Stafford Railway Exhibition 1st & 2nd February 2020

ELTEL

Usually go on Sunday, but this year it had to be Saturday - noticeably busier, but went to Hall 3 and worked back. A great show - easy to get to, easy to park, easy to find your way around.

And well done to the staff involved with the Casualty and trying to keep part of the dining area clear at lunchtime - hope he was ok

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, andyram said:

See my previous comment. I am not suggesting they should have let the queue through five minutes early. I feel my comment has been misunderstood. 

Hi Andy

Apologies I miss understood your comments.

Terry 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Great show as always have been a visitor and past exhibitor at Stafford for a number of years now. Yes the queue yesterday morning was long almost to the end of the arena paddock but it kept moving. Got a nice bargain off the club sales stand and some bits I needed. The tables and chairs in hall 2 and 3 were nice to see to eat your own lunch at or just have a sit down for a bit.

One small observation - would it be acceptable to allow persons with a mobility or disability to be admitted at the door? Rather than make them push if with carer/helper or hand wheel their wheelchair, or walk on crutches all the way to the end of the queue? Have a steward outside the main door who can direct them to join the queue at their say so.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Great show as always have been a visitor and past exhibitor at Stafford for a number of years now. Yes the queue yesterday morning was long almost to the end of the arena paddock but it kept moving. Got a nice bargain off the club sales stand and some bits I needed. The tables and chairs in hall 2 and 3 were nice to see to eat your own lunch at or just have a sit down for a bit.

One small observation - would it be acceptable to allow persons with a mobility or disability to be admitted at the door? Rather than make them push if with carer/helper or hand wheel their wheelchair, or walk on crutches all the way to the end of the queue? Have a steward outside the main door who can direct them to join the queue at their say so.

Cheers Paul

Good point

The SRC team will look into this.

Terry 

• Like 3

Agreed another great show at Stafford - all put together with modellers in mind - and a great selection of traders with few box shifters.                                                               

Favourite layouts?  Canalside Ironworks / Hewisbridge / Heybridge Wharf.  Nice to see so many TT3 exhibits there as well.

Well done to the organisers! (AM)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, terry.ecmr said:

Thanks to Colin and all the team for making our weekend with Rossiter Rise so enjoyable. 

We certainly had a good response!

20200202_110453.jpg

is the upside down Fanta bottle an integral part of the layout?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 02/02/2020 at 12:37, TrentValleyRailway said:

Another excellent year for the show at Stafford, looking forward to next year. All the layouts are below if you didn’t get chance to get round them all,

All except the 3mm layouts it would appear?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Emmo 

The video taken by “Trent Valley Railway” is from a member of the public and not a anyone connected to Stafford Railway Circle.

Many thanks for taking the video and sharing on here.

So if some one has videoed the 3mm layouts at last weekends Staffords exhibitions perhaps they would be kind enough to post them here.

Terry 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Emmo said:

All except the 3mm layouts it would appear?

All the 3mm layouts on display at the show are within the set of videos as follows;

Part 1

Bilton Goods (3mm)
Daconby Town (3mm)
Lindhurst (3mm)

Part 2

Addison Park (3mm)
Bluish (3mm)

Part 3

Heybridge Wharf (3mm)

Part 4

Aldgate Hill and Norton Folgate (3mm)
Uppingham (3mm)

And apologies below is part 4;

• Thanks 2

Hi

Can I thank the organisers for another excellent show. Can I also thank the stewards at the entrance for the consideration shown to my friend Kelly  (D827 here) who was using her mobility scooter (or The Dreaded Contraption as I refer to it)? Firstly being able to park near the front despite not having a blue badge- not all with disabilities are able to get a blue badge- was also a tremendous help and again much appreciated.

I went ahead to join the queue and get the tickets and to see if Kelly could be let through the barrier at the end instead of having to zig zag round the barriers. The way Kelly drives the contraption it is likely that she would have demolished it all or ran everyone over! Permission was instantly given for which many thanks.

On buying the tickets I was deemed to be Kelly's carer (although it is debatable who of us is caring for who) and despite offering to pay was very kindly given free entry which was a wonderful gesture. This promptly went onto the Society's magazine stall donation plate and the rest to another worthy charity.

Lovely wide aisles really make a difference. Despite generally being a fine scale rivet counter (apparently this is considered by some to be a bad thing) there was lots to see.  I especially enjoyed the LU layouts and also the 3mm layouts- Addison Road being just one of those. I remain staggered that this size has never caught in commercially as my personal opinion is that N is just that bit too small- although gifted modellers like Jerry (Queensquare) and Grahame Hedges are truly gifted practioners and artists in this scale. There was really was a good spread of layouts of all eras and sizes and space to be able to see them too. Lots of people to talk with and all too soon the show was over. I had been that absorbed in things that I hadn't needed to take either my pain reducers or anxiety meds.

