Railway Bylines and British Railways Illustrated new owners

Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The problem is that the modelling section is exactly the same in both Brill and Bylines - which is both unimaginative and rather irritating if, like me, you buy both mags because of their different areas of coverage.  Editorship so far is unchanged.

My sentiments entirely!  What a swizz I thought when I had a quick look in Smurfs the other day. 

What wasn't clear from a quick look; is the modelling section an "extra insert" or or is it "instead of" normal content?

11 hours ago, DLT said:

What wasn't clear from a quick look; is the modelling section an "extra insert" or or is it "instead of" normal content?

Looking at the first two inclusions in Bylines, they are inserted into the middle of the mag and easily removed from the staples without injuring the rest of the pages.  At present, I don't get the impression that the "extras" are leeching off normal content.

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 18:48, Phil Parker said:

Morill was Irwell until they sold it. Then everything went wrong and a lot of people got shafted, including those putting it together.

Still waiting for my cheque................:rolleyes:

Guideline produce several model magazines of reasonabl;e repute.  Don't forget that a magazine is only as good as the articles its contributors contribute.  A friend of mine who is very respected in another model related sphere rates them as being good.

• 4 months later...

I've just bought the November issue of Bylines, my first since January, and the model railway pages are, thankfully, absent. A comment inside says that they are suspended for this issue at least but will return "as soon as is practicable". What a shame. I was hoping they were gone for good.

• Agree 4

56 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I've just bought the November issue of Bylines, my first since January, and the model railway pages are, thankfully, absent. A comment inside says that they are suspended for this issue at least but will return "as soon as is practicable". What a shame. I was hoping they were gone for good.

Its been like that since lockdown 1.0  - it does say on the cover they are available digitally via their website

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Jan Bylines fell through the letter box this pm and alongside the contents list is an advisory that from the Feb issue (BRILL as well) a 8 page 'Modern Railway News' will be included:huh:

I was looking for the 'groan' response but it seems to have disappeared (?) as I'm not a fan of these supplements in this publication, which I've bought since seeing the initial taster.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 16:15, Pint of Adnams said:

Perhaps the greatest loss is that of the contents listings for BRILL and Bylines from the Irwell website...

Agreed. Are they available anywhere on the net now or did anyone have the foresight to copy them before they went? Looking for BRILL volumes 26 to 28 in particular.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I was looking for help...I have all but one issue of Railway Bylines, but finding it is stymied by the quirk of starting each volume in December coupled with the publishers occasionally mixing up the date on the cover, even with the latest publisher. For example Volume 26 No2 says Volume 25 on the magazine.

I was looking for Volume 10 no1 which should have the publication date as 1 December 2004. However the issue I have with that date on says Volume 9! I also have Volume 9 no1 which correctly says December 2003.

I found that all the pages as well as the cover of another claiming to be Volume 9 no1 has December 2004 on the cover and 2004 at the bottom of each page. The answer was resolved when I read the "Greetings from the Shed" on the contents page. The first line says "Welcome to Railway Bylines 10:1" I don't understand how or why this happens but it isn't the first time I've come across it in this magazine. Now you know where to look if you've been shunted into a siding trying to resolve a similar issue.

Ken Crawley

Edited by Southwold
Answered my own question