Furthest away model shop visited

ianmacc

As someone suggested this in my nearest never visited thread I thought I’d start this one so it doesn’t dilute the original thread. 

Mine me is probably Poole in Dorset living in Leeds. Visited a good few on family holidays in Devon but don’t know if many are still trading. 

• RMweb Premium

Currently living south-west of London the most-distant model shop I have visited would be Brunel Hobbies, Cheltenham, Victoria, Australia.  Approximately 10520 miles depending upon which air miles calculator one uses.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Charles Ro in Malden, Massachusetts - on the outskirts of Boston.

It was an unexpected discovery when visiting the area on holiday and was a fair trek from Huddersfield, but Mrs 4630 was very supportive of my then US modelling habit !

• Like 2

• Administrators

I've visited model shops in Hong Kong, Australia and Canada - I'll always try to find one when I'm away.

Mind you, when I visited Rapido, I could hardly miss George's Trains next door to the office and Credit Valley Railway in the unpronounceable Mississauga. Handy hint, if you go there, there's a general model store 5 minutes walk away too.

Bergs Hobbies in Parramatta is worth a look and the 3rd best thing in Sydney is the model shop (Hobby Co.?) in the posh shopping centre. Orient Express Models in Adelade do excellent mail order if you can't make the trip.

• Like 1

Allied Model Trains in LA, California - this was when I lived in Derby, England.

I also walked down one street in Athens, Greece - where there are about three or four different and good quality model railway shops as well as numerous other hobby shops and made purchases in most of them!

Numerous model shops all over Germany, France, Belgium and Holland - it's hard to say whether there are more model shops per million population in Belgium or Holland! (It's certainly way more than in the UK!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me, the furthest would be the old Model Shop in Barcelona, just off the corner of Las Ramblas. I believe it's now moved elsewhere in Barcelona, but haven't been recently to find out where.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2019 at 14:07, Gwiwer said:

Currently living south-west of London the most-distant model shop I have visited would be Brunel Hobbies, Cheltenham, Victoria, Australia.  Approximately 10520 miles depending upon which air miles calculator one uses.

In fairness I should redress the balance.  While living in Australia the farthest I travelled and visited a model shop was to Camborne, Cornwall.  No prizes for guessing the name of that establishment and the distance was approximately 10800 miles.

• Like 1

Dollhouses, Trains and More.  300  Entrada Drive, Novato, California CA 94949 

A fabulous shop. The trains part had everything from LGB to Z gauge, via Lionel.  I was surprised how much 3 rail coarse scale is popular, with a lot of current equipment,  in the USA.

The shop is on 101, somewhat north of San Francisco.  You could go north over the Golden Gate bridge or take  580 as we did  (past San Quentin  prison, "I hear that train a comin' " as Johnny Cash sang).

Bought some x-acto tools and HO vehicles.  Had I known how the pound was going to drop against the dollar, I would have bought a cab-forward or two.  

They also had loads of Testors Dull Cote cans, really cheap, but I just couldn't take them back in my luggage.

Nice little restaurant next door and there was a 66 mustang parked outside when we left.

• RMweb Gold

New Port Richey nr Tampa, florida if I was visiting our American plant, I used to every so often clean them out of Xuron track cutters, snips and hard wire cutter for fellow club menbers as they were dollars for pounds with a good exchange rate. Also bought an RC helicopter in a model shop in Singapore which came home as hand luggage in the overhead lockers!

• RMweb Premium

Tam Tam Hobby Store in Akihabara, Tokyo.......used to go there to buy my Kato N gauge stuff, back when the Yen was low I could buy a suitcase full of Kato for just  over a grand, back here in the U.K. the cost would have been four times that, unfortunately the Yen exchange rate is no longer any where near as favourable, and 2mm modelling is now too small for me, so every cloud as they say :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1