• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cowans Sheldon General Purpose Crane DRC 81541 going up in Norwich Crown Point to get the powered bogie out to replace worn out clutch packs.

20150626200411_06.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 96701 said:

A few photos of Healey Mills 75t crane ADRC 96714 which I helped to fix on more than one occasion.

75t crane 1.jpg

75t Crane 2.jpg

75t Crane 3.jpg

Nice. Do you know when you took these, Phil?

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice. Do you know when you took these, Phil?

Best I can do is late seventies. The crane was built 1977, and I believe was new when delivered to Healey Mills, so it may well have been 78 when I took these.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Best I can do is late seventies. The crane was built 1977, and I believe was new when delivered to Healey Mills, so it may well have been 78 when I took these.

Thanks Phil. A bit before my time - you must be a lot older than I :rolleyes:. According to this photo caption it left HM within a few weeks of when I started at HO, which is probably why I don't remember seeing it there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/26584347397

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Phil. A bit before my time - you must be a lot older than I :rolleyes:. According to this photo caption it left HM within a few weeks of when I started at HO, which is probably why I don't remember seeing it there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/26584347397

Nearly correct on the commentary on Flickr. It was never allocated to Holbeck, that's where we took it when it needed repairing, there was nobody there to operate it, and no breakdown train.

Also today, I happen to feel older than most folk........

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 96701 said:

Nearly correct on the commentary on Flickr. It was never allocated to Holbeck, that's where we took it when it needed repairing, there was nobody there to operate it, and no breakdown train.

Also today, I happen to feel older than most folk........

I assume that's code to wish you a happy birthday.

Yes, when I was at Holbeck we only had the road vans and later the Bruff. Our last crane overhaul was one of the 76t conversions - can't remember whose - before all the crane work went to York, under Phil Lee as I recall.

All the best.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I assume that's code to wish you a happy birthday.

All the best.

Nope, birthday in Feb, just feeling a bit down yesterday due to bits on the railway not working and not feeling like scrabbling around under baseboards.

And the less said about Phil Lee, the better as far as I am concerned.

All the best right back at you.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/06/2020 at 10:23, montyburns56 said:

ADRF96405 according to Mr Bartlett

Manors 37195 c083

This thing looks like a Burro on stilts.   Unless the 37 isn't particularly tall for a locomotive, that crane has to be barely in gauge.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just come across this collection of dock photos. I haven't checked to see if it has been mentioned before. There is a huge variety of cranes in the album. 

Later I have just realized that this should have been in the Dockside cranes thread, but I am sure there are a few relevant or at least interesting shots in here for this thread's followers.

LOWESTOFT, Suffolk - Although never amongst the first rank of British commercial ports, Lowestoft was a thriving port for ships up to about 4000 tons right into the 1990's. Famed in the past its fishing fleet, this is now a shadow of its former self and commercial vessels have become infrequent callers, mainly to load grain. Traffic today consists mainly of small, offshore support vessels and survey ships. There is a small drydock mainly used by tugs and trawlers. The shipbuilders, Brooke Marine, builders of many luxury yachts, went out of business some years ago. Here we see the Dutch coaster ALGE (Groningen) of 414 tons loading mixed general cargo at the west end of the North Quay on June 24th, 1966. The quay is clogged with cargo because of the British merchant seamen's strike which lasted from May 15th to July 1st.

Edited by phil_sutters
Put in wrong thread!
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

Having built a working crane, €770 is extremely good value, especially for such a sophisticated model. Most impressed!

Hi Giles,

I would agree, the jib alone from my Cowans Sheldon LMS 30 ton crane took 18 hours to complete. I wouldn't want to pay commercial rate for just that not to mention building the rest of it.

I must get on and finish it.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I spent quite a bit of time modifying the Hornby Cowan Sheldon 76 ton crane, all the gearing, cable drums, derricking gear, pulleys, spreader bar, hoists, slew gear roller bearings all 37 of them, stabilizers and jacks were all made from brass.  I turned a lot of parts on my lathe which made it a little easier to do. The drawbars are made of plasticard and the jib runner was formerly an LMS van. My aim is to have the both hoists, jib and slew gear working on DCC, the stabilizers and jacks would have to be manually operated, the jacks do screw down using a very fine screwdriver.

20151123_202817.jpg

Edited by dmu 156
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

My own effort is far more modest than that just posted, the trusty Airfix/ Dapol Booth Rodley, with matching truck.

It's always seemed rather a shame to me that everyone dumps the kit bogies, so I haven't! My assumption is that BR ordered a couple for trials, and realised in the course thereof that a fixed wheelbase would be better. Mine is done using bits and bobs of transfers cobbled together from HMRS sheets, including the branding "Experimental". Rigging uses "easiline" thread, and the cab was made to be a push fit on the base to aid spray painting and glazing. I ought to fit an etched brass ladder at the back - there's always something still to do! I used fine chain and hooks on the buffer beams between the crane and match truck, and some pleasing turned brass buffers from an unknown source (A1?). The jib pivots to the body on an old steel axle, cut to length, which is stronger than the plastic part in the kit.

The match truck is IIRC a Mainline Macaw (now Hornby), duly carved and with all the cupboards made from Plasticard. The centre part on which the jib rests should be a bar across two side supports, mine erroneously is solid. I think I also did something to replace the moulded GW brake gear, perhaps with some ABS cast parts.

I do remember referring to some articles from long ago in "Model Rail", which had a nice shot of a match truck like this in Swindon Works yard.

John.

IMG_1124 copyRMweb.jpg

IMG_1125 copyRMweb.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
lots of typos
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, dmu 156 said:

I spent quite a bit of time modifying the Hornby Cowan Sheldon 76 ton crane, all the gearing, cable drums, derricking gear, pulleys, spreader bar, hoists, slew gear roller bearings all 37 of them, stabilizers and jacks were all made from brass.  I turned a lot of parts on my lathe which made it a little easier to do. The drawbars are made of plasticard and the jib runner was formerly an LMS van. My aim is to have the both hoists, jib and slew gear working on DCC, the stabilizers and jacks would have to be manually operated, the jacks do screw down using a very fine screwdriver.

20151123_202817.jpg

Hi There,

Cracking piece of work there with the Hornby crane, it certainly scrubs up well. Your conversion of the original couplings to the correct pattern Stokes bogie cantelever brackets makes a huge difference.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, I saw it as a challenge to make all the working parts and enjoyed the experience. I should be able to get it working on DCC in the future and display it working on either 'Dewsbury Midland'  or 'Barton Road'  both Manchester Model Railway Society layouts. I'm currently working towards a fully working container gantry crane for the 'Barton Road' layout which is based on containerisation from the beginning to the present day.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Great job of modifying the Hornby crane, DMU 156, and I am intrigued by your plans to motorise the mechanism.   
I guess that would require a level of craftsmanship far beyond mine...

I did a rough representation of the Cowans Sheldon crane and found it to be a challenging and fiddly project but with a very satisfying end result 

John

024E5B98-1070-4540-81F8-EFA30A029673.jpeg

DF4DFEB3-F149-4EC4-98B5-8453512B8978.jpeg

• Like 7