The London Festival of Railway Modelling- 21 & 22 March 2020

BRMExhibitions

• RMweb Premium

"Could be" being a holding position.  The advice which seems to be coming from various sources that large and open-air venues are considered less of a risk than smaller enclosed ones.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nile said:

Mass gathering is more than 500, according to Newsnight.

That will be interesting to enforce on trains, tubes and some larger workplaces.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

This latest development is being reported widely this evening, and although it sounds like it's got foundation we'll need to wait for the announcement. As soon as anything is decided it will be posted here, on social media and the world-of-railways and MRC websites, noting that the weekend might slightly slow that formal process down. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

TBH, all this conditional tense (e.g. 'could', etc.) stuff is, by its conditionality, pure conjecture and fuelling the potential ensuing massed hysteria.

Let's try to be rational, listen to expert advice and decide accordingly.

Any of you remember the Asian Flu epidemic of the late 60s?

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

And numerous other fast-spreading viral infections.  None of which triggered anything like the response this one has.  There remains no cure (indeed there is none for any corona virus of which the best known is the common cold) and few hard facts.  But is there really a need to scare-monger and hype?

Without wishing to breach our political comment rule I would have hoped a decent leader might have said something along the lines of "There is no need to bulk-buy or stock up on anything beyond normal weekly shopping" rather than "many more will lose loved ones".  

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Oh yay. More speculative press induced hysteria to look forward too. 

99A1C87B-E2DD-4694-B03A-194CE81C9D13.gif.0600b5007a7b05beacd54359021afed7.gif

I’ve been doing this so much this week I’ll soon be as bald as Picard. 

Tom. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

Asian Flu was 1957, remember my dad caught it and was pretty rough for a time.

Late 60's was Hong Kong flu, that seemed to pass us by.

As regards the present situation it looks as if the Govt has been bounced into further steps.

Stu

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like speculative off the record guff regurgitated and interpreted to once again try and sell more newspapers.

As far as I am concerned until anything official is announced, this can be ignored.

It is pretty much unenforceable in law anyway.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Without wishing to breach our political comment rule I would have hoped a decent leader might have said something along the lines of "There is no need to bulk-buy or stock up on anything beyond normal weekly shopping" rather than "many more will lose loved ones".  

They did...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/08/coronavirus-stockpiling-supermarkets-toilet-paper-hand-gel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51800046

29 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Flu epidemic of the late 60s?

Yes  I  remember  the Asian  Flu epidemic  still went  the  The  Corn  Exchange  in Manchester for  the   Annual Manchester Model Railway society  Christmas Exhibition,

I Also  remember  the earlier  problems  we  encountered  with  Polio, Diptheria,  Smallpox, and  a few  other nasty things in the 60s

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

He has (effectively) said that though: "I am confident we have fantastic supply chains. It is very important that everybody should behave responsibly and think about others."

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

TBH, all this conditional tense (e.g. 'could', etc.) stuff is, by its conditionality, pure conjecture and fuelling the potential ensuing massed hysteria.

Let's try to be rational, listen to expert advice and decide accordingly.

These sources state the ban will happen rather than might happen.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/13/mass-gatherings-banned-britain-boris-johnson-makes-coronavirus/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/uk-to-ban-mass-gatherings-in-coronavirus-u-turn

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

indeed there is none for any corona virus of which the best known is the common cold

There are over 200 viral types associated with colds, coronaviruses are responsible for about 15%. Better known are the rhinoviruses - part of the enterovirus family.

Remember, just because a coronavirus can cause colds, it doesn't mean that this virus just causes 'a bad cold'.  Some Enteroviruses cause colds too, but some are responsible for polio.

Edited by sharris

• RMweb Premium

I can't help thinking this is weekend papers speculation to fill pages as they have nothing new to report until Monday.  At least I hope it is otherwise Boris Johnson will find himself going on my err poo list...

• Agree 5

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I can't help thinking this is weekend papers speculation to fill pages as they have nothing new to report until Monday

Don't blame the media for this one, it will have come from a strategic leak from Whitehall.

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I can't help thinking this is weekend papers speculation to fill pages as they have nothing new to report until Monday.  At least I hope it is otherwise Boris Johnson will find himself going on my err poo list

Well you've probably got a couple of days to get used to the idea and cross him off your Xmas card list.

Too many coming up with the same news........!

Stu