"Trojan" - Avonside SS - kit problems

Some fifteen years ago I bought the Angenoria Models kit AM2/4 of this loco but I have only recently started work on it. I believe the kit (upgraded?) is available from CSP Models.

Apart from the obvious difficulties arising from working in P4 and building a kit designed for OO, I've hit some problems that are not helped by the instructions not being complete - it appears they should have been printed 2 sided but all the second sides are blank. As I have a decent amount of published information on the prototype I thought I would be OK, but the kit seems not to match the prototype in significant ways: does the kit have errors or is my information not appropriate? I wonder if any of the members of RMweb have built one of these kits and could help me out.

1. the footplate arrangement around the smokebox in the kit appears incorrect (but I think I'll have to live with that)
2. the boiler underside in the kit is too short (28mm, the prototype was 8'3")
3. the kit firebox is much too tall and would have a right angle between the back and wrapper

4. a motor will not fit in the firebox vertically in the way described in the kit
5. I can't identify some etched parts because of the bits missing from the instructions

firebox.jpg

unidentified parts.jpg

5 hours ago, andrewnummelin said:

Some fifteen years ago I bought the Angenoria Models kit AM2/4 of this loco but I have only recently started work on it. I believe the kit (upgraded?) is available from CSP Models.

Apart from the obvious difficulties arising from working in P4 and building a kit designed for OO, I've hit some problems that are not helped by the instructions not being complete - it appears they should have been printed 2 sided but all the second sides are blank. As I have a decent amount of published information on the prototype I thought I would be OK, but the kit seems not to match the prototype in significant ways: does the kit have errors or is my information not appropriate? I wonder if any of the members of RMweb have built one of these kits and could help me out.

1. the footplate arrangement around the smokebox in the kit appears incorrect (but I think I'll have to live with that)
2. the boiler underside in the kit is too short (28mm, the prototype was 8'3")
3. the kit firebox is much too tall and would have a right angle between the back and wrapper

4. a motor will not fit in the firebox vertically in the way described in the kit
5. I can't identify some etched parts because of the bits missing from the instructions

firebox.jpg

unidentified parts.jpg

Is the firebox intended to protrude, through and below the footplate, to represent the ashpan; (as per prototype)?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

On 12/12/2019 at 16:33, cctransuk said:

Is the firebox intended to protrude, through and below the footplate, to represent the ashpan; (as per prototype)?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

No. The high firebox etch corresponds to the cut-out in the cab front plate when placed on top of the footplate. If lowered to the correct level as you suggest, the firehole door would be below the footplate.

On 12/12/2019 at 18:19, RexAshton said:

Hi Gordon.

I've a set of instructions for the 0 gauge one if they're any help.

I'd be most grateful for scans of the parts of the instructions showing the bits I can't identify. The 4 sides of A4 instructions I have include:

Stage 1 Tank - steps 1 to 5 showing smokebox, tank, boiler

Stage 2 Running Plate - steps 1 to 12 showing running plate, buffer beams, cab, but not the firebox

Stage 3 Chassis - steps 1 to 8 showing the basic chassis but not the gearbox

unlabelled - rods, finishing off - injectors, slide bar assembly

Anything else would be much appreciated.

You may email to rmweb@nummelin.name

Hi Andrew - if the motor is intended to fit vertically in the firebox, as with an Agenoria Avonside 0-6-0ST I once built, then perhaps that's why the firebox is taller than it should be? Which motor are you using? With these arrangements kits often specified a double ended motor but you had to cut the back shaft off to make it fit. Older kits of this type can be improved by re-jigging the power train to a more modern arrangement, for instance you could attach the boiler bottom to the chassis then a nice big motor will sit in it, with room for a High Level gearbox in the firebox (even a small one). Or, as I did with my Agenoria kit, make the whole boiler/tank/smokebox as a detachable unit that threads over a conventional fore and aft motor arrangement, with a spigot in the cab front to locate it and a nut/bolt under the smokebox.

If you have some photo's and know your prototype I'd be inclined to trust my instincts and modify the kit as necessary. This kind of thing is surprisingly common.. 

On 16/12/2019 at 08:10, Barclay said:

Hi Andrew - if the motor is intended to fit vertically in the firebox, as with an Agenoria Avonside 0-6-0ST I once built, then perhaps that's why the firebox is taller than it should be? Which motor are you using? With these arrangements kits often specified a double ended motor but you had to cut the back shaft off to make it fit. Older kits of this type can be improved by re-jigging the power train to a more modern arrangement, for instance you could attach the boiler bottom to the chassis then a nice big motor will sit in it, with room for a High Level gearbox in the firebox (even a small one). Or, as I did with my Agenoria kit, make the whole boiler/tank/smokebox as a detachable unit that threads over a conventional fore and aft motor arrangement, with a spigot in the cab front to locate it and a nut/bolt under the smokebox.

If you have some photo's and know your prototype I'd be inclined to trust my instincts and modify the kit as necessary. This kind of thing is surprisingly common.. 

I'm sure you are right in suggesting that the kit has been deliberately designed with errors. (The firebox is the worst, but there are others.)

Following High Level's advice I'm using a LoLoader gearbox and 1220 motor - these just fit. From them and others came the suggestion of fixing the boiler bottom to the chassis: shame that the one in the kit is too short.

I like the concept of having the boiler/tank/smokebox as a detachable unit (helps painting too), but I don't think it would work with Trojan.

As the loco is going to be a bit of an experiment (my first attempt at a split frame chassis, stay alive capacitor and DCC) I think I will just accept compromises with the body and possibly think about building a good model (probably from scratch) some time in the future.

• Like 1