Plenty of crane photos here https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=cranes

Although some will be familiar from

Tatlow, Peter (2012) Railway Breakdown Cranes: Volume 1 The Story of Steam Breakdown Cranes on the Railways of Britain. Publ. Noodle Books by Kevin Robertson ISBN 13: 9781906419691. 256 pages.

Tatlow, Peter (2013) Railway Breakdown Cranes: Volume 2 The Story of Breakdown Cranes on the Railways of Britain. Publ. Noodle Books by Kevin Robertson ISBN 13: 978190641997-4. 296 pages.

Tatlow, Peter (2018) Railway Cranes: Volume 3. Rail-mounted travelling Cranes of Britain. Publ. Crecy Publishing Ltd Manchester ISBN  978086093684-8. 224 pages.

Paul

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Plenty of crane photos here https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=cranes

Although some will be familiar from

Tatlow, Peter (2012) Railway Breakdown Cranes: Volume 1 The Story of Steam Breakdown Cranes on the Railways of Britain. Publ. Noodle Books by Kevin Robertson ISBN 13: 9781906419691. 256 pages.

Tatlow, Peter (2013) Railway Breakdown Cranes: Volume 2 The Story of Breakdown Cranes on the Railways of Britain. Publ. Noodle Books by Kevin Robertson ISBN 13: 978190641997-4. 296 pages.

Tatlow, Peter (2018) Railway Cranes: Volume 3. Rail-mounted travelling Cranes of Britain. Publ. Crecy Publishing Ltd Manchester ISBN  978086093684-8. 224 pages.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Excellent albums there with the sort of bonus of seeing some that I had not previously found. I say sort of bonus because I found some shots of the Coles 10 ton bogie mounted crane in the not previously found category. It seems that with my part built model not only is the cab wrong so is the jib, nothing a  bit of alteration can't put right !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

After looking at the albums that Paul has kindly posted links to above I have discovered that there are detail inaccuracies to my model of the 10 ton Coles crane.

Most obvious is the shape of the cab for which I used a photograph of the crane at the NYMR as reference for making up the bits that I didn't have photographs of. The photographs I have since discovered shew a different profile to the cab roof which has more of a slope to the outer edge of it along with an angled corner of the cab front window. The jib is also incorrect as the cross bracing top and under side of the jib should be angled at an approximate 60*, this is because I used a photograph taken from the side which gave a parallax error for I fitted the cross bracing at 90* and 45* alternately. Both will require remedial attention but nothing too drastic, fortunately I haven't painted any of it yet. The album shewing the Coles 10 ton crane is listed as DR 813-- CCE HD DE, Cranes, Runners, Match.

I shall post some before and after photographs to shew progress with the Coles crane.

Gibbo.

DSCF0510.JPG.ed38293933dcdbb9e65b09c36adf7680.JPG

Is that a scratchbuilt, scale length jib?

Fairly early on, the operaters' cabs had the front of the roof cut off and converted into a sloping window - presumably to give visibility of the end of the longer-than-standard jib.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

DSCF0510.JPG.ed38293933dcdbb9e65b09c36adf7680.JPG

Is that a scratchbuilt, scale length jib?

Fairly early on, the operaters' cabs had the front of the roof cut off and converted into a sloping window - presumably to give visibility of the end of the longer-than-standard jib.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

The jib is the one supplied with the kit although it has been modified in that it has had a new swan neck fitted which is a slight longer and of a different angle, also the jib foot has been altered with the box section as may be seen. There are details of the modifications made on a Smith-Rodley thread somewhere, I shall have to re-post here sometime. There are a set of your transfers ready to go for that crane, and also the C&S hand crane, which have both been varnished ready but it is a little tack yet so the job will have to wait.

Gibbo.

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi John,

The jib is the one supplied with the kit although it has been modified in that it has had a new swan neck fitted which is a slight longer and of a different angle, also the jib foot has been altered with the box section as may be seen. There are details of the modifications made on a Smith-Rodley thread somewhere, I shall have to re-post here sometime. There are a set of your transfers ready to go for that crane, and also the C&S hand crane, which have both been varnished ready but it is a little tack yet so the job will have to wait.

