Recomended decoder

Nutbrook

As its nearly that time of year again Ive treated meself to a new Bemo GE4/4II. This is a anilog version but I run digital using Bachmann ez. What recommended decoder would fit best (the instructions say it has a 6pin socket on the loco) Ive not had the lid off yet to see what room is available inside as the Mrs says I cant have it until the big day

Cheers Steve...……..

Hi,

Apologies if you already know but one of the big challenges I faced when new to Bemo was how to get the loco body off the chassis. I have actually removed the body from a Bemo Ge4/4II as I bought one that had been switched to live overhead pickup and I needed to switch it back. 

To remove the body turn it upside down on a padded surface so as not to damage the pantographs and electrical insulators etc on the roof! I used the loco box with some tissue inside. Gently pull out the couplings from each end.

The body is held in place by four lugs on the chassis that fit into slots on an extension of the 4 rectangular side window glazing pieces. Working on the upturned loco, carefully prize the glazing extension away from the chassis just enough to slide a piece of thin (10 thou) plasticard down between the lug on the chassis casting and the glazing. Repeat until done for all four lugs.

You may need to unclip the central grey underside unit too. (Make a note of which way round it fits before doing this).

The chassis should now lift out or slip out if the body is carefully turned right way up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info guys, I bought a Zimo MX617F Decoder from Peters Spares £20 + post. It has a 70mm cable on it and plugs direct into the loco when the small circuit board is removed. The cable is long enough for the decoder to sit behind the cab area and I used a bit of double sided tape to hold it in position. The decoder has an insolation sleeve on it to save any shorting out. The lights work on the loco in the forward direction but I don't have a rear on one, is this doable or do I have to rewire the loco to do this (which I wont probley do) or is it just a cv on the chip the change. Over to you guys...…….. 

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, Nutbrook said:

Over to you guys...…….. 

Couple of questions for clarity - were the lights working before you changed to DCC?

Generally the lights only work in the direction of travel - do you mean they are only working in one direction?

3 hours ago, JimFin said:

Couple of questions for clarity - were the lights working before you changed to DCC?

Generally the lights only work in the direction of travel - do you mean they are only working in one direction?

Yes they were working on anilog and they are working on digital in the forward direction (both ends) what I was getting at was getting one single rear light on the loco on the back of the loco as per RhB do

• RMweb Premium

Only possible with the latest type of loco where the lights are individual LED's rather than one light at each end, the light being distributed by clear plastic filaments.

If they are individual LED's than the Zimo swiss mapping is what you need, check page 27 S3.17 of the Zimo manual to set CV's  as appropriate. (good luck!)

Edited by JimFin

• 2 weeks later...