The London Festival of Railway Modelling- 21 & 22 March 2020

BRMExhibitions

5 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Note that in Italy, nearly 25% of those infected (tested positive)  are between 19 and 59 years old.

Without knowing the constraints the Italian health service is working under, that might not mean that  75% of those infected are under 19 or over 59. It could mean, for example, that where cases are suspected, tests have been prioritised for those most at risk (e.g. over 60s). 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Ian,

The 111 website seems quite a good start in analysing what symptoms may mean, worth a go if one feels there is enough time to do that.  Their questions on covid-19 look helpful.

However, in terms of your experiences:

My story at 4am one morning after ringing 111, with some odd symptoms that I didn't recognise.    

After initial phone conversation:

111guy: from what you've told me I recommend you wait 3 days and see your GP.

Me: I think whatever's happening to me needs checking now.

111guy: Are you in pain?

Me well I'd say it's a lot of discomfort but not actually pain.

111guy:  no, are you in pain?

At which point I caught on and said yes, I'm in pain.

111guy: (sounded relieved)  in that case I can escalate your case and put you through to the duty paramedic.

Next voice on phone "Hi I'm Barry the duty paramedic, what's the problem?"

And I was home and dry.  The 111 people work from a script, they are there as an initial triage.   Barry the para was  there with open ended questions to  establish signs and symptoms.  Everything then went very efficiently, got a very quick appointment with the out of hours doctor who established the problem. Sorted.

So the moral of this 111 story is,  if you need to get beyond 111 to an emergency healthcare professional then PAIN is the keyword that opens the door.

(If things had got much worse then a 999 call would have been in order,  but sometimes you just need advice to know what to do next.  I didn't know then that what was happening to me could have been lethal).

Bill

My experience of 111 was not good. I had a back pain which made it difficult to get out of bed one morning as it was also affecting the top of my left leg. 

I called 111 for advice and after a short Q&A session the operator didn't think it was life threatening. 

She then said "If you start to lose the use of you limbs call 999". I couldn't resist replying "If I lose the use of my limbs how do I use the phone"

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

My experience of 111 was not good. I had a back pain which made it difficult to get out of bed one morning as it was also affecting the top of my left leg. 

I called 111 for advice and after a short Q&A session the operator didn't think it was life threatening. 

She then said "If you start to lose the use of you limbs call 999". I couldn't resist replying "If I lose the use of my limbs how do I use the phone"

I believe the nose can  be quite effective under such circumstances...

• Funny 1

Although events surrounding the current medical situation have a direct connection with the staging of large public events, like the Ally Pally show, I think comments around general health issues and the 111 service might be better placed elsewhere on the forum.

As for the show itself, I can fully understand the difficult position the organisers are in.

It’s a sad situation and I feel sorry for all those who have put what is undoubtedly a huge amount of effort in.

Whatever transpires, I wish them all well.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The problem is you cannot physically stop anyone from travelling and or visiting anywhere, similarly you cannot enforce anyone to stay at home.

If this bug is to be allowed to run its course I would rather they just got on with and get it over with than delay. 

Good point well made!

11 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Good sound advice but the one flaw in it is “simply call your GP”. Er,not so simple.Getting a line takes forever and the most you will get from my practice is a request for a ring back from the gp This may not happen for some time.

Surely if there is a concern of any kind,then best avoid the risk .

Because of the housing EXPLOSION happening near me, I have a three week delay to see my GP, even for what might constitute a day off sick!

7 hours ago, thirty2a said:

what layouts are people looking forward too...? 

I'm looking forward to seeing the layouts there and, perhaps, gaining inspiration for my next one.

15 hours ago, John M Upton said:

If this bug is to be allowed to run its course I would rather they just got on with and get it over with than delay. 

I'm not sure whether you are suggesting that we should just let the virus run wild rather than delaying its progress.

