Replacement OO gauge wagon bogies and running gear

Hi everyone, I need some replacement bogie frames and 2-axle running gear (without axels and wheels) for about 70 OO Gauge modern era Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby wagons (see attachment). Can anyone suggest where they can be sourced from?

The reason I need all these parts is that half a lifetime ago I had grand ideas of building a room size layout using Peco finescale track with medium radius spiral easement curves. Rolling stock would be fitted with Kadee couplings suitable for the medium radius curves. Lots of miscellaneous rolling stock was bought and converted to Kadee. The wagon conversions consisted either replacing the exiting NEM mounted tension lock couplings with a suitable Kadee where this would provide the correct coupling height and spacing between wagons. The rest were converted by removing the NEM coupling pockets and mountings on the bogies or running gear and fixing the Kadees behind the buffer beam mounted on pieces of polystyrene of a suitable thickness to achieve the correct height. All this held in place with super glue. So that leaves two problems for this batch (1) obtaining replacement bogies or running gear and (2) removing the remaining styrene if it causes any obstructions to operation of the bogies or running gear. Naturally I need to do (1) first as, otherwise, (2) won’t be necessary.

Anyway, back to the story. Most of the baseboards were built and installed, The track was about to be laid when disaster struck. After dealing with two serious illnesses, three house moves and advancing age I no longer have the ability to start building baseboards again. I have built a small lightweight baseboard complete with a Peco Setrack starter set. This is being used to check the 25 locos that are sitting waiting to be sold. Most of these didn't get the butcher's axe and retain their original couplings, they just need to be dusted off, lubricated and checked for function and operation (and my own amusement before I sell them.)

Alternatively, I would be willing to sell the Kadee fitted wagons individually without further modification. But where to advertise them? The RM Web for sale section seems quite small for this quantity of stock. eBay is the obvious answer and I have already sold several wagons which have been retro-fitted with their original tension lock couplings. However, selling wagons on eBay with Kadee couplings suitable for medium radius curves would be a difficult undertaking as many buyers could easily make successful bids and then be disappointed that they had bought unsuitable wagons because they hadn't read the warnings about dangerous curves ahead. This could lead to expensive returns and recrimination which could affect my current good standing as a seller on eBay.

In summary, it seems that I have four choices:

Source replacement bogies and running gear.

Obtain suitable 3d printing files and get the bits printed.

Sell the wagons as is.

Keep them and run them on the Setrack starter set (of course this wouldn’t work but I could dream about it).

Apologies for being so long-winded.

Finally, any help or suggestions will be very welcome.

Brian Gledhill (bkk-bkk)

kd work list (mr web).docx

2 hours ago, bkk-bkk said:

...Sell the wagons as is....

I should think the appeal here is simplicity and economy of both expenditure and effort, but a slight variation might be better. First, take the Kadee couplers off the wagons.

Sell the wagons explicitly as 'modified and without any couplers or provision for mounting couplers'.

Sell the Kadees.

Hello 34C

You are spot on with the simplicity and economy. And such a simple suggestion. I'll keep this idea in mind for any of the wagons that I can't easily get modified.

One of my concerns is not getting a bad reputation as an eBay seller. People do buy without reading the small print and as I mentioned before returns and recriminations could be deadly.

I did read some of the posts about eBay on this Forum yesterday and it does seem that there are quite a few idiots around.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Brian Gledhill

Hi Brian....I sold most of my large collection of wagons over the last year with no real problems. Some were kadee modified, some were 3 link and most were bog standard. I stated what was what and had no bad press at all.

I have printed myself a nem coupler that I fit to my printed and modified rtr wagons, it is simple but allows either kadee 17-20's or tension type nem's. Dapol for example.

I vary the height depending on the wagon involved. I did print a diamond frame bogie as a replacement for some flimsy kit's too as an experiment.

Side frame detail is less than an injection moulded part but then their die and development costs are a bit higher than mine.

Amanda....  

NEM POCKET.jpg