Birkenhead Hamilton Square (Planning stage begins)

508EMU

So, planning begins on something a bit different but has a lot of potential - a longer term project due to costs and size, and Mrs probably wont be too happy with the bill (!)

I'm based on the Wirral, and growing up in the 90s spent a lot of time travelling around with parents  on the Merseyrail network. A common place we would wait a while for a connecting train was Hamilton Square, connecting from a Chester/Ellesmere Port train then changing to the lower platform 3 for West Kirby trains. I have developed a love for the Network, the stations and the class 507/8 rolling stock, but never had any means to replicate any of it mainly due to the lack of stock on the market. Recently a 3d printed class 507/8 kit has appeared on ebay (see my blog posts) so now I have a train in the works and nowhere suitable to run it given my other layout is a small 8ft TMD designed for class 37s.

I have always wanted to model an underground station, something which had slipped my mind until I stumbled upon Rich Pappers excellent 'Oxford Road' layout while reading through this forum, which got me thinking.

The intention is to build a rough model of Hamilton Square set in the 90s, with the British Rail brown panelling and class 507/8s running around in a mix of BR Blue and the Merseyrail Regional Railways yellow liveries. Also in the long run the class 501 and 73 sandite unit which could often be seen lurking around the network.

Hamilton Square is one of the original Mersey Railway deep level underground stations, and has 2 platforms linked via a footbridge. In the 70s, a 3rd platform was built on a slightly lower level to allow West Kirby and New Brighton bound trains to pass in a new tunnel under the Chester and Ellesmere Port lines rather than having to cross via points, designed in the same style as the 70s Liverpool "Loop and link" line stations.

So, what are the plans - In the same method done on 'Oxford Road', platform 3 will be at the forefront of the layout in a cross section style view - this gives me somewhere to run the 508 I am currently working on for the timebeing. The plan is to then add platforms 1 and 2 in at a later date, at a higher level (say 10-20cm above for now).

The main idea is that all the platform walls can be removed so the station can be viewed from various angles. For example platform 2s wall can be removed so both 3 and 1 are on view from the front, however platform 1s walls will also be removeable so it can be seen from the back meaning the wall on 3 (the normal fron viewing cross section) can be fitted meaning it is completely closed in, so platform  3 would then only be visible looking down the stairs from 2 just like in reality - bringing back many memories when the 507/8 class are finally withdrawn in the next 2 years or so.

Very early plans drawn up in Anyrail are attached, subject to quite a bit of tweaking as it has just been guesswork so far. To do it roughly to scale would mean about 18ft width which is a potential problem , so I'm looking to shorten it so platforms are 3car length rather than 6. I am also going to add some extra space on to the rear to make the curves on my plan less sharp. Also not sorted the width between the tracks on platforms1/2 yet, so thats next on the list.

There is of course scope to build the station building and surrounding town scene on the top of the layout - say 1foot or so above track level. Not overly realistic as its a deep level station, and as mentioned if platforms are shortened its not going to be spot one , but gives a good feel. Certainly lots of potential, lots of challenges, and hopefully at long last somewhere to run a 508 that gives a proper feel of the network - now where can I bottle up the smell of the stations into airwick wall plugs??

I look forward to any views people may have.

79194111_584388862371479_2508995799833116672_n.jpg

79493716_588670311704833_6538091722423926784_n.jpg

Edited by 508EMU
  • Like 7

I'm extremely excited to see this develop. Cutaway tube stations - when done with a bit of care - can look great but don't need much work. 

I model in N and am currently using 3d printed stock, and one thing I do now appreciate is the need for coach lighting and headlights on the trains. We have a high spec 313 unit coming in the next few years, but for now, I'm having to educate myself on how to do head and tail lights without DCC.

Here's a couple of shots of a former and current cutaway station

post-15788-0-13661300-1516367025_thumb.jpg

79406308_10157889080936613_2680113322744872960_o.jpg

• Like 2

It’ll be really interesting to see this develop - I like models of deep level tube stations and it’s also interesting (and unusual) to see someone doing a non-London Underground one. I’ve only been on Merseyrail once and very briefly, but it was on the underground loop section and it reminded me of the deep-level line to Moorgate (in its current mainline-connected form), with its similar PEP-derived units as well.

• Like 2