Model Rail Scotland 2020 - Glasgow SEC 21st - 23rd February

ColinRae

• RMweb Premium

Had a great time, with some really great layouts on display in all scales. Went in with the advanced ticket holders at 10am and left just on 5pm, having been round the hall several times.

Just about to sit down and read the programme ... and find out all what I missed :(:rolleyes:

Got my Tunnocks containers but by the time I went back to R3 Resprays they had sold out of their Irn Bru ones. Should have got them when I saw them. The containers were destined to be my only purchase but then I saw the Heljan stand, "Oh Look, new Class 27's" :D

• Like 2

Just got home after a brilliant day in Glasgow apart from the rain .the layouts were brilliant Whithorn ,Alloa ,Hills of the North,Elliot Bridge,Rannoch,Hallside  very pleasant guys  good to meet them,All in all a great day out and the journey both ways good the new operator is carrying on were Virgin stopped good food good service.Met some interesting and pleasant people as usual a relaxed day and the trade was worth  the day liked the guy from The Scottish Wildlife a great team doing a good job.See you all next year. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/02/2020 at 10:58, jacko said:

parking charges at the secc are ludicrous. Whenever we go to an event or concert I always park at the science centre and use one of the bridges to walk over.  Saves a fortune although the science centre parking charge has gone up a bit in recent years. 

Up to 9 hours stay is £5.00, which should cover a stay.  https://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org/visit/parking
Figuring out how to pay for your ticket in a “bus shelter” on a wet and dark night a wee bit of a challenge though!  Otherwise recommended.

Edited by 26power
To make more sense!

36 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

strange things on Alloa NCD No,6 from kinneil colliery

I rather liked that, thought it's brief inclusion in one of the freights as though being transferred from works to one of the pits was a nice idea :)

• Like 1

Despite spraining my ankle en roiute  I had a most enjoyable day at the Show in Glasgow.  Highlights for me were the two P4 layouts (Stands C9 and A7) from the East and West Scotland 4mm Groups, especially the West's excellent moorland effort.  I was also surporised and delighted to find a small British H0 outline shunting layout at Stand C6 and the trams from Weir Pumps(?) were also back this year.

Didn't buy much, mind you, only Vol 3 of the pre-Grouping Liveries Series but I was amazed to see how far MDF and card laser cutting had developed over the past few years.  It might now even be possible to do wagon bodies in successive layers, so thinly can they cut now.

Really enjoyed the show again this year, big thank you to the organisers and exhibitors for a great show.  My personal favourite was Hornsey Broadway, a superb layout but there were so many others that were finished to a really good standard.  Nice to meet up with Jim S-W and Alex after many years, Looking forward to next year already!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Visited yesterday after travelling from Preston, I had not been for 5 years due to various factors, really enjoyed it, thought there were some fabulous layouts and enjoyed my day without damaging my wallet to much!

Will certainly look to going again next year.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes well done all organisers and exhibitors . Just back from my 47th Model Rail Scotland in a row . I still remember the MacLellan galleries fondly compared to the big shed, a;though it must be in the SECC for 30 years now .No doubt it’s more practical .  I think Model Rail Scotland has upped its game a bit . Layouts like Hornsey, Whithorn , Hills of the North (the Shap layout) ,Hallside all excellent  and there were many others .  Nice chatting to guys on DCC stand that I had previously ignored because of the name , I’m firmly analogue . But very interested in their power train, flocks , and track bed products . Good chat to the lady on the Rails stand too on the Caley 812 .  An excellent time . Will head back tomorrow with the camera . 

I never pay SECC parking charges, they are horrendous . I use the train . Might do that again tomorrow but may equally use the Science Centre 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Yes well done all organisers and exhibitors . Just back from my 47th Model Rail Scotland in a row . I still remember the MacLellan galleries fondly compared to the big shed, a;though it must be in the SECC for 30 years now .No doubt it’s more practical .  I think Model Rail Scotland has upped its game a bit . Layouts like Hornsey, Whithorn , Hills of the North (the Shap layout) ,Hallside all excellent  and there were many others .  Nice chatting to guys on DCC stand that I had previously ignored because of the name , I’m firmly analogue . But very interested in their power train, flocks , and track bed products . Good chat to the lady on the Rails stand too on the Caley 812 .  An excellent time . Will head back tomorrow with the camera . 

I never pay SECC parking charges, they are horrendous . I use the train . Might do that again tomorrow but may equally use the Science Centre 

Parking cost me £11  and whilst this seems a lot, it was cheaper than taking the train.

A great show, as always, many thanks to all those involved.

For those arriving by train, it is about time the SEC/Glasgow City Council did something about the disgraceful state of the walkway from Exhibition Centre station; 'Glass' so filthy nothing can be seen through it, puddles throughout due to leaks, wind howling through, not to mention the exposed walks at the station side and at the SEC, the latter being plenty far enough to get soaked into today's weather, not exactly unusual in the West of Scotland. And why half the width is given over to cyclists, when I saw not a single one using it, either yesterday or today, is a mystery. Maybe something will be done in time for the international climate summit in November.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Really enjoyed the show again this year, big thank you to the organisers and exhibitors for a great show.  My personal favourite was Hornsey Broadway, a superb layout but there were so many others that were finished to a really good standard.  Nice to meet up with Jim S-W and Alex after many years, Looking forward to next year already!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Good to see you too, though managed to miss Jim.  Agree with your comments about Hornsey Broadway; even without any stock or signs of the tube it still screamed out where and when it was set.

