Canal Side (turning my 2018 cakebox entry into a micro layout)

• RMweb Gold

You've gone and made an excellent model even better.  That canal boat deserves pride of place, it's really well detailed.

I suggest you just keep on extending this layout indefinitely, it can't go wrong :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Howl03 said:

The canal boat in the pictures is a Scalescenes kit I made about 4 years ago, I have used it on a few different layouts.

Wow!! I'm very impressed... Have only tried their free coal office and with fibrous grey-board it was tough going, did you use proper card?

Thanks
Ralf

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ralf said:

Wow!! I'm very impressed... Have only tried their free coal office and with fibrous grey-board it was tough going, did you use proper card?

Thanks
Ralf

Thank you Ralf, I use 1mm grey board that I get from a firm called Papercutz. https://papercutz.co.uk/greyboard-backing-board/greyboard/a4-greyboard-backing-card-600gsm-1000-micron they also do 2mm but I tend to only use 1mm. It makes it easier to cut. I would also recommend using a new blade for every kit. Hope that helps.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great views Paul. You have a knack of making the best of those Will's setts, and hiding the joins. Seeing your results I don't know why I bother with anything else, although as you say they are a pain to cut to shape.

On 19/12/2019 at 16:49, Howl03 said:

I place tracing paper on the track and copy the curves and use this as a template to cut the track. I just used 1mm card to get the sets up to rail level.

Can I ask how you avoid the chairs? On the cakebox entry you used plain track, but looking at the current build I think you used sleepered track (I don't suppose the card has anything to do with it?).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Great views Paul. You have a knack of making the best of those Will's setts, and hiding the joins. Seeing your results I don't know why I bother with anything else, although as you say they are a pain to cut to shape.

Can I ask how you avoid the chairs? On the cakebox entry you used plain track, but looking at the current build I think you used sleepered track (I don't suppose the card has anything to do with it?).

Thank You Mikkel, I used 1mm card to lift the sets to just about the right height, I also filed the edge where it meets the track. The plain track on the cake box was certainly a lot easier to do.

Regards Paul. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Great stuff Paul, the cottages look good, I like the way you've used the scalescenes kits and mixed them with plastic stuff, very nicely done. :)

Thank You Steve. The one thing I always like to change on Scalescenes kits is the roof tiles I just feel plastic looks a lot better.

Regards Paul. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Howl03 said:

I also filed the edge where it meets the track.

Thanks Paul, that's the part I was wondering about. Good to know that this is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not had much time for modelling, so just a little update. have added a street light in front of the hut.

IMG_2099.jpeg.98e2ac3f079f46374678b59181b2ede3.jpeg

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1