and British Eagle liveries, and Heller also do a 1:72 Douglas DC6 propeller plane, which was a regular on charter flights in the mid-60s.  Heller also do a 1:72 Boeing 707 which makes up into a massive model.  The venerable Airfix DC3 was recently produced as a Dan Air example, which would be suitable for the late 1950s.

I've also got 1:96 Vickers Viscounts and a 1:72 De Havilland Dash-8 100 in my holding stack just waiting for a layout to park them on!

You can also get a wide range of decals to change the liveries of any kits you acquire, Hannants are a good source, and there are a few places in America where you can get useful decals for British aircraft.

My plans at the moment are for a plank-to-plank terminus to fiddle yard affair, Southern electric, serving a small south-coast airport from the 1930s to recent times, using the Triang TT station plus Airfix control tower for the 1930s and 50s, and the Heljan 1752 station for the 1960s, by having the two terminals and ramps on removable boards so I can swap depending on era.  Hence the research!

• Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

If you look on Google Earth, the northern most part of RAF Brize Norton actually cuts across a former GWR branch track bed (can't remember the name off the top of my head now),

Was that the Oxford-Fairford branchline?

The Great Western Railway worked the two companies' lines as a single branch line from 1873, and later absorbed them. British Railways withdrew passenger services in 1962; a residual goods service to Witney remained until 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford,_Witney_and_Fairford_Railway

The track runs close and parallel to what is now the airfield's southern perimeter road.

• Like 1

It was the Fairford branch; I believe that is where the GWR carried out trials of ATC. The topic of rail-served airfields comes up quite a lot. In truth, even during the most active periods of WW2, not many were rail-fed, and when they were, it was with fuel-oil for heating. There were lots of establishment with railways near-by.

One that comes to mind is RAF Valley, where the air-traffic controller could replace signals to danger in the event of a problem.

• RMweb Premium

Airports are big.

You certainly won't fit much of a commercial airport anywhere in 00 scale, for sure, even a little one. You'll notice conversation has drifted away from regional airports and A320s to military bases and A400s, because while still big, they're a bit closer to a realistic idea. The only one I've seen modelled just the very end of a runway at an RAF base:

IMAG1138a.jpg

Edited by Dragonfly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A variant of the idea would be a gliding club with hanger, basic control tower, possibly the Hornby R8989 Vintage Airfield Control Tower as mentioned by Keith MacDonald, as a lot are old RAF bases, some glider kits are available (72nd) and the odd Cessna as a tow plane. Busch do a complete package for an HO diorama (Search Busch OO/HO Gliding Airfield Diorama Set 1050) and the possibility of an air ambulance being based there?

Edited by JimFin

2 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

If you look on Google Earth, the northern most part of RAF Brize Norton actually cuts across a former GWR branch track bed (can't remember the name off the top of my head now), so loading from train to plane in an alternative universe where that line wasn't closed is an option. That northern big is the explosive storage area too, so there's your cargo...

Good idea, here's a link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7478684,-1.5685934,1175m/data=!3m1!1e3

The perimeter (with aircraft) looks so close to what was the railway line, it could hardly be better. i.e. perhaps only model as much of the perimeter and associated buildings as you want, no need to model the main runways?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Was that the Oxford-Fairford branchline?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford,_Witney_and_Fairford_Railway

The track runs close and parallel to what is now the airfield's southern perimeter road.

I was thinking of the damn place upside down! Southern point, not northern. I'd best go edit my reply...

But yes, the Fairford branch is the one. 2 bits of (now dissused) taxiway making a loop to a pan area cross what was the railway line (always assumed that extension to the base was after the railway was closed) That area is now mostly used for various bits of training with helicopters, and also leads on to the main explosive storage area. That makes for plenty of dangerous cargo movements where the railway would be, but only smaller helicopters in that area. Reinstate the railway and taxiway to larger aircraft and there's an interesting goods interchange scene to be had.

Doing it with a civilian passenger terminal or hangar sized environment instead would be big...

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/12/2019 at 22:33, Philou said:

@The Johnster @Feoffee2 PssssssT !! ............. have a look at this: https://www.google.fr/maps/@50.5143041,1.6238131,424m/data=!3m1!1e3

No, it's not a dirty postcard - it's Le Touquet airport (northern France). See the pale line curving through the taxiway, the (now condemned) runway and terminating at the airport building? That - that was a passenger railway line that crossed the runway on the level. There were signals to hold the train if an aircraft was about to take off. There is a picture of a diesel passenger unit waiting to cross when the runway was 'live' - I don't have the picture but I remember seeing it some time ago - it may well be available on t'intertubes.