This is the first that I've been to the show in four or five years; went back today for another look.  Hoping, work permitting, that I get back next year.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

Has a great day at the show today. Took my better half and my 5 year old Grandson for his birthday treat. There were some phenomenal layouts this year. First time I've seen Alloa in the flesh and it was easily my favourite of the show. Very inspirational.  Melton Mowbray caught my attention too although I was surprised it was 2mm - I was convinced it was 4mm when I read about it a few years ago. Overall the standard of modelling this year was superb although there were one or two that seemed to be suffering from constant derailments.  Possibly controversially, I was a bit underwhelmed by Shap after all the hype it's had in the magazines. Maybe if I'd been alone and had half an hour to trainspot it would have had more impact.  Suffice to say the 'swiss' G scale layout held my Grandson's attention more than any other layout.   Next year I'll go alone. 

Parking - I tried the road behind the exhibition station (off St Vincent street)  but they've changed from the mon - fri restrictions to all week and the ticket machine stipulates a max 2 hours. looks like glasgow council are trying to force all SEC  event goers into the mutli-storey. We ended up parking at the science centre. OK on the way in but we but got caught in horizontal hail on the way back across the Clyde.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Arrived back late this afternoon. Great organisation, modelling etc. Horrendous weather which I hope didn't detract from the visitor numbers. Minor moan, I enjoy looking at modelling above all else, but I don't mind a train running around every now and then. I don't find movement at all distracting!

Great to meet up with our suppliers in no particular order, Hornby, Bachmann, Gaugemaster, Peco and Accurascale.

I know it is still going on but can anybody confirm the dates for 2021?  Just about to book our hotel for next year.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, caradoc said:

For those arriving by train, it is about time the SEC/Glasgow City Council did something about the disgraceful state of the walkway from Exhibition Centre station; 'Glass' so filthy nothing can be seen through it, puddles throughout due to leaks, wind howling through, not to mention the exposed walks at the station side and at the SEC, the latter being plenty far enough to get soaked into today's weather, not exactly unusual in the West of Scotland. And why half the width is given over to cyclists, when I saw not a single one using it, either yesterday or today, is a mystery. Maybe something will be done in time for the international climate summit in November.

As my two year old said as we walked over on Friday, after asking if we were in the forest (with the trees beside part of the walkway), when pointing at the stains on the glass, ‘daddy, who did that, was it monkeys?’

Think he thought we were in some kind of zoo!!

at the exhibition, he enjoyed the Triang layout, big scale harbour and the ‘drive yourself’ Thomas layout. Really important to have these things to engage the youngsters, well done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Agree all the comments about this being a great show. As far as I was concerned yesterday, Friday, was wonderful - absolutely wonderful!

i spent the day there, and thought I saw everything. But looking at the photos on here, I suspect I missed some - did I really not see Camel Quay, despite it being on my 'must see' list!  It was a good idea to have 'Hills of the North - Shap' and 'Alloa' far up the hall, as that ensured people spread around the hall.  

I enjoyed those two: other layouts that stood out for me were Whithorn (wonderfully modelled, of a forgotten bit of Scotland many Scots have never been to!), Kettlewell (seen before, but now with an exquisite new station building), Towcester, and Scarlington (interesting amalgam of buildings from across the North of England - I thought I recognised York Station Hotel; columns and arch, and river and bridges from Newcastle; but was stumped by the station itself).

it is invidious to pick these out, when there was such high quiality across the board, and so many interesting ideas and such a high standard of execution.

It was a delight to see regulars such as Tony and Mrs Wright, various societies, and lots of traders. 

I'll stop now now before I get carried away reliving an excellent day!  Many thanks to AMRSS and everyone,

John Storey

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bino said:

Parking cost me £11  and whilst this seems a lot, it was cheaper than taking the train.

it costs me £5 from my local station Bishopton return to Exhibition Centre , actually the same as I would pay going to Glasgow Central .  I believe in value for money just object to the SECC rip off . No doubt the AMRSS is already paying handsomely for the hall.

agree on the comments on the walkway from Station to SECC . Not a great advert for Glasgow is it? 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 2

Excellent day trip to Glasgow for the exhibition, used Avanti from Warrington as they had the best Advance offers, though it was good to see 397s operating for TPE so maybe next year from Manchester again eh.

Spent 4 1/2 hours wandering the hall and the layout choices filled the time nicely.

knackered now though after 13 hours out and about.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A heads up re parking. Last few years I've parked at 175 Elliot Street car park. It's £2.50 all day and about a 10 minute walk to the hall (although long enough to have got drowned in yesterdays weather).

This year I was staying at the Campanile hotel on Thursday night right next to the Hydro, so just a quick 5 minutes dash to the hall (although still got soaked!)

• Friendly/supportive 1