Replacement boxes

A tad expensive at £5 a box, particularly as you're advertising for them every time you take your models anywhere.

I would suggest one of the packaging suppliers, in Derby I used "Davpak"(other suppliers available,Google is your friend)  for my boxes for kits and for storage of my personal, built up, models. The only problem is you have to buy in bulk, maybe in co with others or sell the excess on, but lots of size and type  choices. 

Another point is that Rails suggest using bubble wrap to pack them, beware of this as bubble wrap can attack the paint or plastic unless used with something like paper kitchen towel or tissue between it and the model, don't ask how I know. 

Phil T.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

A tad expensive at £5 a box, particularly as you're advertising for them every time you take your models anywhere.

I would suggest one of the packaging suppliers, in Derby I used "Davpak"(other suppliers available,Google is your friend)  for my boxes for kits and for storage of my personal, built up, models. The only problem is you have to buy in bulk, maybe in co with others or sell the excess on, but lots of size and type  choices. 

Another point is that Rails suggest using bubble wrap to pack them, beware of this as bubble wrap can attack the paint or plastic unless used with something like paper kitchen towel or tissue between it and the model, don't ask how I know. 

Phil T.

Small price assuming the locos concerned are going to be considerably more the a fiver each.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, RexAshton said:

Small price assuming the locos concerned are going to be considerably more the a fiver each.

I have no objection to paying for decent boxes to keep expensive stock in  but still think these are expensive for what they are.

11 minutes ago, Phil Traxson said:

I have no objection to paying for decent boxes to keep expensive stock in  but still think these are expensive for what they are.

Phil

The sad fact about retail now is that it costs as much to handle an inexpensive item as it does an expensive. Quite often people query why a large box of a commodity is not priced pro rata in cost/size to a small box. The answer is it costs the same to handle the small item as it does the large one, 

Sadly these days the cost of human intervention has increased the costs of less expensive items 

Hello,

Surely the people that manufacture products deserve a wage they can live on. Five for twenty quid is cheaper than you could get them made in Britain I would think.

Too many people want something for nothing these days or at the expense of someone else.

trustytrev.:o

Do you want these boxes to send things through the post or merely to store them for later use. If the latter then I would use a foam lined tray with foam strips between the rows. If you have a very large number then a small chest of drawers would be suitable. I think that places like Dunelm or The Range sell small plastic chests with shallow drawers that would be just right for 00 stuff.

Robert

I think that providing you do not need endless supplies the boxes Cheltenham model center supply are 2 part boxes, not only very robust, but are visually well finished and sold in 3 sizes ideal for model locos, even have a choice in colours.

If you have bought a loco cheaply, of spent time and money on building it what's £3 or so 

Boxes can often be found at toy fairs etc. at around £2.50 to £3.50 depending on size. (Similar to the old Hornby Dublo Locomotive boxes - base and slide on lid. Possibly the same as CMC's?)

Alternatively they can be made from cardboard and covered with self adhesive vinyl sheet.