Metals Sector Reception Sidings & New TMD

Mr Pix

This will be my first layout in OO for more than 25 years. I reached the point with Lackenthorpe which was in 2mm, where I felt I couldn't  carry on with it any further. So I made the decision to start again but in OO with fresh ideas and enthusiasm.

The layout will be  fictional reception sidings operated on the behalf of British Steel in the early 90s for the dispatching of raw materials and finished products. The sidings will be at the entrance to a large Steel Works (backscene) that has it's own docks that  imports large quantities of minerals which need to be transported to other sites via rail.

There's so many more options regarding manufacturers of rolling stock for 4mm, compared to 2mm especially with the likes of Cavalex and Accurascale producing ready to run highly detailed models for decent prices along with the main manufacturers which offer so many options of rolling stock.I have  15 Accurascale PTA tippler wagons on pre order along with some PFAs container flats along with some Cavalex BLA coil wagons.

Layout will be DCC with eventually sound fitted locos in the future. I'm fairly settled on a track plan, 6 through sidings with two of them for the loading of minerals....Iron ore and coal. Looking at a slimed down structure like the one that used to be at Hunterston!!!.....that was used to traffic ore and coal to Ravenscraig. A main line will run along the rear of the layout linking either end of the reception sidings and loop around the shed and a small three lane servicing depot will be at one end of layout for stabling of locos.

Jez

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Progress so far....  Have completed the loop around the shed, have used curved points at both ends of the loop that access the yard  to maximise the length of the sidings. They will be hidden at one end by an embankment to the rear of the depot and the other end of the layout will be off scene behind a road bridge. 

The track work at present is not fixed or completed still working out where to position the rapid loading structure and still testing to make sure that  my rolling stock will run ok. Have 15 tippler wagons and 12 PFAs on order along with some BLA coil wagons so will wait for them to arrive before I start fixing down track and attaching droppers.

Jez

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 15

19 hours ago, muddy water said:

Nice start!

Are you going to fit a fiddle yard underneath the layout accessed by gradients down the back of the shed?

F3666D92-5FCF-4144-AFD3-5469B2841132.jpeg

Don't plan on a fiddle yard, want to keep the amount of rolling stock to a minimum... rake of PTAs on order, two rakes of steel wagons  for coils and beams of finished product leaving the works... BDA , BLA, BBA,VTG. One rake of PFA container wagons on order, will be used for imported domestic coal via the docks.

Hopping for a new MGR hopper in OO, not  keen at all with the Hornby version. Will wait for another manufacturer to bring out one..... its a no brainier will sell shed loads of them.

Had far to much N gauge stock that never ran or sat in their boxes, had a full Dapol HST set hardly ran at all.

Jez

Edited by Mr Pix

On 03/01/2020 at 16:58, Robert Stokes said:

Hello Jez,

What's the length and width of your shed? It looks very similar to mine.

Robert

Hi Robert... The shed is 16'x4' and  sits between the gable end of our bungalow and fence, protection from the weather and security along with a German Shepherd.

The main base board is the full length and is above 18" deep looping round on about 4" just enough for a double line on the other side.

IMG_2068.PNG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Pix said:

Don't plan on a fiddle yard, want to keep the amount of rolling stock to a minimum... rake of PTAs on order, two rakes of steel wagons  for coils and beams of finished product leaving the works... BDA , BLA, BBA,VTG. One rake of PFA container wagons on order, will be used for imported domestic coal via the docks.

Hopping for a new MGR hopper in OO, not at keen at all with the Hornby version. Will wait for another manufacturer to bring out one..... its a no brainier will sell shed loads of them.

Had far to much N gauge stock that never ran or sat in their boxes, had a full Dapol HST set hardly ran at all.

Jez

Good plan! Otherwise you have to find room to store all the extra stock in boxes, let alone all the boxes for the stock on the layout!

I am afraid that  most of us can not keep to this well thought out plan. Some to the level that SWMBO notices and Beeching  style cuts have to be made to keep marital bliss!

• Funny 1

Your shed is not quite as big as mine. It looked larger in the pictures. This is because I thought that the two pictures showing several tracks were on opposite sides of the shed. Looking at them more carefully now, I realise that they are views from opposite ends. I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Robert

Hi all.... a little progress with one of the end backscenes. Will build up a curved embankment along the side of the depot that will hide the curves of the two lines that disappear through the cut out of the backscene.

cheers... Jez

IMG_2096.JPG

• Like 6

Hi all

A package arrived today from Accurascale with a pack of PFA's. These will be a great addition to the layout, these are a fantastic model the printing is excellent and they have got the shade of yellow bang on.

Looking forward to the three more sets I have on order to arrive, they look the business behind a coal sector 37.

Jez.

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2020 at 18:28, Leon said:

Mine arrived Monday, I must admit very impressed.  Not sure weather to get more or just have the three.

They are very impressive and good value also, got 9 more on the way. They can be run in shorter rakes than MGRs so you don't need  20 plus.  I'm waiting for  some one to come out with a good mgr, not impressed with the Hornby version at all.

Edited by Mr Pix

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 21/03/2020 at 22:31, saxokid said:

Any new updates Jez..

thanks neil..

A little more progress... all track has been laid started wiring and working on more backscene.

Thanks for showing interest. Jez

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Mr Pix said:

A little more progress... all track has been laid started wiring and working on more backscene.

Thanks for showing interest. Jez

Sounds good Jez looing forward to more picture updates soon..

thanks neil..

Hi all

A little  progress on the embankment along the side of the depot, that will hide the line that goes off scene and loops around to the other side of the shed. I'm hoping to be able to blend the embankment into the backscene with using undergrowth to hide the 3rd radius curves.

Jez

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

A little more progress on the stabling point embankment, added some greenery and trying to blend the colours in with the foliage that is on the backscene. Added  some concrete hard standing for the facility's structures to sit on and a cut out into the embankment where the fuel storage tank will sit.

Jez

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

• Like 4

Hi all

Just placed some of the structures for the stabling point including the loco serving building onto the base board just to see how they look, pretty happy with the positions of the the individual structures, will add steps to access the upper shipping container office. 

Jez

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

• Like 5

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:12, Mr Pix said:

Hi all

A little more progress on the stabling point embankment, added some greenery and trying to blend the colours in with the foliage that is on the backscene. Added  some concrete hard standing for the facility's structures to sit on and a cut out into the embankment where the fuel storage tank will sit.

Jez

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Great job on the scenic here!!

• Thanks 1

Hi all

A bit more progress on the scenic area around the depot area. Need to put some stripes on the depot door and add some grime on all the structures. Will get the air brush out and have a try, I am a novice so will be trial and error. 

Thanks for looking

Jez

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1