Heritage Railway Photos

Nice pictures, and something a little different too.

Couple of comments:

The EMU referred to as a 309 would probably be the 306, as 309s didn't run in 3 coach formation and the surviving 306 is set 017.

The LMS EMU at Hornby in Margate is presumably an ex Merseyside unit. Could be Class 502 or 503, depending on which survives - unless it is an earlier unit altogether.

• Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

........ Used to work .... at the Mid Hants before I quit volunteering there due to 'differences' with the older circle of volunteers ..........

Could have said exactly the same myself - though I'd probably use the term 'Bunch of volunteers' ( upper case B ).

Anyway ...... spot the difference !

2589.26_;_DSC_0717.JPG

Incidentally ....... should this thread be in the 'Preservation' area ?

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I see mention was made of 45379 (which, btw, will steam again at some stage although well down the queue). This is a shot of the thing on a freight on the MHR with yours truly giving the standard MHR greeting to the photographer (who is a mate)

IMG_2077 copy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, PhilH said:

I see mention was made of 45379 (which, btw, will steam again at some stage although well down the queue). This is a shot of the thing on a freight on the MHR with yours truly giving the standard MHR greeting to the photographer (who is a mate)

IMG_2077 copy.jpg

Ahhh!

The railway salute.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Could have said exactly the same myself - though I'd probably use the term 'Bunch of volunteers' ( upper case B ).

Anyway ...... spot the difference !

2589.26_;_DSC_0717.JPG

Incidentally ....... should this thread be in the 'Preservation' area ?

Wow. I had no idea how small the APT body profile was compared to standard BR stock. I had seen the APTs during the early 1980s, and under construction at Derby in the late 70s, but the direct side-by-side comparison was never quite as dramatic.  I am beginning to understand the claustrophobic feelings some passengers may have had inside the saloon carriages.  

22 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Wow. I had no idea how small the APT body profile was compared to standard BR stock. I had seen the APTs during the early 1980s, and under construction at Derby in the late 70s, but the direct side-by-side comparison was never quite as dramatic.  I am beginning to understand the claustrophobic feelings some passengers may have had inside the saloon carriages.  

Thinking about it, it does look kinda narrow compared to BR coaches.

35 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Well, we won't be getting claustrophobic feelings on the East Coast for much longer ............ and then, no feeling whatsoever in our bums beyond, perhaps, Welwyn.

But that's not the difference ( on 4308 ) I was trying to highlight.

• RMweb Gold

Thought you were doing heritage railways not theme parks!  To be fair that railway has recently started a little not to heritage probably since Hoskins got involved but hasn't stretched to taking coach names off yet

The sidings are network rails goodrington carriage sidings which are used for charters and lay over trains

45 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

The difference between the unrestored picture of 4308 and the restored picture? I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. 

All photos of 4308 were taken at the same time : one car's still wearing faded NSE 'toothpaste' stripes - but the other sparkles in ........... ? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AlexHolt said:

iIts been a few years since I went there. We used it on a day out to Dartmouth. I'll admit Its very different to other railways, probably doesn't count as a heritage line and is like a theme park ride in all honesty. Those are some pretty large sidings for whats essentially a branch line route, Paignton station was only being served by Pacers and Single car DMUs. 

I think HSTs use them on summer Saturdays and charters certainly do

Is this thread exclusively for standard gauge railways? I've probably got a fair few photos from when I worked for the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway.

In the meantime; the Class 14 at Norton Fitzwarren with a short train being used for a GWR train planning 'practical education' day (playing trains). The formation was the 14, 3x mk1s and a 47 on the other end. Driving the 14 back up the hill to Bishops Lydeard was good fun! (2016)

IMG_20160409_142817_hdr.jpg.538e19bdaa87ba612537e879ac16107a.jpg

Severn Valley (2016)

IMG_20160605_154026.jpg.7a800a2d72f1ac5a9a5cdfd1a0e5bffa.jpg

• Like 2