The Festival of British Railway Modelling - 8-9 February 2020

BRMExhibitions

• Moderators

Hope everyone has quiet and safe journeys on the routes to Doncaster today. See you all later - there's some excellent content this year!

Looking at the weather forecasts for the weekend it looks a bit wet and windy for Sunday but no sign for that area of these cataclysmic blizzards that the Daily Express keeps spamming social media with.

Phil and I will be around most of the weekend so it'll be nice to see folks.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kipford said:

Just about to load the car with Brighton East, Hope the M1 plays ball!

Feature_9.jpg.61d6368526f660e15f3a052efb8e1ef9.jpg

You've got the M25 to do first.

If you can get away early enough, you should be OK but anytime after 15.00 all routes to the North are a nightmare. You might be better on the A1/A1M than the M1.

• RMweb Gold

In the light of this evening's announced rail transport pre-emptive cancellation decisions for Sunday (as a consequence of the expected storm conditions) is there any change regarding Sunday opening at the show? Sunday is the only day I can get there, assuming it is safe to drive down from where I am staying.

Links = Local Paper - LNER website

Edited by john new
Added links

8 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

You've got the M25 to do first.

If you can get away early enough, you should be OK but anytime after 15.00 all routes to the North are a nightmare. You might be better on the A1/A1M than the M1.

From Petersfield, A272, A34, M40, A43, M1 usually worked for me! (Unless there was something at Silverstone!)

All depends on the timing.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, john new said:

In the light of this evening's announced rail transport pre-emptive cancellation decisions for Sunday (as a consequence of the expected storm conditions) is there any change regarding Sunday opening at the show? Sunday is the only day I can get there, assuming it is safe to drive down from where I am staying.

No changes from advertised plans as yet. The east seems to have a better forecast than the west. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Lovely day, better than I expected.

I've seen most of what was in the exhibits list before but I was pleasantly surprised by the new ones and the old ones delighted too.

Plenty of good N Gauge too.

The chap who owns Amalgamated Wagon Works did his usual selling of O Gauge in a tiny space and for a couple of minutes he had me thinking O Gauge round my office at home until common sense prevailed.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The chap who owns Amalgamated Wagon Works did his usual selling of O Gauge in a tiny space and for a couple of minutes he had me thinking O Gauge round my office at home until common sense prevailed.

You know you want to :) hehe ... I must admit I did nearly succumb to a Dapol 7mm Terrier  ..... but managed to keep my wallet in the pocket.  A couple of 7mm wagons for a future project were acquired however!

Also if anyone is thinking of a Heljan Mogul - Rails have then for £495 at the show only - £130 off.  If I'd had the cash, that would have tempted me!

Rich

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

You know you want to :) hehe ... I must admit I did nearly succumb to a Dapol 7mm Terrier  ..... but managed to keep my wallet in the pocket.  A couple of 7mm wagons for a future project were acquired however!

Also if anyone is thinking of a Heljan Mogul - Rails have then for £495 at the show only - £130 off.  If I'd had the cash, that would have tempted me!

Rich

At over three foot for a loco and a couple of coaches, nope.

Next layout will be N with 6 coach trains not O with a shunter and a couple of wagons

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cracking afternoon at show ... some excellent layouts and traders, a good woffle with Mr Swawplan . 

Wales lost , England won, supper at Frankie and bennys washed down with a nice bottle. What could be better? Back for second installment in the morning...

09E7B197-F780-4C6C-99AA-CEE536B8AC1C.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Had a good day today, didn't spend too much but got a few essentials. 

Looking back the bar has certainly been raised in layout quality in the time since I restarted. 

With the comments on here it looks as if we are going to have to start an RMweb Tie Club and meet up for lunch.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A really good show, my first time visiting. It was nice to meet @Phil Parker who was kind enough to indulge me for five minutes. 

Shwt was probably my favourite layout. It and a few others would have been worth the entrance fee alone (such as Bournemouth West, Brighton East, Wantage Tramway...)

Trade support was good, feeding arrangements were surprisingly well organised although getting a seat upstairs to eat at was a challenge. 

with my trains to Aberdeenshire cancelled today, it looks like I am stranded in Doncaster for another day with no idea what I’m going to do, so I might go back for another look at the show.

i could stand and watch Bournemouth West and Shwt for hours if I’m honest...

best

Scott.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2020 at 18:49, john new said:

Sunday: sadly with parts of the road outside my mother's house flooded right across with massive puddles at 8am, rain still pouring down, and the gutter running as a half road-width side stream, the idea of driving the 100 mile round trip to Doncaster today seemed stupid. Hope everyone that does get there today enjoys the show and everyone gets home Ok tonight. Bournemouth West, the layout I most wanted to see, therefore remains unseen in the flesh.

Edited by john new
  • Friendly/supportive 9

12 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And this is the culprit, Mr Lord, one of the Rochdale reprobates. He's a lot to answer for lol.

Am_Wag_donny.jpg.69b6faaae92197cf2ee87c6ed3e9d087.jpg

I went across yesterday (and looking out of the window today glad I did) to do a bit but the main objective was to rifle through Model Signal Engineering stock before he disappears off the exhibition circuit and you have to use that user unfriendly website! I also had to see the nice man at Megapoints for one of his excellent servo control boards. Now the track laying and point building on Greenbooth is in sight its time to turn my head to signalling.

As for the show, Ive never seen Shwt in the flesh before and was really impressed. On the surface it looks almost minimalist but there's a lot of detail and its very well modelled. The other star of the show was Bournemouth West, again a new layout to me and well worth the entry fee alone. Extremely good modelling, well observed stock formations, and those signals, wow. Brilliant.

277959282_BWest1.jpg.58291af8e135234ebfc816d31ead18c9.jpg

B_West_2.jpg.8e1afb8a7e189e874b641a5c7ab71f32.jpg

Boston Frodsham also caught my attention and I watched it for quite a while.

Mentions in dispatches too for Farringdon, Kepier Colliery and Brighton East, all seen before but always worth watching again.

Meanwhile good luck today all.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Persephone said:

And this is the culprit, Mr Lord, one of the Rochdale reprobates. He's a lot to answer for lol.

That's him, deliberately washed his kids white school t-shirts with his wife's red dress so he could use them as weathering rags on his stock.

I also think he adjusted the location of his layout to hide his Lancashire roots in Yorkshire, I am sure in the past this was a 'north west' location not somewhere near Pontefract.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1