Hi all,

Some wonderful cranes have been built here. Unfortunately my talents are not up to the standards being modelled in this thread. So I just had to make do with restoring some old H/D Cowen cranes. The one with the grey roof has been restored to the original H/D spec and the other two I experimented with different chains. Plus on one I made the winding gear as it was missing

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0909.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0911.JPG

DSC_0912.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Some wonderful cranes have been built here. Unfortunately my talents are not up to the standards being modelled in this thread. So I just had to make do with restoring some old H/D Cowen cranes. The one with the grey roof has been restored to the original H/D spec and the other two I experimented with different chains. Plus on one I made the winding gear as it was missing

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0909.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0911.JPG

DSC_0912.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

In the days when we had Shows and Toyfairs, such "pre cherished" items could often be found bruised and battered in some box of bits. I don't know if yours started like that, but they've certainly scrubbed up well and look great - then HD knew how to make things that lasted!

Some other interesting stuff in your pics as well, I do like the Vampire.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Maybe it's just me, but the winding handles on the HD and some other cranes make it a toy crane rather than a model, no matter how good a representation of a full scale crane the bodywork may be.  It's probably illogical as I don't find RTR couplings grate anything like as much.

On 23/05/2021 at 11:49, John Tomlinson said:

In the days when we had Shows and Toyfairs, such "pre cherished" items could often be found bruised and battered in some box of bits. I don't know if yours started like that, but they've certainly scrubbed up well and look great - then HD knew how to make things that lasted!

Some other interesting stuff in your pics as well, I do like the Vampire.

John.

Hi John,

Yes they came in really poor condition. The usual. Missing of all their winding chains and hooks. One had no winding gear at all, All of the outrigger stabilizer legs were gone. Some of the wheels and couplings were gone. and the there was more metal  than paint showing.

Edited by cypherman
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Maybe it's just me, but the winding handles on the HD and some other cranes make it a toy crane rather than a model, no matter how good a representation of a full scale crane the bodywork may be.  It's probably illogical as I don't find RTR couplings grate anything like as much.

Hi Michael,

Yes it is a shame about the intrusive winding mechanisms. But you need to remember these were made to be played with. Even the new and very expensive Bachmann crane has manual winding gear. Until the day we can get small enough electric motors and electronics to fit into a crane this will be the only way. But in the long run these were really restorations of the cranes and not trying to be a scale model.

Edited by cypherman

14 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I know what you mean, but on the Hornby 4w Cowan Sheldon crane I resprayed many years back I was reluctant to remove the operating knobs completely so I cut them down by half, to make them less obvious. I figured that I could always remove them completely later on if I decided to make it non-functional.

I like this model so much that I'm just planning to get another one and spray it BR blue as ADW225, as seen and photographed at the Gloucester Rail Day on 1/7/90. Its match truck was a single bolster wagon, and I have a mint Tri-ang one to hand - the first individual wagon I ever purchased in 1966 to go with my RS24 'Nellie' freight set. It cost me three shillings and eleven pence - or in (50-year-old) 'new' money a whisker under 20p. Finally it would find a purpose!

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Currently I am stalled on the R&R 36 ton crane kit.

The original artwork for the mk 2 kit was hand drawn by Ted Holloway.

Over the years I have made improvements to the kit by having additional etched parts produced including a new chassis for the crane.

Unfortunately what I have not yet found is a way of turning a photo etch tool into a digital drawing so that the modifications can be included in a new tool. I was exploring a couple of avenues, but COVID got in the way. I may pick them up next year.

Gordon A

On 03/09/2022 at 16:12, Ian G said:

Was there ever a 4mm 36t Ransom & Rapier crane produced

Ian G

A small number of museum standard models were scratchbuilt on commission by the late maestro Stefan Lewis in 4mm. They were expensive but are outstanding. I have never seen one offered for resale.

Note also that the Ipswich crane maker was Ransomes & Rapier, no ransom was involved.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2022 at 10:55, Ian G said:

Gordon

Have you tried scanning the tool?

Ian G

Ian, yes, I was in the process of looking at scanning the photo tool with a friend before COVID. One of the problems was that the thickness of material that the photo tool was printed on caused accuracy problems. I need to look into this further.

Gordon

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

Does anyone know much about theses cranes ? It's a diesel crane used on the western region I believe. Does anyone make transfers for it ? Plus does anyone know when they started to appear yellow?

Kind regards Neil 

DSC_3178.JPG

Edited by B15nac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, B15nac said:

Hi

Does anyone know much about theses cranes ? It's a diesel crane used on the western region I believe. Does anyone make transfers for it ? Plus does anyone know when they started to appear yellow?

Kind regards Neil 

DSC_3178.JPG

Here's an old Model Rail article showing the same type on Dapol kit conversion as the above - the transfers will be mentioned in there somewhere.

Dapol Crane.pdf

3 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Here's an old Model Rail article showing the same type on Dapol kit conversion as the above - the transfers will be mentioned in there somewhere.

Dapol Crane.pdf 3.29 MB · 1 download

I, Cambridge Custom Transfers, produce transfers for the BR(WR) Booth (Rodley) cranes; see sheet BL92 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/transfers.htm

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi B15nac,

Dapol will sell you the transfers for the Booth Ridly crane. I have bought quite a few sets of transfers for various wagons and engines. They charged £1.75 per set plus p+p earlier this year when I bought some mineral wagon transfers from them

Here are their contact details.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/pages/contact

dapol crane.jpg

They will - but they are for the industrial version above, not the BR(WR) version.

CJI.

My option on the Booth Rodley was to build it per the kit, but label it as "Experimental" with some HMRS Pressfix transfers. The match truck I think was a short bolster with Mainline/ Bachmann origins, the boxes etc on top being scratch from bits of card.

Good old Rule 1 eh!!

John.

IMG_1125 copyRMweb.jpg

IMG_1124 copyRMweb.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2023 at 19:08, cctransuk said:

They will - but they are for the industrial version above, not the BR(WR) version.

CJI.

The WR Booth Rodleys were for use in PAD (Pre Assembled track Depots) as were the PWM series of diesel-electric shunting engines.  The idea, a very good one, was to have a self-propelled diesel-electric crane for work in the depot yards that could be hauled at a reasonable speed (35mph) to track relaying sites where the rail sections were unloaded from 'Salmon' wagons.  The PWM locos were also capable of being hauled to work sites in trains. 

I had a go at Radyr's Booth Rodley many years ago, using a Hornby FS 8-wheeled tender as the chassis; this fits the plastic kit main floor/underframe piece as if it were made for the purpose! 

19 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I had a go at Radyr's Booth Rodley many years ago, using a Hornby FS 8-wheeled tender as the chassis; this fits the plastic kit main floor/underframe piece as if it were made for the purpose! 

If you would like authentic axleboxes / springs, they were ex-MR tender fittings, supplied by BR.

Slaters can supply correct glass-filled nylon mouldings.

CJI.