Gibbo.

Gibbo,

Years back, when I bought my Unimat lathe, I decided to learn how to use it by converting the Dapol Booth crane to scale.

To that end, I arranged to visit a derelict BR crane at Reading that had latterly been used as a yard shunter without its jib. I measured and photographed the crane carriage, and acquired copies of the original BR drawing for these cranes.

The carriage is almost completed, but I've done no work on it for years. It has a pair of hidden, equalised bogies; is scratchbuilt from brass; and has working, milled steel stabilising beams, with working screw jacks on their ends. That was a very steep learning curve with the Unimat !

I really must finish the carriage sometime soon, and then get on and build a replacement, full length jib.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. The carriage axleboxes / springs were supplied by BR, and were from Midland Railway tenders. Fortunately, Slaters suppied / still supply the correct type as glass-filled nylon mouldings.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Gibbo,

Years back, when I bought my Unimat lathe, I decided to learn how to use it by converting the Dapol Booth crane to scale.

To that end, I arranged to visit a derelict BR crane at Reading that had latterly been used as a yard shunter without its jib. I measured and photographed the crane carriage. and acquired copies of the original BR drawing for these cranes.

The carriage is almost completed, but I've done no work on it for years. It has a pair of hidden, equalised bogies; is scratchbuilt from brass; and has working, milled steel stabilising beams, with working screw jacks on their ends. That was a very steep learning curve with the Unimat !

I really must finish the carriage sometime soon, and then get on an build a replacement, full length jib.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

I have seen photographs of your brass chassis on one of the threads here and it is a super piece of work. Mention of working screw jacks in 4mm is quite some trick to pull off.

As the jib goes the lattice section is of the correct length but there should only be seventeen angles along each side but the model has twenty. I was happy to live with that discrepancy on the basis that if it looks right it is right, and with the alterations to the swan neck and jib foot it is good enough for me.

Building lattice jibs is much more daunting than it seems, it is mainly preparation and patience. They are also a lot stronger than they look, just like the real ones are, even when unlike the real ones they are made from Plastruct angle and micro-strip. I first draw out the lattice in pencil on paper and then cut the longitudinal pieces overly long securing each end to suit using scraps of plasticard. I then simply cut and lay on the angles of micro-strip in place on a positioned drop of glue in accordance with my drawing which is laid directly underneath. Once one side is complete I then use that to make the other side with. When both sides are complete and cured I fix the sides together using the tail ends of the longitudinal pieces and scrap plasticard and then repeat the process.

Gibbo.

11 minutes ago, micklner said:

A couple of photos of a D&S Cowans Sheldon Crane and ex NER Riding Tool Vans.

post-7186-0-61596500-1294678776_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-01592800-1379170597.jpg

Hi There,

Great stuff, I have seen the D&S kit before and it looks great. I do especially like the NER riding vans as they complete the look of the crane, were they scratch built or converted from something else?

Gibbo.

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

Great stuff, I have seen the D&S kit before and it looks great. I do especially like the NER riding vans as they complete the look of the crane, were they scratch built or converted from something else?

Gibbo.

Crane and vans are all D&S, they come up on ebay for silly money !!.

Hi

Yes the chassis is a separate item from a cambrian C5 crane kit but the crane Body, jib an clamshell bucket is available from me. I Can Supply the chassis Or even build it complete for a extra cost

Kind regards Neil 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Just now, B15nac said:

Hi

Yes the chassis is a separate item from a cambrian C5 crane kit but the crane Body, jib an clamshell bucket is available from me. I Can Supply the chassis Or even build it complete for a extra cost

Kind regards Neil 

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the above posting, it is just the kind of information that is needed for anyone wishing to model cranes of any type.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

I've been busy looking at Paul Bartlett's photographs of Coles cranes and I have reworked the cab of the Coles 10 ton DE. The front window has had the window deepened slightly along with a new cab side to allow the angled side of the cab and a new cab roof. The superstructure is now painted Engineers Olive so that I may fit the glazing, the cab roof section has not yet been fixed although it fits up as it should.

