Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Do you like trains? Do you like classical music?

ovbulleid

About 15 years ago I purchased a dvd "Maine Central, Mountain Division". The backing music was clearly classical but there were no credits, a couple weeks ago Classic FM played the piece whilst I was doing my hours in my local Oxfam. Thanks to their playlist for that day I was able finally discover what the tune was, Schubert suite no1 Rosamunde. It's now on my Youtube playlist along with pieces by Eric Satie and classical Spanish guitar composer, Francisco Tarrega(1859-1909). Never heard of him, well I bet you've heard part of his tune called Gran Vals otherwise known as the Nokia ring tone! 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2019 at 21:09, BoD said:

I like trains.

I like classical music.

But that’s awful.

Sorry.

I note that it was posted by ovbulleid 

I’d like to think that the original Oliver Bulleid would have found it a huge joke.

After all he did do that horrendous (half coach length) half-timbered bogus Elizabeathan Tudor tavern car as a lightener to that dour sequence of 1940s post-war years. 

dh

Ow.  Clever, but I gave up after a minute.  Poor Pachelbel must spin in his grave every time that one is played...

Its amazing what you can do with computers, I recall that in one old-style Top Gear episode, James May did something similar with car engine sounds and the Top Gear theme music.

On 13/12/2019 at 04:42, w124bob said:

classical Spanish guitar composer, Francisco Tarrega(1859-1909). Never heard of him,

I have and play his music from time to time. My favourite piece is Caprico Arabe. Classical music is about beauty of sound  (particularly classical guitar), so the whistle version of Mr P's Canon fails miserably.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 05:46, nerron said:

I have and play his music from time to time. My favourite piece is Caprico Arabe. Classical music is about beauty of sound  (particularly classical guitar), so the whistle version of Mr P's Canon fails miserably.

Nice! Hadn't heard that before but I am familiar with his 'Recuerdos de Alhambra', which is another of those tunes that everybody's heard...

Edited by Nickey Line
oops...
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2019 at 13:55, tomparryharry said:

Just listened to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Enough said.

Lots of trains there. That opening clarinet solo evokes instant images of NYC's rooftops with their fire-fighting water tanks and plumes of steam coming from heating systems seen during an early morning... and of El trains slowly rumbling over a nearby avenue,  their passage casting shadows along side streets... And it's not unduly difficult to attach images from the Pennsy and Long Island Railroad to other parts of the score... GG1s scurrying in and out of Sunnyside Yard while LIRR "Ping-Pong" MU sets bowl past to and from Penn Station... A PRR L1 2-8-2 struggling to get a freight underway somewhere on the Bay Ridge Branch... sitting aboard a commuter train somewhere on the Montauk Branch, watching Kings County fly by through the window while a K4 or G5 on the point gobbles the miles away... it's all there...

Cheers NB

• Like 2

On 08/03/2020 at 01:21, Darren Hedges said:

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you mean, but I listen to Classic FM whilst sat at the modeling bench. 

Interestingly, during my usual Sunday afternoon session at the workbench, presenter David Mellor declared an interest in railways, and played a number of railway inspired/themed classical pieces. 

• RMweb Gold
On 12/12/2019 at 17:42, w124bob said:

About 15 years ago I purchased a dvd "Maine Central, Mountain Division". The backing music was clearly classical but there were no credits, a couple weeks ago Classic FM played the piece whilst I was doing my hours in my local Oxfam. Thanks to their playlist for that day I was able finally discover what the tune was, Schubert suite no1 Rosamunde. It's now on my Youtube playlist along with pieces by Eric Satie and classical Spanish guitar composer, Francisco Tarrega(1859-1909). Never heard of him, well I bet you've heard part of his tune called Gran Vals otherwise known as the Nokia ring tone! 

If I remember rightly, having tried learning Tarrega's Gran Vals, the "Nokia bit" is note for note except that there's an extra note on the end of the ringtone, presumably because it would sound unresolved without it.

• Like 1