Metals Sector Reception Sidings & New TMD

Mr Pix

11 hours ago, Mr Pix said:

Hi all

A bit more progress on the scenic area around the depot area. Need to put some stripes on the depot door and add some grime on all the structures. Will get the air brush out and have a try, I am a novice so will be trial and error. 

Thanks for looking

Jez

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

Looks impressive now Jez,your fast worker like me!!

Im adding my own yard lighting towers to Colmore TMD...

If you get chance take look let me no what you think Jez:good:

thanks neil..

• Thanks 1

Hi all

A little progress on the surrounding scenic area by adding some foliage and another embankment.

Also put some stripes onto  the depot door and railings, oil drums.

jez

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 8

Hi all... A little more progressive, added more of the works backscene along with some of the scenics trying to blend the shrubbery with that of the backscene. Stuck some more of the track down and attached some droppers.

Added a new loco to the roster, got for a great price from Hereford Model Centre, a Hornby  class 56 037 which is in construction livery for the moment, will change to Metals in the future. 

Jez

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

• Like 6

12 hours ago, saxokid said:

Looking good with back scene.

Who makes that back scene??

Thanks.... it's made by a Gaugemaster GM706.

It's a bit on the glossy side but it is the only one I've found with a Steel Works on, it comes in three sections each one is 3 feet. I think it's Port Talbot.

Jez

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Pix said:

Thanks.... it's made by a Gaugemaster GM706.

It's a bit on the glossy side but it is the only one I've found with a Steel Works on, it comes in three sections each one is 3 feet. I think it's Port Talbot.

Jez

Are thanks Jez,your star:good:

cheers neil..

Hi all 

Made up some steel beam loads for my BDA bogie bolsters, they're made from 3 strips of aluminium with spacers between each beam. I've got enough for 4 wagons and they are a fair weight. Will need to Weather the wagons and find loads for three more wagons. 

Jez

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

A little progress on some of the rear backscene scenic area, been focusing on trying to blend rear of the layout with the backscene foliage, along with a disused plate layers  hut that has been taken over by nature. Also added some HEA and HSA hoppers to the fleet for the movement of coke to the works.

Jez

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, Mr Pix said:

Hi all

A little progress on some of the rear backscene scenic area, been focusing on trying to blend rear of the layout with the backscene foliage, along with a disused plate layers  hut that has been taken over by nature. Also added some HEA and HSA hoppers to the fleet for the movement of coke to the works.

Jez

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

Ive just order that back scene from Gaugmaster!!

just looks so good

great pictures and I love those coal sector 37s...

• Thanks 1

Hi all.

My first attempt at weathering track with an airbrush, it's around the depot area so will have to go with some oil staining along the track centre line, but happy with the overall depot area. 

Used dried up tea leaves to represent the dirty ballast that you see at depots and yards, will probably use them in the yard with different shades of colouring.

jez

IMG_2437.JPG

• Like 2

Hi all.

A change of plan regarding the mineral handling facility. I've  been a bit over ambiguous with a rapid loader with two lines  which was capable of handling ore and coal separately , like the one at Hunterston.  Not enough space to do it justice, because I still would like some sidings for steel coils, slabs and hopper wagons ..etc. So i have a decided to have a single track loading facility with separate conveyors for different products something like the first photo. Not sure on how the structure will look but something like in the photos below, I like the small feeder buildings linked by conveys at different angles and I would also want a facility for loading lorries as well.

The line that the Cawoods  PFAs are on will be for the rapid loader, with the change I've been a able to fit a siding in for crippled wagons or loco stabling which is where the pair of 37s are sat. 

Jez

IMG_2442.PNG

IMG_2443.PNG

IMG_2436.JPG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice layout, coming on nicely.

