Help with Hornby gears.

Hello. 

i need a gear for a Hornby j94. Part number x8264. A double gear.  But everywhere online is out of stock. 

however can anyone confirm if part number  x8251 will fit? This is off a Hornby terrier and I have been told they are the same, and they certainly look the same. 

any help would be great. 

• 4 months later...

Hi

The answer as always is yes and no, my son's J94 just chewed the idler gear. So prompted by your post I got the Terrier gear from Peters Spares to have a go, at £1.58 plus p&p I thought it was worth a punt. The gears are the same however the Terrier gear runs freely on the stub axle but the J94 is a tight fit , the stub axle with the terrier gear is also a smaller diameter so does not fit the J94 bearings. Having said that as the two gears are identical I pushed the old gear of the stub axle and pushed the new terrier gear on and presto everything works. So there is hope.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Any  sign of what caused the failure, has the keeper plate holding the axle come loose and dropped or has the motor mount come loose?  In my experience once the gears come out of mesh they strip very quickly whereas when kept in alignment and lubed they last a long time.   Not a long time by Hornby Dublo 1950 standards maybe...