If so you should remember that we don't have unlimited medical resources to deal with what would be a rapid increase in severe cases. Also worth remembering that while we may have our focus on the virus, there are still plenty of people with severe, unconnected, conditions who also need treatment. Overloading the health service could put them at risk too as resources are diverted to virus victims.

Edited by sharris
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

This is a little of the beaten track. But for those people who are going to drive to the event, make sure that you pay the "Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and/or the Low Emission Zone (LEZ)" charge.

More infomation can be found from this link.

I hope that this is of help to people.

Terry.

The exhibition may be off if the breaking news is correct.

News agencies are saying that the Government will announce an escalation to the next phase tomorrow.

This will probably include restrictions on large gatherings, such as sports events, concerts etc.

Bearing in mind what Andy posted earlier, I suspected it would inevitably come to this.

I’m personally disappointed, but I’d already made my decision not to go last weekend.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 2

Hi Terry - thought we'd covered this one off. The venue is in the LEZ (Low Emission Zone) which only applies to large vehicles like trucks and buses- and it's got to be pretty old to not comply with that at the moment (it gets tougher in October, but that's for 2021).

The ULEZ is new, but only affects a small part of central London well away from Alexandra Palace. Even if you are coming from for example Croydon, there are a multitude of ways to avoid it. So I'd be surprised if anyone has to pay the charges. Parking is free on site, and the W3 bus provides an excellent service from Finsbury Park, Alexandra Palace and Wood Green.

Tom

• Agree 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

News agencies are saying that the Government will announce an escalation to the next phase tomorrow.

This will probably include restrictions on large gatherings, such as sports events, concerts etc

I'm not personally expecting to see that degree of clarity yet.

"social distancing" measures will be considered - which could include restrictions on public gatherings above a certain number of people, although this is not thought likely at this stage.

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51845861

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I'm not personally expecting to see that degree of clarity yet.

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51845861

I very much hope you are right Andy. I await the government’s instruction with baited breath. I do think the sensible thing would be for the government to allow events like this to go ahead at this stage and then people can make up their own minds if they feel able to go or not.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The thing is it's a model rail exhibition not a cup final so in reality there will be far less people there at any one time than there is at a busy station in rush hour 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I attend quite a few shows as either an exhibitor, demonstrator or paying punter. For me, it goes with the territory that if you have lots of people together there is a decent chance that some will have some form of virus and will pass it on and me being ill after a show is a regular happening.

The most recent show, at Doncaster, was after the present outbreak had begun and I was very aware of people standing in front of the stand I was on, full of cold, breathing, snuffling and sometimes coughing rather to closely for comfort. More than one or two said things like "I only have a cold, not the virus".

The organisers of shows have a difficult choice. Cancel and take a huge hit financially or wait to see if such shows are banned and hope they can claim on insurance. If the show goes ahead, layouts, traders and punters may stay away.

Not a happy time but I won't be giving organisers any grief over what they decide to do. They are between a rock and a hard place.

• Agree 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

More than one or two said things like "I only have a cold, not the virus".

How would they know that?

The common cold is a virus (or several hundred similar virii). Corona/Covid19 is a similar strain. It may well be stronger than most colds but early symptoms are probably indistinguishable to anyone who has not studied it in detail.

I have heard it compared to flu, but there are a couple of important things to consider:

There is a vaccine for flu. A vaccine for Covid19 has not been produced (& may not be - there is no vaccine for the common cold).

Many people claim they have flu when they have just got a common cold.

The last time I heard an update, we had 8 deaths in the UK from this virus so far. How many have been killed by the common cold in this time? Is this information even public?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to the topic, all traders and layout owners / demonstrators need to be aware of this couple of thieves.

On previous form they may well turn up at the weekend. They were in Rails of Sheffield the day before the Doncaster Show and were active last week before the theft at Leamington.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The organisers of shows have a difficult choice. Cancel and take a huge hit financially or wait to see if such shows are banned and hope they can claim on insurance. If the show goes ahead, layouts, traders and punters may stay away.

