Jump to content

BRMExhibitions

The Festival of British Railway Modelling - 8-9 February 2020

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

That's him, deliberately washed his kids white school t-shirts with his wife's red dress so he could use them as weathering rags on his stock.

 

I also think he adjusted the location of his layout to hide his Lancashire roots in Yorkshire, I am sure in the past this was a 'north west' location not somewhere near Pontefract.

 

 

 

The layout never really had a fixed location until Ben took it on - I was one of the builders of it - although the buildings apart from the low relief building  at the back all are based on Yorkshire prototypes. The low relief one (my build) is based on that at Great Rocks jct in Derbyshire. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went today. I enjoyed it, hardly anything modern, which is my main interest, but to be honest as silly as sounds I don't go to them to look at trains, more the layouts themselves to get inspiration from the trackwork (I aren't at the point I want to do scenery so I'll be interested in that in due course). Traders were good too, bought a few items I was on the lookout for at less than I could have online. Will probably go next year!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job I went yesterday, my route across the hills was closed this morning. 

Went to daughter's to pick up some stuff from their Allotment Association sale and got stuck because of floods on way back. Got through five but the next one was too bad to risk, there was already a car stopped in there after drinking too much water. On the way back to safety the five floods had become six as another previously undiscovered river had appeared.

@AY Mod Had to do the 'Via Hyde' detour. 16 mile round trip became 26 miles.

  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

That's him, deliberately washed his kids white school t-shirts with his wife's red dress so he could use them as weathering rags on his stock.

 

I also think he adjusted the location of his layout to hide his Lancashire roots in Yorkshire, I am sure in the past this was a 'north west' location not somewhere near Pontefract.

 

 

 

Since when was Pontefract in Lancashire, It,s in God's wonderful County of Yorkshire.   Eh by Gum Lad.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

 

Since when was Pontefract in Lancashire, It,s in God's wonderful County of Yorkshire.   Eh by Gum Lad.

 

Ponte Carlo! I think they are saying North west not near Pontefract, i.e. in Lancashire

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

That's him, deliberately washed his kids white school t-shirts with his wife's red dress so he could use them as weathering rags on his stock.

 

I also think he adjusted the location of his layout to hide his Lancashire roots in Yorkshire, I am sure in the past this was a 'north west' location not somewhere near Pontefract.

 

 

As his operating sidekick on Amwag, I can let you know that Ben’s knowledge of British geography is pathetic. Each show I go to the location differs: Goole, Barnsley, Wakefield, Pontefract. My theory is that the layout is based on the colliery location of his last wagon bought, but he can hardly ever show you where it is on a map. Hey ho, it is great fun to operate and does show what O gauge can achieve in 8’. 
What I like about the show is that north meets south here. Layouts rarely seen in the north make an appearance, my favourite being Bournemouth West. 
 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a great day. By far the best was the live stream layout upstairs. Very approachable people and the smell of steam was in the air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I ventured out this afternoon, despite the weather.  I had a thoroughly good time at the show: personal favourites were Brighton East, Boston Frodsham and of course, Bournemouth West.  Normally I am not a fan of smoke generators in model locos, but whatever the team are using on BW, I thought it really added something on this occasion.  Well done all and thank you.  Hope everybody got home safely.

 

Best wishes, 

 

Paul  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we’ve had a fantastic weekend.

 

Thank you to everyone who stopped by to have a look at the layout and a massive thank you for all the nice comments people have said to us over the weekend.

 

As much as we build layouts for our own enjoyment, it’s also nice to see other people enjoying watching the layout, so you really have made all the hard work (and the drive up here) worth while! 
 

CD4406F4-72A0-4A91-99BB-A4A254EB7314.jpeg.df30b45ddf6556285350db5497d7344f.jpeg

 

CE5A3ED0-E5EE-4729-A3CD-55E17444CEAB.jpeg.8f20981b143fe7294030bf679fcd726d.jpeg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I went today. I enjoyed it, hardly anything modern, which is my main interest, but to be honest as silly as sounds I don't go to them to look at trains, more the layouts themselves to get inspiration from the trackwork (I aren't at the point I want to do scenery so I'll be interested in that in due course). Traders were good too, bought a few items I was on the lookout for at less than I could have online. Will probably go next year!

 

From memory there were five that could be classed as including modern image (ie 1960s onwards) but probably only one that was specifically. I'd agree that it would be nice next year if there wasn't a bias (that's the wrong word to use really) and perhaps a bit more of a mix?  Having said that as Tom said, we go for the layouts, the enjoyment and inspiration, and everything the was on show was of high quality and deserved be there.  I suppose it also depends on what modern image layouts are invited, are available and where the owners can get operators?

 

Would encourage anyone who didn't get this year to have a look next however, well worth it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah sorry I didn't mean modern as in modern image, I meant modern as in present day or thereabouts (lets say post privatisation). I should have been more specific as I was witness to the discussion about the definition of modern image on another thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

 

Since when was Pontefract in Lancashire, It,s in God's wonderful County of Yorkshire.   Eh by Gum Lad.