Le Touquet was an odd one. I'd always assumed that when they started the Silver Arrow London-Paris service they'd taken advantage of an existing goods branch used to bring in fuel. In fact, the short branch from the Amiens-Boulogne main line was specially built for the service which ran from 1956-1994 though they used  a coach transfer to Etaples for the first few years until the branch opened in 1963, at first to a station with a run round on the edge of the airport but extended  in 1971 across the end of the short 07-25 runway and across the apron to a simple station with just a single track, a low platform and an umbrella canopy. alongside the terminal building.  The classic publicity shot showed the BUA  or later BIA plane on the apron in front of the usually 4 car RGP implying that passengers would simply step from plane to train but in fact they were processed through the terminal and the station itself was "groundside"  rather than "airside". The time from London Victoria to Paris Nord was just under four hours but that wasn't tremendously faster than the far cheaper train-bus-hovercraft-train service via Boulogne-Aeroglisseurs so its popularity declined. The branch was closed in 1981 and passengers once again transferred from the airport to Etaples by bus but there was track inset into the apron until well into the 1990s or beyond.  

The service was always run using autorails so the run round loop at the originals station would have scarcely been used.

Re Carterton railway station:

Carterton railway station was a railway station just north of the village of Black Bourton on the Oxford, Witney and Fairford Railway between Oxford and Fairford. The station had two stone-built platforms, a passing loop, and a concrete station building. Built next to the Carterton to Black Bourton road less than two miles from Brize Norton and Bampton railway station, the station was opened on 2 October 1944, to serve RAF Brize Norton which had opened in August 1937

https://wiki2.org/en/Carterton_(Oxfordshire)_railway_station+Newton

Carterton.PNG.543635af0bc08bd7e3b940bdb6232b10.PNG

There are some good pics of the station and trains here:

The Fairford Branch Line - Carterton

http://fairfordbranch.co.uk/Carterton.htm

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Northroader said:

RAF Ballykelly, Northern Ireland.

Wikipaedia says:

RAF Ballykelly opened in June 1941 during the Second World War as an airfield for RAF Coastal Command. In 1943, the main runway was extended and acquired an unusual characteristic in that it crossed an active railway line. Rules were put in place giving trains the right of way over landing aircraft.

On 29 March 2006, an Airbus A320 aircraft operated by Eirjet on behalf of Ryanair landed at Ballykelly after the pilot mistook the runway for that of nearby City of Derry Airport. The 39 passengers who boarded the flight at Liverpool airport continued their journey to the airport by bus.

https://wiki2.org/en/RAF_Ballykelly+Newton

The passengers could have gone by train? The railway line goes past City of Derry Airport as well. The Eirjet pilot should have gone to SpecSavers.

• Funny 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

on behalf of Ryanair landed at Ballykelly after the pilot mistook the runway for that of nearby City of Derry Airport. The 39 passengers who boarded the flight at Liverpool airport continued their journey to the airport by bus.

Close for Ryanair.

Southend has planes quite close to the line.

5a9c031b9d86b5668d4c1c019100f142.jpg

G-APAU-overrun.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

A useful addition?

Hornby R8989 Vintage Airfield Control Tower

R8989.PNG.4d7622989c35bfb8e59a9740ce7929ed.PNG

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread.   :)

There was an article in Railway Modeller in April 1984 (not a joke article) with some ideas for parts of airfields for layouts.

https://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/railway-modeller-magazine-april-1984-issue.html

Jason

Thanks for all the replies. This topic has really taken off. No pun intended. My layout is set in the southeast in the late 1990s early 2000s. Plane wise the e170 and a320 were just examples and I'm open to other regional jets etc. Been looking today and think the best option would be to model the end of a runway possibly. Will have to spend more time deciding this. 

Cheers 

Edited by Feoffee2
Spelling

This book might give you some inspiration.  You'll see that not all civil airports are huge.  It's long out of print (dates from 1993) but if you want to do a civil airport it could give you some ideas

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Airports-Then-Now-now/dp/0711020760

(other suppliers are available of course)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Airfix WW2 control tower would give your airport a back story, a former RAF airfield probably brought into commercial use in the late 40s or early 50s on the back of the expansion in civil aviation with local airlines using war surplus aircraft, typically DC3s.  Probably not the sort of place that much maintenance was done, though.  Basic, probably one storey, terminal building, perhaps 'refurbished' to look more modern and impressive, a flying club, and of course WW2 type hangers.  

Cardiff's original Pengam airport might be of some interest.  It was a commercial airport before the war and Railway Air Services used to fly DH Rapides to Weston, Exeter, and Plymouth.  During the war it was used as an assembly plant for aircraft whose fuselages and wings were brought by road, put together, and then flown directly to their intended bases as the 'snagging' test flight.  Attempts to revive it as a passenger airport postwar failed as the runway was short and prone to flooding; in fact the entire site was a bit boggy and aircraft often had to be towed out of the mud they'd sunken into.  Eventually the towel was thrown in and efforts concentrated on the RAF Fighter Command station at Rhoose, now Cardiff (Wales) International.

It is difficult to find nowadays but is there if you know what you're looking for; much is now used for housing and a couple of schools, and the line of the runway can be traced in a park, but the southwestern corner, close to Cardiff Tidal Sidings, is an industrial estate with some of the maintenance hangers still intact, clad in modern corrugated sheeting.  These will give a good idea of the size and proportions of such buildings.

• Thanks 1