rr&co and loksound v5 decoder

gwrcollet

Does it have a two-digit address, or a four digit starting 00 (or three digit less than 128)?

Some systems get confused between two and four digit and the decoder only responds to the address type it's set for, even if that could be represented in either form.

If there is any possibility of that, you could try explicitly giving it a new, full four digit address and see if that works on both systems?

Hi Andymsa thanks for getting the loco running on the ECoS controller It is still the same loco, you may have worked that out?    I have today down loaded RR&Co v9  and run in demo mode all work ok but for that loco, I live in mid Glamorgan. I have change the address fron two-digit to four-digit (809 adderss) I changed this address a couple to time in case I got it wrong

Edited by gwrcollet

1 hour ago, gwrcollet said:

Hi Andymsa thanks for getting the loco running on the ECoS controller It is still the same loco, you may have worked that out?    I have today down loaded RR&Co v9  and run in demo mode all work ok but for that loco, I live in mid Glamorgan. I have change the address fron two-digit to four-digit (809 adderss) I changed this address a couple to time in case I got it wrong

Hi

robjuk may have a point there regarding 4 digit addresses. I’m not at home at the moment Back Friday, but I got some new locos to add to my system I shall try 4 digit addresses and I will see how TC responds and will report back. Just something to try in the meantime.

A. Try another loco with 4 digits address on TC 

B. Try a different 4 digit address for the problem loco

I would say send me the ESU file for that loco but I don’t use Lok programmer v5 yet as I don’t have any V 5 chips yet. Maybe someone on the esu forum might be able to look at the file to see if anything is amiss 

I forgot to add I’m not aware of issues with 4 digit addresses in TC

andy

Edited by Andymsa

You may need to buy the extension from the RR&Co website to get it to work with the ECoS. 

It’s called Hardware+

https://www.freiwald.com/pages/hardwareplus.htm

The other problem is that the decoder definition may not have been added to TC and programmer yet. 

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

Hi Andy I down loaded RR&CO v9 today and tried it in demo mode, layout work but still not that loco,

if I upgrade to v9 the extension hardware will come free?? they say in RR&CO price list not  available yet tried another loco I can change address ok, they have lokosound v4 decoders I only have the one v5 decoderavailable

I see you have posted on the RR&Co forum so maybe you will get an answer there. 

I have a few V5 Loksound fitted on my layout but have not yet tested the locos for automation but certainly have read the decoder profile over from the ECoS to TC to get the loco functions etc. This being done from read ECoS data base and select the loco in question and add to TC. 

Not tried the programmer software either so must try that. 

Not home until the weekend so cannot test anything. 

1 hour ago, gwrcollet said:

Hi Andy I down loaded RR&CO v9 today and tried it in demo mode, layout work but still not that loco,

if I upgrade to v9 the extension hardware will come free?? they say in RR&CO price list not  available yet tried another loco I can change address ok, they have lokosound v4 decoders I only have the one v5 decoderavailable

Hi

just looked at the +hardware strange it says unavailable. But it would be included with v9 versions purchased now according to the website. 

to clarify when you say layout is working does that include v4 decoders set to 4 digit addresses. I don’t have v5 decoders yet, personally I feel there to buggy at present and might wait awhile before buying any and I’m quite happy with v4 ones whilst stocks last. I may get just 1 v5 one to test this theory of possible incompatibility between TC and v5

Hi

im in my local shop now And have asked someone who has a good knowledge of the system and most definitely there is an issue with 4 digit addresses with the v5 chips the issue is not with TC. The highest cv address it will accept is 255. And there has been no updates to the ECoS to resolve the other issue you had. I believe the ECoS is still the issue. I’m told that 4 digits address work with Gaugemaster systems. I’m going to get one and test with digitrax.

update

my local shop has kindly lent me a loksound v5 to test on my system, once tested will report findings

Edited by Andymsa

Hi

testing update,

this is not trying to get people to suck eggs I’m just being as concise as possible with what I did to test. 

ok I tested the loksound v5 on the test track, programming done with the lok programmer and the lok programmer software v5 and decoder connected to the lok tester. Main dcc system is Digitrax. Decoder firmware updated aswell.

