Class 3F Jinty Liveries

Hi, 

I've recently purchased a Hornby Jinty, and I'm going to repaint it as an industrial loco. I've done some google research, and I've seen the Crigglestone one by Paul Lunn, and the W.Pepper & Sons that Bachmann have done, but are there any other well known industrial liveries that I could use. My microlayout is set in the Manchester area if that helps.

Thanks,

Rob

• RMweb Gold

There are some various pictures available of 47445, here's one. Tanks & bunker are orange, footplate valance & coupling rods are red, although the rods look mostly black in photos.

47445 at Crigglestone Coal Sidings

The Bachmann model is a standard Jinty repainted. 47445 has a few subtle differences. Some boiler fittings, coal rails and handrails have been removed and a sandbox (painted blue) added. The sandbox looks like a Peckett type.   I should think the coal rails were removed to aid hand coaling as the loco was only doing short trips in industrial service.  I'm building 47445 in 2mm scale for my British Oak mini-layout.

There's a short but interesting film on Youtube

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 5

Thanks for posting that, I've not seen it.  It's all a lot different around there now.  I walked the line down to the staithe before it was lifted and, if you were a collector of bullhead chairs, you would have had a field day!  There were all sorts of pre-group ones, obviously obtained many years before, but no chance of getting them at the time sadly.

I believe this was the only Jinty sold into industrial use so nowhere near typical for an industrial layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking through some of my old issues of Bylines and in the June/July 1996 issue is a feature on Willamthorpe colliery, near Chesterfield. It appears that in the 1960s the motive power was provided by BR in the form of 3F Jinties that were crewed by NCB men and not only worked the trains for the main line but also internal movements.

Unfortunately they all appear to have retained BR livery and were only hired from BR but they do look to be in an unusually scfuffy condition and with buckets, sheets and oil cans all over the running plate, as often seen in industry but not on BR. One was also running without the BR number plate on the smokebox door. They were 47383, 47629, 47313 and 47289.

@2mmMark Thanks for posting the video. I often walk my dog on part of the trackbed there and, as 5050 says, you'd hardly recognise it now. I remember seeing the railway there working but it was in its final days and with a Hunslet 0-6-0DH but by then the traffic was only into and out of the BR exchange sidings. The line to the Navigation was out of use, so I never saw that part used and I always wondered how the wagons were shunted onto and off the staithe. Now I know that they ran back by gravity! How are you doing that on your layout?

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have been looking through some of my old issues of Bylines and in the June/July 1996 issue is a feature on Willamthorpe colliery, near Chesterfield. It appears that in the 1960s the motive power was provided by BR in the form of 3F Jinties that were crewed by NCB men and not only worked the trains for the main line but also internal movements.

Unfortunately they all appear to have retained BR livery and were only hired from BR but they do look to be in an unusually scfuffy condition and with buckets, sheets and oil cans all over the running plate, as often seen in industry but not on BR. One was also running without the BR number plate on the smokebox door. They were 47383, 47629, 47313 and 47289.

@2mmMark Thanks for posting the video. I often walk my dog on part of the trackbed there and, as 5050 says, you'd hardly recognise it now. I remember seeing the railway there working but it was in its final days and with a Hunslet 0-6-0DH but by then the traffic was only into and out of the BR exchange sidings. The line to the Navigation was out of use, so I never saw that part used and I always wondered how the wagons were shunted onto and off the staithe. Now I know that they ran back by gravity! How are you doing that on your layout?

The answer to the gravity shunt question is that I'm not going there.   The physics in 2mm scale don't really permit anything realistic. It's all done by loco haulage.  I slipped an extra siding into the plan to  make it easy to shuffle the wagons around.  It's not a layout with immense operational interest, more a demonstration piece for 2mm finescale.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm a bit late to this topic as only just started to re-visit the forum since being in coronavirus lockdown and having a bit more time available...

I'm pleased to say that Bachmann used one of my photos of 47445 at Pepper's Yard in order to get the livery right and for publicity - I received a free model in return - thanks!

Below are a few photos now on my site - unfortunately, I never managed to get to the staithe by the canal so only ever saw that happening from a distance:

GMP_Slide3296_47445_BritishOak_010668-L. 

GMP_Slide3297_47445_BritishOak_010668-L.

The engine having come to grief in March 1969:

GMP_Slide3607_47445_BritishOak_xx0369-L.

GMP_Slide3611_47445_BritishOak_xx0369-L.

Images are "clickable" to take you to larger pictures on my site with full captions. At the moment, the three lower pictures are in my "New Additions!" gallery so the above links will only work as long as they are there - they will be moved to the dedicated Industrials gallery after a short time - I will try to remember to update the links when they get moved!

Williamthorpe Colliery is also mentioned above - here's a shot of 47289 at the colliery in July 1967:

GMP_Slide2849_47289_WilliamthorpeCollier

There was also a J94 0-6-0ST working there at the time - No. 68012 in immaculate paintwork - this loco having been moved from the Cromford & High Peak line after closure.

Hope that's of some interest!

Regards, Geoff

Edited by Dampflok
To correct the loco number!
  • Like 7

When faced with what to do to private industrialised jinty's I did a similar colour scheme to the orange one in the pictures above.

To hide the LMS identity I painted the sides green and the roof and bunker red oxide and put the owning companies name on the side with transfers.

jintyprivateindustry.jpg.339e9f9dc7178be0f8de460f90aa674b.jpg

Bachmann jinty shunts at Umbridge.

I used to have a copy of Mainline to Industry by Frank Jones ( Lightmoor Press ). A photo album, I can't remember if there were any jintys or what the colours were as it is black and white. Most of the locos seemed well covered in grime.

• 2 months later...

Are you sure that you mean the "clack valve"?  On Jinties the clacks were on the backhead (combined with the injector steam valves).  I think you might be referring to the vacuum brake ejector which was on the RHS of the boiler/smokebox and was probably removed when 47445 went into industrial service - being unlikely to work vacuum fitted stock in its new role.

Ray.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/06/2020 at 16:54, Marshall5 said:

Are you sure that you mean the "clack valve"?  On Jinties the clacks were on the backhead (combined with the injector steam valves).  I think you might be referring to the vacuum brake ejector which was on the RHS of the boiler/smokebox and was probably removed when 47445 went into industrial service - being unlikely to work vacuum fitted stock in its new role.

Ray.

Oh so that's what that is... When looking for a quick replacement that's what they popped up as on the usual auction site. I've decided to leave it on for now, but it should be fairly easy to snap off if I change my mind.

• RMweb Gold

That extra sandbox looks very much like the late model Avonside one used in the kit that Adam designed. If anyone wants one let me know and I'm sure we can print a couple.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Corbs said:

That extra sandbox looks very much like the late model Avonside one used in the kit that Adam designed. If anyone wants one let me know and I'm sure we can print a couple.

I'd have to agree the extra sandbox on 47445 looks very similar to the square avonside design

image.png.0f0e0f7945eeb4be3cc16204b15c59c1.png

As Corbs mentioned, I've been modelling an avonside for 3D printing including these sandboxes if there's interest I can probably make some extras. The base is a little chunky so it can be sanded back to remove any support material marks

image.png.f1045578a3b64f9c5223e6e8b5661032.png