Furthest away model shop visited

ianmacc

52 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Tam Tam Hobby Store in Akihabara, Tokyo.......used to go there to buy my Kato N gauge stuff, back when the Yen was low I could buy a suitcase full of Kato for just  over a grand, back here in the U.K. the cost would have been four times that, unfortunately the Yen exchange rate is no longer any where near as favourable, and 2mm modelling is now too small for me, so every cloud as they say :D

I'd assume I've been in there too, there are 3 or 4 right by Yodobashi Camera.  My fireless Lilliput came from there, even though the exchange rate was @#$@#$, I liked it and bought it.  Same trip my mate and I went to Aster in Yokohama, he came home with a C16 in a damaged box, I did the customs form for it (duty free, he had to pay taxes though...).  I brought home some Tamyia 10mm plastic meccano for building stuff on Long Marton with, a T gauge layout & the fireless...

It's not that far from here though..."only" 7500 km, rather than the 11800 km to Dubai :)

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, peach james said:

I'd assume I've been in there too, there are 3 or 4 right by Yodobashi Camera.  My fireless Lilliput came from there, even though the exchange rate was @#$@#$, I liked it and bought it.  Same trip my mate and I went to Aster in Yokohama, he came home with a C16 in a damaged box, I did the customs form for it (duty free, he had to pay taxes though...).  I brought home some Tamyia 10mm plastic meccano for building stuff on Long Marton with, a T gauge layout & the fireless...

It's not that far from here though..."only" 7500 km, rather than the 11800 km to Dubai :)

Yes, gone are the days of the “cheap Yen”.........I had four trips there, two on business and the other two just to buy Kato stuff, outward journey with three suitcases, the “stacking type” so two empty and the smallest inside with a clothes, journey back was three suitcases small one with clothes and two bigger stuffed with models.......customs are charming chaps and lovely they stick to the drug smugglers :D

For me  it would be a toss up as to which is furthest away between Da-Ta, Lodz (Poland) and Budapest (visited several in one afternoon).

My regular quite far away from here shops, are in Poznan, namely Dataland Hobby and Lokomotyw

Andy

• Like 1

These days I seldom visit model shops apart from our local to buy paint adhesives, brass and plasticard.

In recent years (2016) Caboose Hobbies, Denver from Hamilton New Zealand   11832 Km by air though Colorado was on the return leg of our journey having 1st flown to Minneapolis to visit family in the Mid-West.

Earlier 2002 Hobby City Quay St Auckland from Dublin Ireland 18181.81 Km by air. The Old Quay St shop was in an excellent location beside a Turkish Cafe where you could watch Tranz Rail General Electric U10B locomotives making up transfer container freights from the Auckland Port sidings to Westfield Marshalling Yard. 

Naturally I was hooked and migrated to New Zealand two years later, unfortunately Hobby City re-located to another site and its no longer possible to combine a visit to a model shop with the sight and sound of full size trains shunting.

Edited by John M
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On holiday in St. Ives from the Durham coast I came across a toy/model shop in Penzance.  
I actually bought some plastic strip too.
Is that a record within England? 

What about others wholly within the UK?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BoD said:

On holiday in St. Ives from the Durham coast I came across a toy/model shop in Penzance.  
I actually bought some plastic strip too.
Is that a record within England? 

What about others wholly within the UK?

The Cornish would argue that it was not "within England".  England starts and ends at the River Tamar.  There is no argument about Cornwall being a part of the UK for the most part however ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed that "google mapping" places that are on Railcams in the US, (Virtual Railfan , Railstream etc.) that many cameras are at "railparks" ,often situated at disused depots, where the locals go for some railfanning and many have a model shop nearby.

There certainly seems more train enthusiasts over there.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I've noticed that "google mapping" places that are on Railcams in the US, (Virtual Railfan , Railstream etc.) that many cameras are at "railparks" ,often situated at disused depots, where the locals go for some railfanning and many have a model shop nearby.

There certainly seems more train enthusiasts over there.

Ha!

That's because the real thing is still interesting!

Loco hauled passenger trains.

Multi loco lash-ups on freight.

Mixed freight of wildly differing types of wagon.

Highly impressive motive power.

Multiple operators and liveries.

I could go on!

• RMweb Premium

On holiday, I came across a model shop in Stolberg in the Harz, eastern Germany, around 2002 and bought a Roco DCC starter train set there!

Edited by Welly

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Ha!

That's because the real thing is still interesting!

Loco hauled passenger trains. Can see that every day in Birmingham

Multi loco lash-ups on freight.

Mixed freight of wildly differing types of wagon.

Highly impressive motive power.

Multiple operators and liveries. Likewise

I could go on!

If you want to see the multi loco lashups with bewidering livery variations see here:

• RMweb Gold

Just over 11 years ago I popped in to 'Frontline Hobbies', Newcastle NSW, the first item I spotted as I walked in the door was a Corgi 1/43 articulated lorry - 'Prestons of Potto'... they're about 20 miles from home as the crow flies...

Don't think I've ever been in a model shop in 'our' Newcastle.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2019 at 14:51, Worsdell forever said:

Don't think I've ever been in a model shop in 'our' Newcastle.

We used to have a brilliant 'traditional' model shop just off the Westgate road near the central station - 'The Model Shop' on Blenheim street. Sadly long gone (both the shop AND the street). I haven't been down to newcastle for many years so I've no idea whether or not there are any model shops in the town now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Caboose Hobbies when they were in Denver CO.

Central Hobbies Vancouver BC.

BC Shaver and Hobbies Victoria BC.......repatriated two old but new Dapol HST sets from here for under £75 each. Shop even said where did you find them! 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 18:30, TheQ said:

As I said in the other thread,  dhahran Saudi Arabia,  

Sadly there wasn't one in the Falklands.. 

That wouldn't be the 'Lego' shop in Al-Khobar by any chance? Plenty of Maerklin Z gauge building kits, but no rolling stock. Very good for Plastruct and hand tools in general.

I think I saw a 'Trains' shop in Dammam once, but never found it again.

There was also a Plastic Kit shop in one of the malls in Riyadh, which never seemed to be open.

I was modelling in 009 with Minitrains stuff in Singapore at the time, but in 1969 on my way back to the UK,  I visited a model shop in Sydney and saw the Eggarbahn stuff for the first time in the flesh

In 1991 I found two Model Railroad shops in Las Vegas with walking distance of our motel. One was not very big but well stocked, I left with an effective track cleaner wagon for N scale and a pair of Roundhouse Overton HO coach kits.

The second was full of lovely Brass locos, but I failed miserably to win the required price at the fruit machines, otherwise I would probably have dabbled in HOn3.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, dick rowland said:

That wouldn't be the 'Lego' shop in Al-Khobar by any chance? Plenty of Maerklin Z gauge building kits, but no rolling stock. Very good for Plastruct and hand tools in general.

I think I saw a 'Trains' shop in Dammam once, but never found it again.

There was also a Plastic Kit shop in one of the malls in Riyadh, which never seemed to be open.

The shop in question was in AL khobar,  it only had airfix type kits from lots of manufacturers and radio control cars of the pre-built toy type. Never saw any railway stuff in there. 

• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2019 at 15:18, CloggyDog said:

Red Caboose in New York City. 

It was an experience... ;)

I seem to recall reading some years ago that it was nicknamed ‘Rude Caboose’ due to the alleged attitude of some of their staff.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...