Furthest away model shop visited

ianmacc

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2019 at 14:51, Worsdell forever said:

Don't think I've ever been in a model shop in 'our' Newcastle.

Unfortunately, that would be rather difficult :(

On 30/12/2019 at 09:25, jacko said:

We used to have a brilliant 'traditional' model shop just off the Westgate road near the central station - 'The Model Shop' on Blenheim street. Sadly long gone (both the shop AND the street). I haven't been down to newcastle for many years so I've no idea whether or not there are any model shops in the town now. 

When Blenheim Street was demolished to make way for the St James' Boulevard dual carriageway, The Model Shop moved to the corner of Marlborough Crescent / Scotswood Road. Didn't last very long there though.

No, not been a proper model shop in town for many years now.

Seems insignificant to most visits mentioned on here, but in terms of a trip specifically to visit the shop, I did once visit Crownline Models in Maidenhead(?) from Newcastle (though a BR pass did help).

They were of course, the biggest supplier of detailing parts and conversion kits at the time and I was also a regular customer of Dave's at the shows.

Edited by Ken.W

• RMweb Premium

How about Hawaii? One of the islands in fact . I think its Kauai in fact . Wondering along road came to small shopping centre and there in among all the beach apparel is a small hobby shop.  Lots of American trains . You do wonder what the market is out there and how he made a living

Not exactly far away from point to point, but still a bit of a trek:

Located in Vienna near the Technisches Museum Wien and Schoenbrunn palace. Nice little shop, chap only knew a little english but helped a lot. Pickoed up a Piko Hobby Taurus for €64.99 http://www.modellbahntraum.com/

Wedel - Hamburg - There was a small model shop nearby, picked up an N gauge Flesichmann 0-6-0, couple of 6 wheel carriages and a luggage van

Nederland Spoorwegmuseum in Utrecht - picked up a Piko Hobby 0-4-0 tender loco, couple of 4 wheeler carriages and a baggage van

The Piko Hobby range, being an equivalent to Hornby's Railroad, is really good quality stuff.

On 10/03/2020 at 17:52, njee20 said:

Chan’s Trains in San Francisco for me I think. Curious little shop!

Is it still open.I went there in the summer of 2000 and what amused me was that it was open but the door was locked and he had to size me up before he let me in. Bought a San Francisco Cablecar. You're right though a curious little shop.

• RMweb Premium

A quick Google suggests it closed about 4 years ago. I went various times between about 1996 and 2008, and every time you had to be vetted at the door before being allowed in; bit weird!

On honeymoon in Vancouver I abandoned my bride in a downtown shopping mall for a couple of hours (she wasn't complaining!) whilst I took the metro out to Renfrew station to visit Central Hobbies

http://www.central-hobbies.com/

where I scooped an armful of Proto 2000 boxcars that although brand-new were in the secondhand section and marked down to only $9.99 each.  "These are cheap!" said the guy at the till, wincing, as he rang them up. Not to add insult to injury I thought it best to keep the "I KNOW!!!" yell and victory jig to myself until later... :^)

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a Brazilian, in a model shop in Curitiba, Parana back in 2007.

still runs nice now, funny thing I went to Johannesburg and picked up the same model, by the same Brazilian manufacturer, but SAR livery a  year later.

i used to frequent Lee kwon hobbies in Kowloon, Hong Kong quite often, was very good for Having stock of items often sold out elsewhere.  The night market close by used to produced introducing factory rejects too.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That got my attention! But I think you are talking about Frateschi.

Quite, for some reason in the Southern Hemisphere it seems in many countries there is only one manufacturer making just one loco class..

This is my 3rd Frateschi model, imported from Rotorua in 2008.

F2FD541C-188F-4564-AD2B-8295E4D9948E.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
On 12/12/2019 at 04:26, irishmail said:

I think mine must be George's Trains in Toronto. That was back in 1996!

I think I went there on my trip to Canada in 1985. So with your distance and mine, that makes a big triangle!

• RMweb Gold
On 15/03/2020 at 20:16, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just been looking at their website. Many more products than they used to have.

Only European distributor seems to be in Switzerland. But site not updated for a long time and the online shop not working at all.

Nothing changed in a decade there then.

Each one Ive “found” by accident.

I think they do contract production work for a US model company , maybe thats a bigger market ?

Edited by adb968008