I have yet to alter the jib, also the bogies will in time receive attention as they are leftovers from the Dapol Booth Rodley kit and as such they are the wrong pattern.

DSCF0863.JPG.90d52dd4cc40e5a07da7f16da8e4a417.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

This is just my Cowans Sheldon collection.

Firground 6.5 and 10T handcranes, (I thought both were carrying my conversion kits but apparently not.

Next pair 2x D&S 10T steam cranes (I have a third waiting to build, along with a GWR match truck from brassmasters)

Next no fewer than 4 Hornby Dublo 45/50t cranes with my detailing kit, a couple of which have now been sold, but replaced by ones with releving bogies.

Then a standard Triang Hornby 75T crane, and then at the back the same thing but re-jib'ed and converted to diesel with my resin castings.

Not pictured, a couple of Noniminstre Coles shunting cranes, a Plaser GPC and TJC both from my own kits, a Gordon Ashton Ransoms Rapier 45t or a much butchered kibri Gottwald impersonating a Kirow crane.

IMG_20190820_191902.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, jonhall said:

This is just my Cowans Sheldon collection.

Firground 6.5 and 10T handcranes, (I thought both were carrying my conversion kits but apparently not.

Next pair 2x D&S 10T steam cranes (I have a third waiting to build, along with a GWR match truck from brassmasters)

Next no fewer than 4 Hornby Dublo 45/50t cranes with my detailing kit, a couple of which have now been sold, but replaced by ones with releving bogies.

Then a standard Triang Hornby 75T crane, and then at the back the same thing but re-jib'ed and converted to diesel with my resin castings.

Not pictured, a couple of Noniminstre Coles shunting cranes, a Plaser GPC and TJC both from my own kits, a Gordon Ashton Ransoms Rapier 45t or a much butchered kibri Gottwald impersonating a Kirow crane.

IMG_20190820_191902.jpg

Hi Jon,

You've got it worse than me !

I have got one of the Hornby Dublo Cranes ready to be hacked about in the future once I have finished the current batch of cranes along with a fair number of DMU's and some AC electrics. I think I shall be building a new jib for it along with a jib runner along with other works that need to be attended to as I'm sure that you are aware of.

Do post more, perhaps feature your conversions for their interest value. I should like to see progress of the D&S 10 ton cranes.

Gibbo.

This maybe a "rule 1, it's your railway etc" answer but would the new Hattons 4 and 6 wheel coaches in the Red BR livery with Gorton markings be suitable for the Gorton/BR early livery Bachmann crane? I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of the prototype in a train somewhere but typically can't find it now. Cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

Good morning everyone

I see a selection of excellent crane models.

Clearly it's far easier to achieve realistic operations of a passenger train than realistic hands-off operations of a crane.

Has anybody here managed to motorise the moving parts and have their crane actually lift something? I can see many obstacles.

12 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

This maybe a "rule 1, it's your railway etc" answer but would the new Hattons 4 and 6 wheel coaches in the Red BR livery with Gorton markings be suitable for the Gorton/BR early livery Bachmann crane? I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of the prototype in a train somewhere but typically can't find it now. Cheers

I wonder how accurate the Hatton's red livery would be to go with a breakdown crane, I think black would be more appropriate to match the crane. By the time stuff was being painted red, most BDTs would have gone over to bogie vehicles. I would be quite happy to be proved wrong though. I know there were two ex-Midland six-wheel coaches at Dundee shed in the early 1960s but they looked as if they hadn't gone far for some time, they were a rather shabby black by that time. In the 80s or 90s there was another ex-Midland six-wheeler in olive green still in use as a staff and tool van for an engineers crane.

• Informative/Useful 3