Running US models in the UK

RateTheFreight

Afternoon all,

hopefully this is the right part of the forum to ask this.

I’ve been keen for some time to purchase a US O gauge (scale) starter set of the type Lionel produce with a view to creating a small (think 5 x 3 or 6 x 4) layout (think Christmas style layouts). They don’t look prototypical given the small space and large locos round tight curves but there’s something about them that’s appealing! 

What would I need to purchase in order to be able to run this set in the UK? I’m guessing the loco is AC so I’d need some kind of converter o DC and an adapter for the US plug? 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Greg 

Edited by RateTheFreight

• RMweb Premium

I have quite and extensive modern Lionel/MTH system and I use a 200v-100v step-down transformer - similar to the one(s) available through Amazon - as recommended above. 

Works well and I don't have problems with the 50/60 cycle issue - I have a variety of controllers from Lionel/MTH/Atlas.

good luck!

andrew

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

so my wife kindly purchased the Lionel Union Pacific Flyer Lionchief set for Christmas which has duly arrived.

I’d purchased the 500w step down transformer highlighted above which is due to imminently arrive.

What I’m slightly confused about is that the power pack that came with the set is DC (the control is remote and the loco can also be controlled via phone). So, do I still need to plug the power back Into the step down unit or just buy a US-UK adaptor plug? The manual states that the loco can run on AC (and states most US locos do so). 

any help greatly appreciated.

greg 

You need to check the mains input voltage quoted on the power pack, it will either be 110V only (US std) or universal 100 to 240V.

Either of these can be used with the step down transformer, only the universal one can be connected directly to UK mains.

The track voltage, AC or DC, is not relevant to this issue.

Rgds

• Agree 1

Greg,

for lionchief, you don’t need anything you don’t already have!

put the loco on your ordinary DC railway; set the ordinary DC controller to give something about 12V (precision not necessary); switch-on your lionchief remote; away you go.

the electronic gubbins onboard the loco will happily eat either AC or DC (with polarity either way round).

I’ve been running a lionchief loco like this for 5+ years.

Modern MTH is the same, will accept either AC or DC, but doesn’t need a ‘remote’, you just drive it from the ordinary DC controller, and you get at least some of the sound functionality (which is immense fun!).

I inter-run the Lionchief Hall Class and the MTH GE 44 Tonner with Ace, vintage Bassett Lowke etc, on the same layout, at the same time.

Kevin

PS: these modern locos have permanent magnet can motors, so if/when all the fancy electronics dies, you can rip it all out and run them as straight DC track-controlled locos anyway.

A504FCC4-5882-4C16-95AC-B8FAA25121F7.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

Dear Greg,

Definitely use a step-down transformer! Mains-Powered units manuf'd in the US for the US market _commonly_ are hardwired for "110/120VAC Mains",
they frequently do NOT have the kind of "switchmode" functionality which allows a Euro/Aussie Mains-Powered (C-tick, CE, etc) device to "auto-range"/adjust to any Mains Voltage 110 - 250VAC... 

In my previous pro gig, I had a crew at a tradeshow in Asia (accidentally) blow up a full 7.1 set of studio-grade monitors.
When the smoke cleared and ears-stopped-ringing,
the root of the problem turned-out to be that the speaker rig had been purchased "on the fly" for the previous tradeshow in the US,
and had been blindly shipped "direct to the next show" (along with the demo editing system).

As the speakers were "US Manuf for the US market", they did not even have a manual "Mains Voltage selector" switch,
let alone any form of "auto Mains-Voltage switching" capability, because...
...well, they were intended to be used in the 110VAC US, and why would they need to handle any other voltage?... Right???

Under the pressure of getting a late-arriving demo system up and ready for "doors open" at the show, 
the asian techs missed that these were "US Only" (hardwired 110VAC) speakers,
plugged everything in,
hit the Power Switch to the display stand....

...and instantly Pyro'd all 7 speakers and the Subwoofer....
(Was a really bright and impressive set of flashes surrounding the stand for a moment,
followed by darkness and the pungent smell of burnt copper+insulation+sillicon).

Now, your new Lionel set is not a world-class Pro Audio Tradeshow display,
(It's Far More Important than that!),
but I'd _absolutely_ and _strongly_ reccomend that you _wait_ for that stepdown-transformer,
(Lionel Mains-Powered gear is clearly "US Manuf'd for the US Market"), 

or at-the-very-least, have a good look at the base of the PSU/Throttle unit for _any_ indication of the intended Input Mains Voltage range...
(If it's hardwired with a US two-pin plug, then the likelyhood that it's electrically "110VAC only",
and no simple "Mains Physical Plug Format adaptor" will solve the Mains Voltage mismatch...)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS if the Lionel pack _is_ 110VAC only, 
then you only have a single-chance to "get it right" (or devastatingly-wrong),
and as it's a "present from your Significant Other",
that's not a "One Chance, NO Fix if it's Wrong" risk you want to take...

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
  • Agree 3

240v / 110v step-Down transformers are easy to find on eBay, or in your local tool store - quite a lot of power tools use 110v. Look at the plugs, though - the UK style, yellow 3 pin plug doesn’t match the American style plug. 

Sounds like you have everything you need, but don’t plug a US appliance into a U.K. socket without a step-down transformer.