Many years ago I had a trade stand the sold originally the range of Pikestuff buildings. I made a Rapid mineral loader by using x2 Extended Single Road Enginehouse (to give  the length of a Freightliner HHA wagon), modelled with the second model upside down, with the drain piping removed (to give double the height). The join was hidden by a door and an elevated walk way. I was well pleased with the result but one day at an exhibition of an admiring member made me an offer that I could not refuse and it went to a new owner.  Just advising you of an option that you could use.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all.

A little more progress , have completed a permanent oval of the shed. Decided to attach the lift out section to the door rather then a hinge arrangement. Seams to be working fine and I always lock the door whilst  I'm working on the layout, don't want any unwanted interruptions whilst running trains !!!

Jez

IMG_2459.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all

Made up a dummy flood loader out of cardboard just to see how the  dimensions I had in mine would look and where abouts to position it. Used the PFAs for a size  reference ( waiting for the PTAs to arrive later in the year) against images of other loaders I'd looked at which were all at collieries.  Will position some conveyors later if I'm happy with dimensions and look of the mock up. Will need separate conveyors for coal and iron ore, will have one at right angle going over the running line towards the backscene that runs along side the bunker and another longer one heading straight over where the 37 is sat at a slight angle connecting to smaller one for the loading of HGVs, like the one in the bottom photo.

Jez

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2470.PNG

Edited by Mr Pix
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all

Have been experimenting on a way of loading the wagons whilst there  been drawn through the loader. Came up with using funnels which will be hidden inside the structure which will have a whole in the roof where I can pore the material which has been pre-measure as the wagons slowly draw through, may have to use a pitch roof to hide the hole as much as possible.

Had some trial runs seams to be ok but once the cladding will be added won't be able to see and judge the right moment to pore the material. I may have part of the bunker sat on H section girders with space so I can see the wagons as the pass through so I can get the time just right.

The large funnel feeds into the smaller one which slows the rate of flow down quite nicely  just need to experiment a bit more and try different materials to represent coal and iron ore pellets.

thanks for looking.

Jez

IMG_2471.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

How about one of the small micro CCTV cameras off eBay?  They are only a few cms in size (think button size) and connected to an old TV, would give you an ideal view.

Rich

7 hours ago, MarshLane said:

How about one of the small micro CCTV cameras off eBay?  They are only a few cms in size (think button size) and connected to an old TV, would give you an ideal view.

Rich

Great idea Rich.. never crossed  my mind I'll look into it ...cheers 

Jez

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

A little more progress on the layout, had a go at scratch building two half relief feeder buildings that are connected by a conveyor. They are fed from the structures that appear on the backscene of the Works. The taller of the the two will then link up over the running line to the main flood loader via another conveyor.

Lack of materials is stopping the start of the main Loader building, plus I need to get on with the wiring and with  converting to DCC ...etc .

Jez

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

• Like 7

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and am following this thread as I'm in the process of starting to model a steelworks. Yours looks good and the scratch buildings look great. I wondered if you looked at the Walthers building kits of steelworks? I'm trying to source some but suspect I'll end up scratch building....and I am a complete novice at that.

22 minutes ago, JC said:

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and am following this thread as I'm in the process of starting to model a steelworks. Yours looks good and the scratch buildings look great. I wondered if you looked at the Walthers building kits of steelworks? I'm trying to source some but suspect I'll end up scratch building....and I am a complete novice at that.

Hi ... My previous layout on this forum was a steelworks themed layout in N gauge" Lackenthorpe". I used some Walthers buildings kits they were excellent but they are N scale so will not be much use for this one. They have more variety in oo/ho,  you can modify them very easily. I got mine whilst I was on several holidays in the US, there are quite expensive especially if your in the UK, but they are great.

I use ribbed card  for the cladding bought from my local stationary shop for the exterior of the buildings so far and the frame work out of left over bits of wood or aluminium sheets.  Steelworks structures and buildings tend to be on the massive size and very dirty, lots of grime . Works also have gas mains (pipes)running all over the place some raised high on stilts above ground level or attached to the exterior of buildings.

Good look.

jez

• Like 1