Cutting a STL for printing?

Hi All,

I have designed loads of Locos in 0 Gauge and 3.5" Gauge i.e Class 40, Class 30, GWR Pannier etc.... 

I would like to know what would be the best way to split (Cut) the file for for reassembly? I have 10 printers including large build XYZ super, IdeaMaker Super etc and no novice to design and printing. I am using Netfabb Pro 2019.

Just wondering if there is a standard way in the world of Model Railway?

Thanks

Loco.jpg

Cutting models in parts depends on the possibilities of 3D printing. I always try to avoid supporting structures that have to be cleaned after the job. Some vertikal parts may be easier to print horizontally. Details like pipes and handrails have mostly to be printed separately. And finally it depends on how the underframe and the chassis is constructed.

My principle is to cut as less as possible and as much as necessary. Assembling PLA is not like our conventional plastic models, because there are very few adhesives that do an acceptable job on this material. When mechanical stability is needed, I weld the parts from inside using a 3D pen.

I'd recommend to have a look on ready to run models. Usually it's divided in driver's cab, boiler with front frame and cylinders. If the boiler is to long, then cut at the rings to hide the joint.

• Like 1

As suggested by Patriot Class  study  ready to run models  & also bear in mind allowing sufficient thickness  to give  strength, accessibility to  surfaces  if they need cleaning up or sanding to give a better finish  &  allowing room for motor mechanisms  &  possibly weights  to increase adhesion , Try some test prints  for evaluation .Hope that helps- would be interested in what steam era locos you intend  to print

HI, Thanks all for your replies, Okay so the thickness is not an issue main body is around 40mm thick, Thicker on my Diesels. 

I am more focused on (GODS WONDERFUL RAILWAY) GWR from the early days, day dot, through to BR I do have some Militarily Locos and some Trams that I made just for classes I did a while back.

I will have a crack at splitting today and gluing. The motors are all set 12v sets using the wagons, coaches as Control Module and battery holders keeping cost and design down. The only thing in the Locos will be drive gears and motors thats it. Down full you cant run without a wagon or coach except with Tender Engines... 

Thanks