Broken down A4 to be moved

lmsforever

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I assume the corridor was supposed to have been disconnected along with the coupling, vac & steam pipes...rather than the other way around?

Presumably. Particularly like the guy who walks along the platform (from behind 60009) and when he gets to the coach, lifts his cap, scratches his head and replaces cap – very authentic!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I suppose it is a very rare event to have a standard gangway connected to a pullman corridor fitted loco.  Any other combination just mechanically uncoupling and the pipes is all that is required. You would have to be paying attention not to forget.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Titan said:

I suppose it is a very rare event to have a standard gangway connected to a pullman corridor fitted loco.  Any other combination just mechanically uncoupling and the pipes is all that is required. You would have to be paying attention not to forget.

I blame the LMS (and GWR) for not adopting the far superior 'Pullman' style gangways.....

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I assume the corridor was supposed to have been disconnected along with the coupling, vac & steam pipes...rather than the other way around?

The point is ordinarily the gangway structures are not physically attached to each other - they just rub against each other meaning that it is usually just a case of detaching the pipes and uncoupling.

HOWEVER....

Because the 'British Standard' and 'Pullman' style gangways are fundamentally different beasts - not to mention the latter being bigger than the former, when the two different types of gangways butt up against each other it is therefore necessary to actually physically clip the two together via a special adaptor. If you don't remove the clips when separating, then the more robust 'Pullman' gangway will rip apart the flimsy 'British standard' type as per the video (note the 'adaptor' is still firmly attached to the 'Pullman' gangway on 60009...)

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That was silly

A childish cry of "that's naughty" is clearly audible in the video!

I'm curious as to why the corridor connection was made anyway - the East Lancs doesn't provide so long a non-stop run that a crew change is needed en route.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm curious as to why the corridor connection was made anyway - the East Lancs doesn't provide so long a non-stop run that a crew change is needed en route.

I suspect that it would simply be to hold the standard gangway steady.  I don't know how much the standard gangway could be retracted, but probably not enough to keep clear of the Pullman under all circumstances. The misalignment on curves or uneven track could cause the standard gangway to get caught on the Pullman and damaged if it was not connected.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

(note the 'adaptor' is still firmly attached to the 'Pullman' gangway on 60009...)

Why has the BS gangway got a flat top?

When I saw it I assumed the adaptor was still attached to the torn off BS gangway.

What's left on No9 looks like the distorted Pullman rubbing plate. (IMHO)

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Why has the BS gangway got a flat top?

When I saw it I assumed the adaptor was still attached to the torn off BS gangway.

What's left on No9 looks like the distorted Pullman rubbing plate. (IMHO)

Looking at the video again - yes you are probably correct.

• RMweb Gold

Watching the video a few times and the way the Standard gangway ends up. It looks as if the adapter clip on the platform side has been disconnected and the non platform side forgotten about. The adapter is just a height extension to the standard gangway and adapter clips which are the width of the Pullman gangway. I must say though. It held on very well to distort what is a fairly thick piece of metal on a Pullman faceplate. 

As a C&W man. It pains me more about the BGZ than the A4. It could have been an awful lost worse with the coach end being split open with the forces involved. 

• Agree 2

Apparently, the train was full, it may have been preparing to depart. 

Given the main signal is showing clear and not the shunt signal adds weight to this.

Is forgetting to couple the train more serious than forgetting to undo the corridor attachment, is there not a brake test to check train brakes required?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This may be rubbish, but I read it elsewhere, and what I read was that the loco was pulling forward to take on water. The Stove R and the tender corridor connections were not supposed to be connected at all, but the adaptor clips had for some reason (either not being stowed properly, or through vehicle movement) become attached to the tender connection.

Thus the crew, having not attached the corridor connectors, did not realise the two vehicles had become intertwined, leading to what you see in the video.

This could be conjecture, I have not verified the source.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/12/2019 at 15:29, Corbs said:

This may be rubbish, but I read it elsewhere, and what I read was that the loco was pulling forward to take on water. The Stove R and the tender corridor connections were not supposed to be connected at all, but the adaptor clips had for some reason (either not being stowed properly, or through vehicle movement) become attached to the tender connection.

Thus the crew, having not attached the corridor connectors, did not realise the two vehicles had become intertwined, leading to what you see in the video.

This could be conjecture, I have not verified the source.

And there is a lamp on the back of the tender

cheers