The London Festival of Railway Modelling- 21 & 22 March 2020

BRMExhibitions

I often don't decide until the day when I go - often choosing the sunnier/drier day to trek up the hill, and occasionally depending on how Friday's work pub session ended up.

This year I might buy a ticket for both days, just to use the toilets :D

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

It always amazed me to see stuff that was on Bachmanns scrum returns stand on eBay by the time I had got home at a significant mark up!

Must be because of its miraculous healing properties!

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

It always amazed me to see stuff that was on Bachmanns scrum returns stand on eBay by the time I had got home at a significant mark up!

Those who engage in such things might perhaps have listings already to go and only need to get hold of their items before pressing the button to activate the listing.  As such one could have a listing on eBay within seconds of purchasing from the stand and have re-sold the item at a fair profit moments later.

OK

As a survivor of Leukaemia with a poor immune system, this virus is a real and present danger to me and my family.

I am due to go to Ally Pally with a layout.  I and my other operators are older men with a number of health conditions.  Do we take a risk and go?

We have a real dilemma.

Andrew

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

Do we take a risk and go?

We have a real dilemma.

I would suggest holding on to make a more informed decision for at least 48 hours to see what happens with infection trends and/or any governmental advice/rulings (as there's a COBRA meeting later today). It's a difficult situation for all and the concern is recognised.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I would suggest holding on to make a more informed decision for at least 48 hours to see what happens with infection trends and/or any governmental advice/rulings

From the BBC:

Measures to delay the virus's spread with "social distancing" measures will not be introduced yet, ministers decided.

Banning big events and closing schools were said to have been considered.

Downing Street said the prime minister "will be guided by the best scientific advice" but there was no need to cancel sporting events at this stage,

There is therefore no stipulation yet for event cancellation so we continue to proceed with the plans detailed on Friday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

OK

As a survivor of Leukaemia with a poor immune system, this virus is a real and present danger to me and my family.

I am due to go to Ally Pally with a layout.  I and my other operators are older men with a number of health conditions.  Do we take a risk and go?

We have a real dilemma.

Andrew

Don't go. Not worth the risk.

• Agree 3

On 09/03/2020 at 09:16, mevaman1 said:

OK

We have a real dilemma.

Andrew

I agree with the other posters. Don’t take the risk. There is only one of you but there will be plenty more model railway exhibitions in the future.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if the whole show gets cancelled between now and a week on Saturday.

• Agree 1

obviously if you have a worry about health you should try to avoid unnecessary risk, I still intend to go subject to it not being cancelled, fingers crossed. as a London commuter I don't feel the risk is any greater than my usual travel. I am leaving the booking to last minute though, will get the e ticket option at the end of the week. ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not too sure if I should be taking Deadmans Lane - the name is associated with The Great Plague...…………………….

(Stock is being prepped anyway)

See you there.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

I'm not too sure if I should be taking Deadmans Lane - the name is associated with The Great Plague...…………………….

(Stock is being prepped anyway)

See you there.

Cheers,

Mick

Please bring ‘Deadman’s Lane’ Mick (unless you’re in one of those high risk groups of course)! Seeing it in the flesh is one of the main reasons I want to come to the show.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Please bring ‘Deadman’s Lane’ Mick (unless you’re in one of those high risk groups of course)! Seeing it in the flesh is one of the main reasons I want to come to the show.

As it currently stands - if the show goes ahead - DL will be there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

If it's all DCC - do you have to be there or can you simply connect it up and remotely operate the layout from the safety of a sanitised room?

DCC is clever but it doesn't put the stock on the rails.  Yet ;)

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

We are seriously concerned about bringing Templeford to the show. All our operators are in their 60s and 70s. Several people do not feel able or willing to sign the self declaration form. I am wondering whether in actual fact several of the layouts have already pulled out given that their builders are often well into retirement. Reading the various other posts on the forum, a lot of people are thinking to not go in any case. If most of the traders and most of the layouts were to say they do not want to attend because of the Coronavirus situation, which is far more serious than some people are trying to suggest (they are probably the ones who have the most to lose financially, or to put it another way to not make financially), then there would not be much point in having the exhibition in any case. I personally think that the show should be cancelled, the risk to everyone who goes is just too great especially given the general ages of those who do go to shows of this nature. Is it worth us all putting our lives at risk, just for someone's financial gain?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

If it's all DCC - do you have to be there or can you simply connect it up and remotely operate the layout from the safety of a sanitised room?

Isn't there a new Hornby thingamajig that lets you control a DC layout from a phone?

You could phone in your train operations from your sofa.

• RMweb Premium

I am an over 70s punter, mildly asthmatic and bought my ticket several weeks ago. My wife is younger than me but has been hospitalised with serious health issues twice in the last 15 months with risk of recurrence. The decision is therefore sadly easy and I will stay at home in Dorset. I would be travelling by train and tube to get to Ally Pally so additional risk there. I bought 2 tickets as a young friend was accompanying me. As far as I am aware the tickets are non refundable but that is unimportant compared to the loss that we incur if stricken with the dreaded lurgi. I do hope other elderly visitors and exhibitors think carefully before deciding whether to attend. I WANT TO BE THERE NEXT YEAR! after all.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9