And I thought Pontefract was a cake! We Southerners have so much to learn!

  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the positive comments about Bournemouth West, it makes it all worthwhile (despite an horrendous journey back down to Bournemouth in a high sided van, road closures etc and arrival home at 1 am) . Some nice layouts, particularly liked Farringdon and Brighton East.

Note to the organisers though for next year - please get the heating sorted. We had to endure 80 degree plus temperatures and debilitating humidity on Saturday which buckled the track in our fiddle yard and did nothing to aid good running. Others, in different parts of the building were apparently freezing.

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having spent the weekend in the upstairs room on the EMGS stand, I had a very nice weekend. The show was much quieter on the Sunday, no doubt weather related.

 

The temperature was a bit "all or nothing". Sweltering one minute, icy blasts the next, presumably as somebody managed to get a door open. No worse than many shows though.

 

I thought that the quality of the layouts was very good this year, with more higher quality and finescale ones than previously, especially on the EM and P4 front.

 

I managed to get pretty much everything on my shopping list apart from some code 75 rail. All those traders at a RAILway show and not one selling rail!

 

Sadly, my other purchases were from Hobby Holidays and Wizard and both those are going internet/mail order in the near future. No doubt their places will be taken by more RTR or secondhand stalls.

 

Many thanks to all those who came and showed a bit of interest in what we were showing. It was nice chatting with you all and it was good to be introduced to a couple more RMWebbers, so thanks Clive. 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I thought that the quality of the layouts was very good this year, with more higher quality and finescale ones than previously, especially on the EM and P4 front.

 

Thanks for that; Sam and I did try to get as much quality in as we could and I can see where we can strive a bit more.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Thanks for all the positive comments about Bournemouth West, it makes it all worthwhile (despite an horrendous journey back down to Bournemouth in a high sided van, road closures etc and arrival home at 1 am) . Some nice layouts, particularly liked Farringdon and Brighton East.

Note to the organisers though for next year - please get the heating sorted. We had to endure 80 degree plus temperatures and debilitating humidity on Saturday which buckled the track in our fiddle yard and did nothing to aid good running. Others, in different parts of the building were apparently freezing.

 

I spent quite a while watching comings & goings on Bournemouth West. An excellent layout and with some of the best smoke in OO Gauge I've seen, and I say that as someone who is not usually a fan of small scale smoke! 

 

All round I thought it was the best show in terms of layouts for the past few years, although I have to agree on the temperature. I've always found Doncaster has quite wild variations depending on where you are in the venue! Acknowledging that temperature is subjective, the sweet spot did seem to be around the BRM stand however...….:wink_mini:

 

Tom. 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TomE said:

the sweet spot did seem to be around the BRM stand however

 

If you had a coat on during Saturday morning! Not sure about 'sweet' though. The middle of the main hall has got oppressively warm on Saturday mornings last year and this, it's modellers' hot air body warmth and it drops again by mid-afternoon. It wasn't as cold as usual during set-up on Friday afternoon as we didn't have an icy easterly this year. In hindsight the answer would have been to keep your coat on, look at Shwt, drop the coat off at the cloakroom and then go tropical in the main hall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was my fifth Doncaster and as usual a great show (except never enough tea vouchers). A great selection of layouts. With my favourite our neighbours Bournemouth West, we seemed to get a lot of their 3 to 4 deep overspill :D. Sunday was a lot quieter, but it allowed us to give children driving lessons on Brighton. The joy on there faces and those of the accompanying adults when successfully shunting a train is a joy to behold. I work on the basis the worst that can happens is a train hits the buffers, but in practise it never happens as they listen and operate as you tell them. EM is for all ages!!!

  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2020 at 11:17, Phil Parker said:

Loco ladies.jpg

 

 

I swear I haven't touched a drop all morning, honest.  Look, rock steady......

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 88D said:

As his operating sidekick on Amwag, I can let you know that Ben’s knowledge of British geography is pathetic. Each show I go to the location differs: Goole, Barnsley, Wakefield, Pontefract. My theory is that the layout is based on the colliery location of his last wagon bought, but he can hardly ever show you where it is on a map. Hey ho, it is great fun to operate and does show what O gauge can achieve in 8’. 
What I like about the show is that north meets south here. Layouts rarely seen in the north make an appearance, my favourite being Bournemouth West. 
 

Just like to clear things up, in the same way Rodney Trotter has a GCSE in art, I have one in geography, though I still get confused between what lies in east or West Yorkshire! Yep I did wash all my boys white school t shirts with my wife’s red dress creating a jaunty pink wardrobe for them. They do however make excellent track cleaning rags! Had an excellent weekend, really humbled by the public’s kind words. Thanks again to the organisers for the invitation!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Having spent the weekend in the upstairs room on the EMGS stand, I had a very nice weekend. The show was much quieter on the Sunday, no doubt weather related.

