Manual point control OO gauge (Peco)

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of "Caboose Industries" (US) products - after some time spent googling this afternoon they seem to make a very tidy HO gauge manual point lever which interests me 

OR...………………..

Is there a quality UK made manual lever/control which works with Peco Streamline points???? 

I am not up for making something as I don't have the skills - so please could replies be confined (to start with) to manufactured items before we go off topic to things people have built :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Cheers 

J

DCC Concepts make point rodding kits which are intended to be fixed on top of the layout and look like the real thing. I have just bought the starter kit but haven't even opened the packet yet. I intend fitting it but it will be driven by my point motors. However, I believe it can be made to work with miniature levers, but this could be difficult. If you could do it successfully it would look great.

Robert

P.S. I used the bicycle spoke method on a previous layout and that is quite an easy way to do it. You need to file the end thinner for it to go through the hole in the point.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

Looking at what OP originally posted it appears they are actually mounted to the points? Are you only after something thats attached to the points or can it have rodding etc to operate it? 

51096b_45790b43102f4d9a999013d06038be10.

I suppose - both - to suit different situations, but it is the direct attachment that appeals - I want to avoid electrifying if possible as I can reach everything but I want something that looks ok and is made well but is a bit easier to operate manually than Pecos sliding mechanism with the "pip" on the end 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

There's a previous discussion about the Caboose Industries products here.  Seems to be a bit of a consensus towards using the N scale ones for HO - and therefore also OO?  Also includes info about the bicycle spoke approach, and others.

THANKS!!

I did search but couldn't find anything

I have now engaged with that topic and also made direct contact with the BITTER CREEK supplier as that looks a good  product

The "N gauge" tip is also a good one

Good stuff and much appreciated 

J

• Friendly/supportive 1

Unfortunately the Caboose product isnt similar to the points levers that were seemingly most used on BR and LT, which I believe to be known as a Williams. My solution here is to have a cosmetic representation above the board and use Peco traditional points motor bases underneath, connected by rod from the drive hole and using the slider to pull and push. On boards where this is not possible I use a bent metal spike tool as a 'portable points lever' and engage it in the centre hole to change points. Having worked on LT and engaged in a bit of shunting in depots there I find it more enjoyable to operate points in a 'hands on' way if representing manually operation.

Manualpointsover.jpg

Manualpointsunder.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, halsey said:

I did search but couldn't find anything

Just luck on my part really: that thread just came up fourth on the list when I did a Google search for "caboose industries" (without the quotes) when I read your first post.

FWIW I do find Google better for searching this forum than the forum's own search facility.  For example, searching for "caboose industries rmweb" (again, without the quotes) returns another two of three threads which mention that supplier.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2019 at 20:52, halsey said:

Just to complete this for now - these items can be bought in the UK ("Model Junction" in Slough) so I have bought a pack of 5 to try them out - I will report back

Just unpacked these (Caboose Industries 218s) - what a great little item with good springs - I've decided I'm going to electrify 50% (10 mainline points) due to reach/modelling issues and use these levers on the more accessible (9) goods sidings/loco yard points as they look fun in their own right and will add another dimension.

Thanks for all the advice

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to finalise this topic (from my perspective) - having been using them almost daily since my last post these are great little levers easy to use VERY easy to fit and they certainly add something to the experience - highly recommended.