You can’t just input into cv1, the 4 digit address you need to use cv17 and 18. This is quite hard to calculate and the lok programmer software takes the pain out of working this out. On the software I chose long addresses under the address tab. I set this to 1000 and then selected write to decoder. I then tested on programming track and the decoder responded. I then created a new loco in Tc and programmed in an address of 1000. The decoder responded as expected. I did in fact try various 4 digit addresses.

so conclusion a lok sound v5 will work in TC with a 4 digit address. My money is on the ECoS and Tc compatibly but as a suggestion try programming with the lok programmer if you can and not the ECoS unit to see if this works.

link for 4 digit address calculation 

https://www.ruppweb.org/Xray/comp/decoder.htm

one test I did not do is the address of 807 which you want I will do that test shortly. I have also tested this address all worked ok

Edited by Andymsa
Website link

Hi Andy

Many  thanks for taking the time to try this for me, I used lok programmer to programe the decoder I chose the long address and changed the

address which worked fine and on ESOS controller, Which RR&CO version are you using? I will try again the answer is out there we just need to find it? nice to know V5 decoders will work. many Thanks again

18 hours ago, gwrcollet said:

Hi Andy

Many  thanks for taking the time to try this for me, I used lok programmer to programe the decoder I chose the long address and changed the

address which worked fine and on ESOS controller, Which RR&CO version are you using? I will try again the answer is out there we just need to find it? nice to know V5 decoders will work. many Thanks again

Hi,

im using v9a4 of TC.

with what you put I thought of something I might try. When I go back to my local shop To return the decoder they lent me, if there not to busy I will take my laptop with me and connect up Tc to an ECoS system to see if I get the same result as you. My gut feeling is that ECoS and Tc don’t play well together 

update,

unfortunately they don’t have an ECoS in stock, maybe someone here who has the ECoS and Traincontroller and a v5 ESU decoder may be able to help 

Edited by Andymsa

HI

I just had a thought you can download TC and run it in demo mode and it works your layout, what

if I download TP and run in demo mode to see if I can run the loco on a test track? I should be able

to down load the data from the decoder if it works? ( decoder information and loco address)

2 hours ago, gwrcollet said:

HI

I just had a thought you can download TC and run it in demo mode and it works your layout, what

if I download TP and run in demo mode to see if I can run the loco on a test track? I should be able

to down load the data from the decoder if it works? ( decoder information and loco address)

if memory serves TP doesn’t have a demo mode as such but limited functionality, I got it but never use it as I prefer the ESU programmer. But give it a go it won’t hurt.

I down loaded TP v9 and tried it out on an loksound v4 decoder, did not get on to well with the software but it ran ok

so then the loksound v5 decoder TP readed the decoder and the address of the decoder, tried to run it still no joy , tried

this a couple of times and with Railcom on still the same, tried another V4 loksound decoder worked again, What I found

there are no files for v5 loksound decoders on TP? will this make the differance?

Hi. You just beat me to it. Just looked in TP and there is no decoder definition for V5 decoders. 

But TC does control V5 Loksound decoder with four figure address ok using a schedule. Just tried one of my new Brits and it runs well. TC auto detected the loco in a block via Railcom. Imported the loco from the ECoS database and it set it up automatically. 

Loco though was programmed on the ESU Lokprogrammer and not via TP. I have a full licence for TP but never really use it as the Lokprogrammer works for me and have 99.9% ESU Loksound decoder fitted fleet. 

8F016F3A-5132-4AAD-A635-4281349CF181.jpeg

Hi,

umm not sure what to suggest now as two tone green has tested with an ECoS and TC and had no issues. The only other thing at the moment to try is taking the decoder to another similar system as you have, as by a process of elimination TC and ECoS talk together ok the only two variables left is your ECoS and the v5 decoder, ther could be an issue with either of them.

as you found the TP software is not very easy to use and like two tone green the Lok programer software is good for me aswell and for those non ESU decoders I have JMRI.

Hi Andy ( two tone green)  and all who help me with this problem, I have now found the answer with all your help             Many Thanks

the loco is now running with TC and TP programes. If you turn on Railcom the ECoS controller

auto detects the loco and loco runs  on ECoS controller only you can also turn railcom off and it still runs

on the controller only. On the ECoS controller there is anouther switch you must  turn on turn RAILCOM

on and RAILCOM PLUS on the ECoS controller, with these turned on TC works the loco ok, if you turn off RAilCOM

PLUS the loco stops working

Many Thanks to all

Bryan

Edited by gwrcollet
update

That’s a good one, Railcom usually is the problem and people turn it off. 

Railcom is usually on by default on the decoders.  

The layout and PC etc are all shut down but when I get chance next, could be as late as Jan 4th, I will have a look again turning Railcom on and off. 

Interesting. 

One question though. Did you have the loco in the ECoS database already when you first tried it with TC