 

The temperature was a bit "all or nothing". Sweltering one minute, icy blasts the next, presumably as somebody managed to get a door open. No worse than many shows though.

 

I thought that the quality of the layouts was very good this year, with more higher quality and finescale ones than previously, especially on the EM and P4 front.

 

I managed to get pretty much everything on my shopping list apart from some code 75 rail. All those traders at a RAILway show and not one selling rail!

 

Sadly, my other purchases were from Hobby Holidays and Wizard and both those are going internet/mail order in the near future. No doubt their places will be taken by more RTR or secondhand stalls.

 

Many thanks to all those who came and showed a bit of interest in what we were showing. It was nice chatting with you all and it was good to be introduced to a couple more RMWebbers, so thanks Clive. 

Good to catch up and that Doncaster project looks absolutely mind blowing, 

Phil & Clive

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I missed the pics but I couldn't see any of Ripley.  I thought that was a lovely, smaller layout that appeals to my era tastes. Beautifully modelled and quite an unusual build as it sits in a cutting. Bournemouth West....loved the weathering, especially the Station area. Brighton East.....small and beautiful; in half a cutting!

The huge N gauge layout James Street was just mind blowing and then the D Day details on Overlord was it? So much to discover and those boats & ships......could be tempted, but I know nothing about boats and ships! 

Have to agree with many that the layouts were very good this year. I am going to go a little later next year as the temperature in the core areas was really OK by 14.30 on Saturday, (but was stifling at 11.30) and by 15.00 it was far easier to see the layouts and spend some time admiring the very high standards of modelling.

I suspect that maybe next year our 'group' will take lunch in Whitby's and descend on the place about 13.00 and do the shopping. That should give us enough time to see the layouts and demos. I will try to be more organised and have a proper list of needs so that shopping is planned and not just random.

The Trader to be missed most must be Andy with MSE. How will I identify those signal parts I need without being able to touch and see them?

This year is the first time I have come away from Donny and thought that I really will go again next year; thank you Andy and Phil and team.

I am lucky that I can do Donny and York and they seem to balance out with York having the greater number of layouts. 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Good to catch up and that Doncaster project looks absolutely mind blowing, 

Phil & Clive

 

Well it makes my brain hurt and I am only a helper on it!

 

The biggest difficulty is for us to stay around, fit and well with some eyesight and modelling ability long enough to get somewhere with it.

  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We decided to brave the storms and made our annual visit on the Sunday. Definitely much quieter than usual, but did make for a more relaxed show, and it was easier to get round/get a good look at the layouts. Some utterly stunning layouts there, as usual. A selection of pics below.

 

IMG_20200209_125948-02.jpeg.ef57c89ef6b1a82e1b6d95a7083a2db9.jpegIMG_20200209_125948-01.jpeg.193d2d43c603c07390491faa7e0a8da4.jpegIMG_20200209_130139-01.jpeg.ce1eca5b70996f268aa72fe81666db04.jpegIMG_20200209_130230-01.jpeg.f4101a339e82f5b5b361d85c6425d132.jpegIMG_20200209_133252-01.jpeg.9d1f17e8456f1a4c585555718a3813f1.jpegIMG_20200209_133317-01.jpeg.b871bae70df40e27776a06ea2711bc98.jpegIMG_20200209_133337-01.jpeg.4c56985a0c1bff0f0632c79e867f38ff.jpegIMG_20200209_133509-01.jpeg.0fba9d7da379eddc7c0eff0b8d49a883.jpegIMG_20200209_133703-01.jpeg.784910978945870f98afa983d86a11a5.jpegIMG_20200209_133838-01.jpeg.6f8150fee180f724aacc94ed113772d2.jpegIMG_20200209_134150-01.jpeg.13bed790530f724d1a172ee7c7a82347.jpegIMG_20200209_134219-01.jpeg.e756bb97a0ae74806a7d871b8a6f1c67.jpegIMG_20200209_134450-01.jpeg.cae6d729b10e384f98f4ca56b2424764.jpegIMG_20200209_134458-01.jpeg.6a8802741042901573ed5f269bb6ae77.jpegIMG_20200209_140130-01.jpeg.c9ff2901393abcbb785b01413ea98157.jpegIMG_20200209_140149-01.jpeg.47ec25246abb8894b1c88ea7edbcbe65.jpegIMG_20200209_143254-01.jpeg.531aedabceee9f56e812781220fa8123.jpegIMG_20200209_143321-01.jpeg.bf96db66fb00bde1b974b6e821806254.jpegIMG_20200209_143733-01.jpeg.614f639ff79f374d2d30e9b4c95fa0df.jpegIMG_20200209_143753-01.jpeg.3cf27b96b9c0d2bad571fc2f67918ced.jpegIMG_20200209_143932-01.jpeg.b25b574194c0904057a5f04f8b61e802.jpegIMG_20200209_143942-01.jpeg.6a83862f747dd72b25787787ae2bc85c.jpeg

Edited by Locksley
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.