BR SR to Caterham Surrey

Andy Reichert

• RMweb Gold

Kevin has it right, of course. Tyhe service from Charing Cross, which transferred over to Central metals via the Tattenham Crossovers south of London Bridge, was typically formed of 4+2 EPB, splitting at Purley, the front 4 EPB forming the Caterham portion, while the 2 EPB carried on up to Tattenham Corner, named after the turn on the Derby racecourse.

In the rush hour, access to Charing Cross was simply not available, due to the intense service on the South Eastern, so the Cat/Tatt services terminated at London Bridge (Central). They would then be typically formed of 4+4+2 EPB, still with the front 4 for Caterham. All units were maintained at Selhurst Depot, but in those days berthing at hole-in-the-wall locations was the norm, so both Caterham and Tattenham had units berthed, rather than returning to Selhurst.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

One of the signalmen in that era was Harry Barraclough, who was not from the South East.

Peter and Mark Barraclough, Mark also being a local railwayman,  were my extended family brothers-in law. I believe they were Harry's sons.

Andy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the days of 3-SUBs, rush hour services were worked by three units (ie 9 cars) with one unit going to Caterham and the other two to Tattenham Corner.  When the 3-SUBs were made up to 4-SUBs, the rush hour (and, indeed, off-peak) services were formed of two units with one unit going to each branch. This caused overcrowding problems on the Tattenham Corner branch, so, once sufficient 2-EPBs had been delivered in the mid-1950s, the service was an early priority for conversion to EPB working with, as has been said, one 4-EPB going to Caterham and 2+4-EPB going to Tattenham Corner, thus restoring 6 car rush hour trains to that branch. On Epsom race days, the whole train normally worked to Tattenham Corner, even though most of the branch stations other than the terminus couldn't platform more than 6 cars, with a 4-EPB connecting shuttle between Purley and Caterham.

• 1 month later...

I managed to get hold of some Bachmann 2-EPB units. I'd also like to create a 4-EPB formation. Can anyone advise if it is possible to just expand a 2-EPB by adding a couple of BR standard suburban coaches in the middle? 

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think that "not without a lot of work" is the answer to that.  The 4EPB had a DMBSO at each end whereas the 2EPB was a DMBSO + a DTSO.

I'm just on with a 4EPB using Replica bits in a cut'n'shut job.  Detailing parts from MJT.  Plenty of good advice from a couple if guys on here.

Vernon

Edited by Doncaster
Speeling

10 years later than your period but may be of interest - 2EPB 5652 arriving at Caterham on 4 Sep 1976 on the 13.20 ex Charing Cross.  Most other photos I took at Caterham station then were of buildings rather than trains.

caterham-76-1.jpg

Edited by Tom Burnham
  • Like 2