Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

Bagged a couple of dual braked (thus MW fitted) examples from Hattons yesterday.

If you want any of these folks get in now as the 76022 stock is very low and the 76014 examples sold out a bit back (as did the black ones).

They still have plenty of the vac braked ones, especially the green one BUT I visited there the other week and they said that once they're gone, they're gone, no repeat orders.

I'll be content with a dozen or so, halfway there now.

EM2 stocks remain healthy but it's only a matter of time before they're gone too.

Good job i got my EM2 last week then.

post-4249-0-83211900-1527389467.jpg

I bought my EM1 from Olivias about two years ago when they were about £176 which just goes to show that they will sell at the right price.Just watch them shoot up in price on ebay :O.

A couple of years ago, i asked Dave of DCmodels if their was any likelyhood of an EM1 in N as that was the scale i was working in at the time.I got some support on RMweb & he was quite interested especially in the idea of a box set comprising of a powered model & a dummy so that a multiple working could be achieved.Sadly,the idea fizzled out but it would have been a fascinating model.

Ray.

The Trix EM1 stands up pretty well today despite being 3.8mm scale & it really works.this is one of mine,repainted from a tatty model.

post-4249-0-54465800-1527392667_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-93696400-1527392688_thumb.jpg

This is my Triang EM2 running off the catenary.

Ray

And just slightly off the subject,my Trix AL1 running off the catenary,i said these projects take on a life of their own!!!.

Ray

Got an old Trix 26010... Somewhere!

Needs DCCing though. I'm a complete novice re DCC but for a TMD I can't see me having much choice in the matter, at least not unless I'm willing to fit a boatload of isolated sections.

I'm not!

I should be able to keep these models running for years,spares are available from the TTRCA,thats where the pans came from.

They keep all these vintage trains running.My Trix Transpennine unit.

Ray.

Incidentally (and as you can probably guess from my username) I also have a thing for WCML wibbly-wobbly sparkies.

My ex GU/RS driver colleague calls them that due to the 50 cycles/second AC thing, and I just latched onto it he he.

Anyway my point being, every single class 87 visited Reddish ETD for power pack mods in the late 1970s. Reason was Crewe Works was snowed under with other work st the time (wish that were still the case!) and RS with its "obsolete" facilities was just the ticket.

As much as I'm taken with the lovely new Hornby 87, I'm currently on the lookout for Lima ones and even better if the motor is FUBAR.

As a bonus all of the AL7s were sent to Reddish without pans (for obvious reasons) over a few months, good job really as the Lima diamond effort is totally inappropriate for an 87.

Would look ok on a 76 or 506 though!

Had some 'Wolf of Badenoch' etched plates in storage for years.

(My favourite 87 that beast ps RIP.)

Now I know what I can do with the Lima pans!

As promised,a short video of my Heljan EM1 fitted with Trix pantographs,i`m hoping to wire them via a hidden switch to switch between OHLE & centre rail p/up.Sorry about the shakey video,trying to film & operate my phone at the same time is a bit tricky.

Ray.

I forgot to add that it`s hauling 11 Dublo tank wagons which have the running qualities of bricks,not bad for a non tyred loco.

• 4 months later...

The 76s are out there at good prices for those prepared to wait. I got a pro-weathered 76022 for £75 secondhand (but appears to have never run) from Arcadia in Shaw.

Thanks for your review. 

I thought you might be interested in a snap of the real thing, seen here;

post-7782-0-78536300-1539336264_thumb.jpg

In a shameless plug for my website, the album on Holland has some pics of the EM2's taken in 1984, IIRC they lasted until 1991, and I think one still runs in preservation. The EM1's were by no means life expired in 1981, and there was a possibility they would also be purchased by the Dutch for continuing operation. Woodhead itself carried around 100 trains a day each way in the late 1950's, and it was the demise of the traffic that lead to closure, plus a dose of politics, rather than any operational or technical problem.

John, with snaps at https://www.flickr.com/photos/51265696@N03/    

Archived