Model Rail Scotland 2020 - Glasgow SEC 21st - 23rd February

ColinRae

On 30/01/2020 at 10:19, Kier Hardy said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Alloa again..... no flimsy support legs on this layout - I can vouch for that. 

Hopefully I'll spot it in my wing mirrors this time!!

Kier I laughed out loud when I read that..sort of comment that Mrs Jacksons boy would have made..good one!

Our group all agree that the layout list at this years show is looking exceptional and with Hornsey Broadway right at the top of my own must see list.

There are a fair few top names attending this year and we are especially delighted to welcome guests like yourself making the journey north with such inspirational layouts.

As part of the set up team I will be welcoming you on Thursday so look forward to that.

All the best and drive carefully.

Davy Scott. 

Edited by vitalspark
grammar!
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My club, Glasgow & West of Scotland MRC, are exhibiting our new layout Phoenix Lane at this years show, which will be its first ever outing. Here are a few pictures of some of the buildings on it. The station building is a scale replica of the one at North Queensferry. No trains in these shots. To see them you'll have to come to the show.

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

This will be my 4th visit to this show. Having done it as a day trip by train & air in the past, & a weekend trip by air before, I am doing another day trip by train.

For me, the journey is part of the day out.

The show is well worth it.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think it looks like I'll be visiting Sat and Sunday this year . The show is so large that I find it really takes two days to do it justice, combined with the retail therapy of course .   I travel by train as there appears no add on for the Glasgow Central SECC bit , so its effectively the same as me travelling into Glasgow . I think when last I did it, car parking was £12. Probably more now , so quids in going by train.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

parking charges at the secc are ludicrous. Whenever we go to an event or concert I always park at the science centre and use one of the bridges to walk over.  Saves a fortune although the science centre parking charge has gone up a bit in recent years. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, jacko said:

parking charges at the secc are ludicrous. Whenever we go to an event or concert I always park at the science centre and use one of the bridges to walk over.  Saves a fortune although the science centre parking charge has gone up a bit in recent years. 

Go by train?

• Like 1

On 07/02/2020 at 17:56, lmsforever said:

Go by train?

It's almost as far to our nearest station as it is into glasgow and by the time I've paid return fares for 2 adults and 2 kids I'm looking at the best part of £25. A fiver to park then a 300 yard walk seems the more sensible option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, lambiedg said:

There is indeed a Park and Ride at Newton and there will be a 4mm version at the SEC in the shape of Hallside which is based on Newton and gives another option.......

How did you do your red ballast? I'm in the process of starting my layout based in Scotland, and have been struggling to find a suitable red ballast to match the lines local to me.

Well thats the Alloa make over now complete and although I say it myself  its looking really well and back to its original best with colours that had subtly faded a bit now as they should be.

A number of 'Real & Model' comparison pics have been taken for display so attached a few of these.

Scan-125.jpg

DSC03620.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Richy59 said:

How did you do your red ballast? I'm in the process of starting my layout based in Scotland, and have been struggling to find a suitable red ballast to match the lines local to me.

If your in Scotland go to the shale bings around west lothian. . . Mountains of red shale waste you could sieve out 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

If your in Scotland go to the shale bings around west lothian. . . Mountains of red shale waste you could sieve out 

Hi all,

Red 'Scottish' ballast is available to buy from several of the usual scenic product makes.

I'm lucky in that all I need to do is walk out the door, down the road for a few hundred yards and can pick up some good size chunks to smash up.

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah I'm not a million miles from a couple of them, at least one is being cleared commercially, and the other was torn up by scramble bikes for years so lots of dust waste around . If not  I was thinking of grinding some up with a morter and pestle. Just need to drop in as I'm passing sometime and ask for a bucket  full  :good:

Anyway looking forward to the show :ok:

On 09/02/2020 at 13:51, Richy59 said:

Hi Richy59,

I'm pretty sure its a pre-made n gauge product, i cant remember the brand but i'll find out the details and post a URL to the item for you

• Like 1