Layout advise please

John Hubbard

21 hours ago, Harlequin said:

:smile_mini:

Now, this is getting interesting because you are heading from Ashburton to Moretonhampstead (sort of) while I am heading from Moretonhampstead to Ashburton...

Let me explain. You might like to have a look at my topic "Hampton Malstead". The early ideas were inspired by Moretonhampstead but were compromised by space (and lack of experience) into a rather generic trackplan. The much more open and curvaceous, flowing plan at the end of the topic is a huge improvement but I'm still not entirely happy with it because there's still not much room for non-railway scenery around the station. When I worked up the Ashburton-like sketch for you I realised that a linear station on wide baseboards doesn't suffer from that problem and the more I think about it, the more attractive it seems!

Hence, I’m potentially heading in the opposite direction to you - wider boards and simpler, thinner, straighter trackplan.

So I hope you won't be upset or surprised if you see me do something like my Ashburton-like suggestion above. And I too am already thinking about spreading over three boards making up 12ft scenic length.

(Feel free to have a dusty loading area - I'm not going to claim copyright on it ;-)

@HarlequinThat's a very interesting article, and it appears I'm following a well trodden path.

As you say its amusing how you've gone one direction from MH, while I seem to be following another.  How is work progressing on your project?

I must admit, I'm hoping I can avoid the signalling debate by simply copying the original MH installation.

WRT the most recent diagram, noting viewing is expected to be from the goods side, the rear will be "forested", if I'm still short of space when I lay this out I have two options I think...

1. remove the front siding
  2. negotiate  an extra few inches width by insisting its the last layout in the van, or even hiring a separate van for the few instances it travels in a full van.

Generally in terms of scenery, top left will be good yard cameos, with stories from the MH book describing yard activity, along with cattle being 'driven' to or from the the dock.

Behind the engine shed, and in that area will be more stories from the book, along with an occupation crossing just to the right of the point leading to the back scene through a background of forestry, (I'm going to have to learn to like making trees), n.b. the track will not link to the station directly, or rather it might but 'off board'.

That leaves most of the middle board, which at the moment will be farmland, perhaps somewhere for me to model some of my country upbringing rather than trying to cram something else, maybe I'll be a little provocative and include a 'hunt' in the back ground. ;)  I'm open to ideas for this bit though.

Washingly.png

Edited by John Hubbard
  • Like 2