The London Festival of Railway Modelling- 21 & 22 March 2020

BRMExhibitions

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, AyJay said:

I have just been told, that it has been announced that the Government is banning all events where there would be more than 5,000 people.   Didn't hear it myself, so cannot comment on this.

Does the London festival fall within this ban and if so, will there be a refund on tickets sold?

Personally I would still attend, don't plan on kissing anyone or shaking hands :-)

However, the friend that I am coming with does have a serious condition, so he may choose not to attend.

Chinese (sorry!) whispers?

France has temporarily banned gatherings of more than 5000 in "confined spaces".

Source:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51684624

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

There seems no medical grounds for restricting gatherings but I doubt if Ally Pally would see more than 5000 indoors at any one time.  It is also quite a large airy space rather than a low-ceiling hall.  

I plan to be there for one day; which day may be a last-moment decision and influenced by what others are doing.  

• Administrators

The COBRA meeting to discuss the UK actions is on Monday. It's very unlikely we'll hear any decision until after that. In the meantime, can I ask people stop posting rumours, or if you really must, at least link to a source. No link and we'll moderate you. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

If and its a big if, there were a ban put in place by the Government that prevents this exhibition from taking place, I would assume that there would be no question of being able to claim a refund on your advanced exhibition tickets.

But the problem comes trying to get your money refunded on any pre-booked hotel and travel tickets, where the condition of purchase, due to the cheaper price being paid, is that there are no refunds or date alterations will be entertained. I just wonder how sympathetic these companies will be, given these exceptional circumstances to give refunds.

Hopefully the Government will put in place some legislation to put pressure on these Companies to force them to give full refunds.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Chinese (sorry!) whispers?

France has temporarily banned gatherings of more than 5000 in "confined spaces".

Source:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51684624

You can't be close to 5000 people at once. So surely 5000 people in a large building is not putting you at significantly more risk than 50 people in a confined space.

I think people should be allowed to make their own decision about potential risk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 29/02/2020 at 15:35, AyJay said:

However, the friend that I am coming with does have a serious condition, so he may choose not to attend.

If your friend has a serious condition, why is he coming at all? Out of courtesy, people who are not well should try not to infect others and going to a big event like that is bound to increase the chances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bart2day said:

If your friend has a serious condition, why is he coming at all? Out of courtesy, people who are not well should try not to infect others and going to a big event like that is bound to increase the chances.

Wo, wo, woah

I have had Leukaemia and have a suppressed immune system.  Are you suggesting that I am at risk of infecting others?  My concern is being infected myself by those who are displaying no symptoms.

We will have to wait to see how things pan out in the next few weeks and then decisions can be made.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, bart2day said:

Depends on the nature of the 'condition'.

• Administrators

I've had a quick chat with our exhibitions team today. At present, the assumption is that the show will be business as usual.

They are currently talking to Ally Pally who are making preparations, expect to see an awful lot of hand sanitisers around the place for a start as well as other precautions.

I understand that there will be a big meeting this week to take into account current government advice along with that of the venue. I've asked for an update for RMweb and this will be provided. Please don't bombard them, or me, with questions until then as I don't know any more.

Obviously this is an ongoing situation and things may yet change again, but that's where we are right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, sharris said:

Given their apparent black-market value, Ally Pally had better have them well chained down! 

Off-forum discussions point towards some sensible precautions that anyone and everyone can take at any exhibition. Don't just make it someone else's responsibility to provide or protect. There's no need for panic reactions yet but the below are just sensible and reduce risks for all.

• If you feel unwell or consider yourself at risk of catching an infection make a sensible decision about whether it's wise to go out.
  • Wash your hands before you leave.
  • Take your own antibacterial gel for use after travelling on public transport or handling anything anyone else may have handled (inc. cash).
  • Avoid shaking hands with people - you may have something / they may have something and a refusal to 'shake' from one side or the other may cause offence.
  • Think about the barriers, everyone rests on them (usually with their hands). Avoid doing so or consider wearing disposable gloves.
  • Use contactless payments where possible, reduce your usage of cash at least.
  • Wash your hands at any given opportunity, dry them well.
  • Wash you hands before eating/drinking or any other facial contact.
  • Don't cough or sneeze on someone! Use your elbow as recommended if you feel any need.
  • Consciously touch as few things as possible.
  • Sanitise your hands on leaving and before getting on public transport or your own vehicle.
  • Wash your hands as soon as you get home.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

Is it possible to find an alternative to the ‘hand stamp for reentry’ that has been used for many years at this show? I’ve always disliked it but in this climate I would suspect there will be many who won’t be too keen at having their hand stamped.

Other than that I am very much looking forward to the show and hope it goes ahead!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Is it possible to find an alternative to the ‘hand stamp for reentry’ that has been used for many years at this show? I’ve always disliked it but in this climate I would suspect there will be many who won’t be too keen at having their hand stamped.

Other than that I am very much looking forward to the show and hope it goes ahead!

Don't worry, as no-one will touch you then you can just barge back in - what they gonna do, politely from 2 metres away ask you to leave?  The most they can do that for is 15 minutes to avoid infection.:D

• Funny 3

7 hours ago, sharris said:

Will they be giving the excellent Beijiao an extra squirt? 

Whilst I totally understand the concerns about coronavirus and don't wish to belittle those concerns I cannot allow such praise of my layout ( the use of the word 'excellent' ) to pass without comment.

Thank you for your comment - have you seen Beijiao in the flesh or just on Rmweb?

My layout has been to 4 shows now including Warley and has never lived up to my hopes and dreams and that is partly because the layout can only be operated at shows because of its size and so testing and de-bugging is VERY difficult, but having worked on it virtually every day since Warley I hope all the faults have finally been eliminated and so I hope it will live up to your expectations - please come and say 'hello' if you make it to AP.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

My layout has been to 4 shows now including Warley and has never lived up to my hopes and dreams

I've seen it running and never realised it had 'faults'  I thought it a good piece of modelling with stock that we are just not used to seeing.

I'll certainly make a point of seeing it again at AP

6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I've seen it running and never realised it had 'faults'  

That's kind of you to say that, but if that is the case it's only because my team of operators have been giving 150% and compensating for the layouts faults - mainly (but not exclusively DCC related). 

Yes, I can understand how the layout (mostly) appeared to work OK but this was only because behind the scenes the operators were being run ragged trying to fight the layout's shortcomings. In fact in the evening of the Saturday of Warley ( our worst ever performance ) I was seriously considering permanently removing the layout from the exhibition circuit on the basis that I could not put my friends through the stress of operating the layout any more - and considering that it's 8 years work and cannot be run at home due to its size (26ft x 10ft)  that was going to be some decision.

However, on Sunday morning before the show opened I was able to get help from someone who actually knows about DCC - Ted Smale from SCC ltd - and within 30 seconds (literally!!!) he pointed out what we were doing wrong and so the Sunday at Warley was our best ever day; and so we decided to persevere with the layout and consequently, 3 months later, we approach Aly Paly in the hope and expectation that finally we can put on a good show for the paying public.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

hi can anyone tell me who I need to contact to film for my youtube channel at this show I have filmed for the past few years but can't remember who I emailed about it.

Thank you

Richard 

trains in the attic

www.youtube.com/c/trainsintheattic

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, richard brown said:

hi can anyone tell me who I need to contact to film for my youtube channel at this show I have filmed for the past few years but can't remember who I emailed about it.

Thanks for asking Richard; I'd recommend contacting Kathy at KathyMcKenna@warnersgroup.co.uk 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1