Very confused about modern boxes

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m trying to recreate a typical Intermodal train as seen in Peterborough and east of England area since 2018 and I have to say I’m more than a little perplexed as to what boxes would go on what wagons.  Can anything be put in a pocket wagon or solely high cubes?  That the same for “Megafret’s”?

I’ve looked a C-Rails container range and can I ask, are they models of the most modern boxes or are they of all eras?  I’ve taken pictures of boxes on wagons when at Peterborough station but I’m still a little lost.  Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers as I want to get the train looking right instead of being picked up by someone who tells me that certain boxes fell out of favour years ago.  I hope that all makes sense?

Edited by jools1959

C-rail do a mix of older and newer containers. For 2018 you'll mostly want 'corrugated' containers (wavey side ridges) rather than the older 'ribbed' (squared-off side ridges). Taking pictures of what you see at Peterborough is a good start to getting the right look, check YouTube as well for videos from your chosen era. It's been a while since I've looked but I imagine there's still a lot of different flows heading that way from Felixstow operated by a mix of FL, DBS, GBRF, etc, and they'll have different container companies and wagon types depending on the destination involved. Not all routes require high-cubes to be in pocket wagons or on low-liners anymore, it depends on gauge clearance for where it's heading. Pairs of 20ft standard height containers can be seen in pocket wagons, but be a bit more careful with potential weight restrictions on FLA flats (C-rail) if using those too. Assuming gauge clearance is ok, Megafrets can carry anything too including 45ft boxes depending on what your flow is.

HTH

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

A lot depends on exactly what you want to model and what company. I've seen Freightliner trains run out of Felixstowe that are mainly Maersk boxes with a few brown lease boxes ( Triton, TAL, Tex, Gold. etc). Other trains have a right royal mix of both containers and wagons. Some trains are mainly for example FEA spine wagons with a couple of KTA's and KFA's thrown in, having said that I haven't seen as many KTA pocket wagons there as there are in Southampton. Other trains have several different types of wagon in the consist. 

Youtube could well be of help to you, just look up "Felixstowe container trains"

Pete

Edited by Stormbringer
additional info
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2019 at 02:40, jools1959 said:

I’m trying to recreate a typical Intermodal train as seen in Peterborough and east of England area since 2018 and I have to say I’m more than a little perplexed as to what boxes would go on what wagons.  Can anything be put in a pocket wagon or solely high cubes?  That the same for “Megafret’s”?

I’ve looked a C-Rails container range and can I ask, are they models of the most modern boxes or are they of all eras?  I’ve taken pictures of boxes on wagons when at Peterborough station but I’m still a little lost.  Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers as I want to get the train looking right instead of being picked up by someone who tells me that certain boxes fell out of favour years ago.  I hope that all makes sense?

You tube is your friend Jules,just put in peterbourgh freight 2018 and spend your time looking at what was running through then,theres lots been and still filming the sceen now so the portfolios are good for this,heres June so your not shivering as you watch....

• Thanks 1

A lot is to do with the route a train takes and which containers can sit on a given wagon and still be in gauge!

Different destinations produce different wagons and container mixes.

Lowliners can carry High Cubes (9’6”) in W8 gauge but the same container on a Megafret may require restrictions on route and speed at certain locations as the platform is 100mm higher!

A normal height platform on traditional container flats would be W10 gauge and only passable on certain routes when loaded with high cubes.

• Informative/Useful 1