All in all a wonderful show and thanks to all who were involved in any way. We both appreciated it. Add the 'banter' from Charlie Petty which is always amusing and I certainly had a great time-helped by obtaining a number of publications.

As a last humorous aside on getting my hand stamped to go outside this is what I was presented with:

20200202_135231.jpg.51e31a435583ec129a37f7aad830a4db.jpg

The poor person on the other end of the stamp was mortified and really concerned that they had offended me and offered to do it again. I said no need and that it was really funny and hadn't realised that they knew me that well!  The other stewards of course had to have a look at what was amusing us and they also had a good laugh about it.

That shows to me what a tremendous hobby that we have in that we can all share some humour and have a nice laugh about it. That is what it is all about- friendship.

Once again thanks to all involved and I am already looking forward to next year. It has done me the world of good.

Edited by Natalie
Correcting dodgy tense use and can't stop tinkering with the text..
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for all your positive comments it. Is really appropriated.

As a club we do try very hard to go that extra mile to make a visit to the Stafford exhibition a pleasurable experience.

I will pass on your positive comments to all the members at our members post exhibition meeting.

Terry 

• Like 2

I'd like to add to Natalie's post, by giving my own thanks. Though I take exception to her exaggeration of the destructive power of my scooter! thankfully this year I didn't have a repeat of last years snapped key (forcing the need to abandon the scooter and walk around the show), this year the scooter behaved itself and the show was very enjoyable.

The 3mm layouts, especially the LU/LT layouts were very good and otherwise a good selection of layouts in the rest of the show.

We'll be back next year.

• RMweb Premium

Andy Banks and I enjoyed attending the show as demonstrators - showing how we use plasticard to make 7mm buildings (Hall 3 in prime position by the toilets!). 

IMG_20200201_093330_1.jpg.1ff562ca4e6b604906d48b7a794e2083.jpg

A definite divide on the workbench - Andy on the left making buildings for his Black Country tram layout out of brick and me working in stone finishes for my Cornish layout.

Definitely different techniques being used to suit the materials\finishes. We probably both did more active modelling over the 2 days than many months previous!

Was really good to chat to so many people and answer questions. More than happy to return next year if you'll have us.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Andy Banks and I enjoyed attending the show as demonstrators - showing how we use plasticard to make 7mm buildings (Hall 3 in prime position by the toilets!). 

IMG_20200201_093330_1.jpg.1ff562ca4e6b604906d48b7a794e2083.jpg

A definite divide on the workbench - Andy on the left making buildings for his Black Country tram layout out of brick and me working in stone finishes for my Cornish layout.

Definitely different techniques being used to suit the materials\finishes. We probably both did more active modelling over the 2 days than many months previous!

Was really good to chat to so many people and answer questions. More than happy to return next year if you'll have us.

Exhibitions always need toilet attendants, so I reckon an invite is definitely on the cards!

Mike.

• Funny 4

• 1 month later...

Bit of a late post on the thread but, whilst at the show on February, I really liked this N gauge railway. Now I’m thinking of doing something simulator (but on a 4x2) as a lockdown project. Does anyone know what the layout was called? Thanks in advance. 

B129A0F4-6DBA-4242-A5E9-46B65EDD9F9A.jpeg

4AF1B44E-F6D7-49F0-BA38-DD7184E791E5.jpeg

53D2978A-36E6-4B17-AE47-ACC015FF3BEA.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, MartynA said:

Bit of a late post on the thread but, whilst at the show on February, I really liked this N gauge railway. Now I’m thinking of doing something simulator (but on a 4x2) as a lockdown project. Does anyone know what the layout was called? Thanks in advance. 

I think it might be 'Farmers Drove,' link to thread here.

• Thanks 1

Wow! Thank you so much for the reply! I’ve looked at the link you provided and it is excellent! It’s going to be a bit of a challenge open code 55 on a 4x2 board but I reckon I can do it by a curved point on the right and losing the river on the left. Going to be 1947 GWR/BR period so I can use stock I already have. Once again, I cannot thank you enough for the help and link. 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, MartynA said:

Wow! Thank you so much for the reply! I’ve looked at the link you provided and it is excellent! It’s going to be a bit of a challenge open code 55 on a 4x2 board but I reckon I can do it by a curved point on the right and losing the river on the left. Going to be 1947 GWR/BR period so I can use stock I already have. Once again, I cannot thank you enough for the help and link. 

It's no problem, glad to have been of help.  Don't do much in N gauge myself nowadays, (more into narrow gauge in larger scales these days), but I would be interested to see how you fit it into 4x2. 

I think that even if a particular layout is not our region/era/time period, we can all take inspiration from what other modellers do, and adapt their ideas to what we want to achieve.  Good luck with your project, and don't forget to start a thread on it on RMWeb.

Cheers

Moxy

• Like 1