De Glehn Atlantics - end or plan view?

Mad_Dan_Eccles

'Evening all...

I have got onto something of a compound kick lately and have unearthed a number of drawings and diagrams of both the Nord type as well as the slighly larger PO/Etat pattern (which were the basis of the seond batch of GWR engines). To date I have sectional view, a sectiotnal plan view and diagrams of  PO  Etat types as well as the Nord and Mid engines and the GWR locos. That means I have nearly enough to devlop some working drawings, but what i have not found are end or plan views  of any of these which show important deatls such as width over cab sheest and splashers.  I have some ideas and end views of other SACM built compounds, but wondered if any one could steer me towards a source whether it be online print or archive drawings?  Its the later and slightly larger PO and Etat engines that are of most interest - vague ideas about a triple build of one GWR, one PO and one Etat engine are burbling around in my brain.

Thanks  

Thank you both 

Fred  - That link to the Loco Revue forum is much appreciated, though it definitely challenges my rarely used schoolboy French -  I tried very hard not to use google but gave in to the need for assistance Anything in the Museon de Rodo scrapbooks relating to any of the SACM compound 4-4-2s would be appreciated, though my main interest for now is in the Paris-Orleans and Etat engines as these were the engines with the slightly bigger boiler, inside frame bogie and larger grate. I have side view diagrams of both the PO and Etat engines, and the pictures on the forum are extremely useful.   There is an unfinished JN Maskelyne drawing of GWR 103 in Russell's book on GWR engines which has provided some information, but this shows the GWR standard taper boiler. 

Michael  - van Riemsdijk has been ordered.  

On 10/12/2019 at 09:56, Gordon A said:

Have you tried the National Railway Museum?

I would have thought Swindon would have had some drawings for the French engines.

Gordon A

Thanks Gordon

As far as i have been able to find out the only drawings presently available are the weight diagrams (side views only) of which I already have copies. However it seems a good line to pursue - there were some obviosu differneces and a few slightly less obvious ones between the GWR  and PO and Etat engines

• RMweb Premium

Need to check the details but the 2014 Hors series No. 3 from Rails d'autrefois* has drawings of the GWR De Glehn.   

* From le circle historique de rails francais     http://railsdautrefois.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=38

21€ for non members including postage.

Thnaks Andy, though I think it still likely to be worth writing away for a copy. With Fred's material and the side and front views of the PO machines in L-M Vilain's "Chemins do Fer d'Orleans et du Midi" I have plenty to go on as long as no  oneruns a micrometer over finished product.  

Thank you all very much for your advice and assistance. 

Edited by Mad_Dan_Eccles

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2019 at 07:49, Michael Edge said:

Have a search for this book:

Compound Locomotives by J.T. van Riemsdijk

ISBN 0-906899-61-3

Lots of photos and drawings of all sorts of compound locos in there.

Incidentally a fascinating read, highly recommended if you enjoy reading about historical engineering development, as well as about steam locos.