Levenmouth rail link reopening

According to Fife Today

Network Rail has started development work to choose the most appropriate scheme to reopen the Levenmouth rail link.  The Transport Secretary announced in August that the Scottish Government would be investing £75 million in reopening the line, which has been closed for 50 years. Following the announcement, Network Rail was then commissioned to design and construct the new railway along the alignment of the existing track, for both passengers and freight. Providing an update on the project, a Transport Scotland spokesperson said: “Initial development work is being undertaken by Network Rail in order to select the most appropriate scheme to enable reopening of the rail link and deliver new stations within Leven and Cameron Bridge.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/work-progressing-on-levenmouth-rail-link-reopening-1-5061168

Good news perhaps for the Fife Heritage Railway in Leven, if it is besides the new line?

https://www.fifeheritagerailway.co.uk/

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Not a criticism but could you explain where the link is from and to? The news report gives no clue to a southerner like me.

Thanks

Jonathan

Fife Today is part of a group of newspapers/news outlets for the local Fife area of Scotland.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Not a criticism but could you explain where the link is from and to? The news report gives no clue to a southerner like me.

Thanks

Jonathan

1 minute ago, Zomboid said:

I think it's the route from Glenrothes to Levenmouth. No idea when it last had a passenger train, but most of the track is still in situ on Google Earth photos from when it was a freight branch.

Runs via the wonderfully named Windygates.

My apologies, I thought you meant the web link to the website. How embarrassing. Apologies again.

• RMweb Premium

It's all that's  left of the Leven & East Fife Railway from Thornton Junction to St. Andrews via the Fife Coast.

After closure of most of the route in 1965(?) it latterly served Cameron Bridge (at Windygates) for distillery traffic and, via Kirkland Yard, Methil Power Station (coal slurry). The last traffic was to an open-cast facility at Earlseat (between TJ and Cameron Bridge)

The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society (KFRPS) is at the eastern end of the former Kirkland Yard, just before where the line to Leven station went under Glenlyon Road.

The site of the previous Leven station has been built on, any new terminus would likely be further down towards the shore (following the Methil route)

https://www.railscot.co.uk/Leven_Railway/index.php

• Informative/Useful 2

21 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks. Presumably so that politicians can get to St Andrews Golf Course more easily. Sorry, I don't do smileys, so please do not get offended by that statement.

My trusty Ian Allan atlas has the route, of course. It looks very scenic.

Jonathan

The route planned for re-opening goes nowhere near St Andrews.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, caradoc said:

The route planned for re-opening goes nowhere near St Andrews.

Indeed, and more to do with improving transportation, job opportunities and investment potential to one of Scotland's more deprived areas, which, collectively, has a rather large population.

Best

Scott

• Agree 2

Levenmouth looks certain to go ahead, Leuchars/St Andrews is a possibility (and in truth should never have closed), but the bit in the middle I would think is a bridge (and cutting, embankment etc) too far !

The Thornton to Methil Docks part was never lifted so re building this bit of the line looks fairly easy.  The Leuchars to St Andrews end was and although several proposals have been made for reopening the local authority must have given permission for housing development on the site of the old Guardbridge station about ten years ago effectively blocking the route. The long scenic bit round the coast will never re open. Too much cleared and built over.  Mea Culpa when I had my factory in ST. Monans it was built on the station site and my office window gave the same view of the Stationmasters house as my photograph of a train entering the station.  When the DMUs were introduced there was still a bit of fish traffic which had been tail traffic on the steam trains. The DMUs could not cope with this so there was one steam working per day for a time. When this was discontinued some friends and I travelled on the last steam service.

The proposed line will pass the Fife Heritage Railway site whose running line parallels it for a bit. I presume the station will be around where it passes under the road at the Bawbee Brig there was coalyard there at one time now I think under the bus station. Linking with the buses would seem logical.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

If there was a devolved English parliament the trains would have reached Portishead and Ashington years ago.

IIRC, the last attempt to impose a devolved English parliament (or Regional Assembly) was soundly rejected by the general public in that area as an unwanted additional layer of bureaucracy.

On 4 November 2004, voters in the North East rejected the proposal, in an all-postal ballot, by 77.9% to 22.1%, on a turnout of 48%. Every council area in the region had a majority for "no".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_North_East_England_devolution_referendum

But what do they know?

The application to the Planning Inspectorate for the Portishead Branch Line (MetroWest Phase 1) is from North Somerset Council. Is that devolved enough?

https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/south-west/portishead-branch-line-metrowest-phase-1/

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I passed Thornton Junction about a month ago and was disappointed to see the undergrowth as thick as ever on the track descending towards Cameron Bridge and Methil.

However it seems the project is not dead: Network Rail feels confident enough to make a press release that the vegetation will be cleared to allow survey work to start: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/vegetation-clearance-heralds-start-of-work-to-get-levenmouth-reconnected/

That can only be good news, and hopefully the Scottish government will keep the pressure up (and the budget available) beyond the election next May.

Regards

Graham

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1