Not a happy time but I won't be giving organisers any grief over what they decide to do. They are between a rock and a hard place.

Very true. The financial hit for most show organisers will be huge - exhibition venues cost in the tens of thousands to hire each day. Without government advice that would allow insurance to kick in, it will be the end for many companies, clubs and societies.

10 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This will probably include restrictions on large gatherings, such as sports events, concerts etc.

Bearing in mind what Andy posted earlier, I suspected it would inevitably come to this.

I’m personally disappointed, but I’d already made my decision not to go last weekend.

All those organisers are watching the news with baited breath so doom-laden speculation, especially from anyone who isn't attending the event, is not helpful. Indeed, it looks to me a bit like gloating. Some people, including those very one faced with the decision, don't have a choice but to go to the event. As and when the news changes, decisions will be made and details released. Leave it at that. Things are bad enough without  talking them down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, tc said:

Hi Terry - thought we'd covered this one off. The venue is in the LEZ (Low Emission Zone) which only applies to large vehicles like trucks and buses- and it's got to be pretty old to not comply with that at the moment (it gets tougher in October, but that's for 2021)

Tom

Its not as straightforward as that. TFL has a link through to the DVLA data base which allows you to put in your vehicle reg. Put that in and it will tell you if you need to pay either. I did with two vehicles, both 54 plate, one a 2.0D estate, the other a 2.0 petrol car, neither 'pretty old'. The diesel car needs to pay the petrol doesn't. To save a few quid from a fine, use the link.

48 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

.....All those organisers are watching the news with baited breath so doom-laden speculation, especially from anyone who isn't attending the event, is not helpful. Indeed, it looks to me a bit like gloating. Some people, including those very one faced with the decision, don't have a choice but to go to the event. As and when the news changes, decisions will be made and details released. Leave it at that. Things are bad enough without  talking them down.

Apologies Phil.

I am in no way gloating or intending to make doom-laden speculation.

It’s a very serious situation, as I’m only to well aware.

My sister and her family are in the thick of it in northern Italy and I’m in daily contact with them.

The situation is utterly terrifying for all of them.

As most of us are aware, the whole place is in lockdown. Businesses are closed and many people are unable to work or go about their daily routines.

Only limited places are open but with restrictions. Chemists, food stores, the post office.

The supermarkets are limiting entry. Only a handful of people allowed in at any one time and those waiting are queuing patiently separated two or three metres apart. Disposable gloves have to be worn when you enter.

In their village, there are 3 cases. Their own GP is in self quarantine and nobody knows if he’s “got it” or is taking precautions because of a possible exposure. How many patients did he see before going into quarantine? Nobody knows.
In the local old people’s home, they are in lock down and have been for a couple of weeks. The unit has been split into internally isolated sections with no movement between them permitted.  At first family members were restricted to one person visiting for 30 minutes. Now all access by family members and social workers etc, has been stopped. Only fully kitted up staff and nurses are allowed in.

I shall stop posting on this topic in all related threads.

However, I implore you and others to consider that the stay calm and wait for it to happen approach might possibly be a mistake.

I sincerely hope it’s  not, but please do consider the possibility.

We go to town on health and safety and taking sensible precautionary measures in all walks of life these days; only to throw out that approach when a real danger is hurtling our way in full view.

Best wishes Phil.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

27 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

For clarity. BBC  News app ahead of Cobra meeting states restrictions on public gatherings above a certain number unlikely at this stage.It is thought it will concentrate on measures for the elderly and vulnerable.

Will the bars at Ally Pally be checking your ID to make sure you're not too young, or too old? :drinks:

beer is good give me beer, that reminds me of when the exhibition was at the horticultural halls, big hall in the morning, Barley mo for lunch and some live steam in the afternoon :-) I realised ive been going a long time! found a guide for Westminster hall!