So I decided to build my own tram mechanism.....

Red Devil

I have several layout builds still ongoing any tram related bits I decided I was going dead rail/lipo battery/radio control for the drives....

So I wanted something compact and low profile....

A few bits of brass, some Nigel Lawton bits and and an 8ft 6in MJT bogie etch and this is where we currently are...

Nothing new, but thought it might be of interest, EM gauge for my Sheffield Grimeside build.

Only half done but yep it runs

P1090661 (2).JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Doesn't need ball bearings it's fine as is,  it is shown the right way , bearings are fitted in the correct position for me, it allows the fitment of a cast truckside which doesn't show the etched frame, no springing doesn't need it for my usage. Bearing holes aren't oval, they're a figure of 8 to allow cosmetic sides in the correct position in their intended use, I've  adapted it to suit me. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok we have something running.....

I spotted some £3 6mm motors with a planetary gearbox so thought I'd give those a whirl.....

It's alive.......

Running at full speed on only one axle drive (some imbecile, ahem, lost one of the required pulleys)

The planetary gearboxes on these little motors gives an amazing amount of torque, really surprised me how much...

Yep..definitely worth continuing with, this has given me a whole host of ideas on how to solve a couple of niggles, 'production' versions will be neater/quicker/better....

Rubbish video,sorry, but it shows how it works.....

P1090684 (1).JPG

P1090680.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Really is looking good Mark.  You'll have to post some pics of the Grimeside tramway track when you have time .... from the brief glimpses I keep seeing, its looking good!

Rich

11 hours ago, wagonbasher said:

Hi.  Where can I get the motorbgearbox combo.  Do you know what the ratio is.

andy

Ebay , loads of sellers, this one is 1:26, then in my build it has two further reductions, there are some with a greater reduction to set off with but they are longer so possibly a bit wide for 4mm in this style of application

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3V-Micro-6mm-Planetary-Gear-Reducer-Motor-Mini-Coreless-Gearbox-Motor-1200RPM/323829018023?hash=item4b65b6ada7:g:BgEAAOSwTAxc4qP5

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Whilst I was messing about with the geared 6mm motor I thought I'd try a Faller Car System version....

So an Oxford Austin van was hacked about and a test belt drive system fitted....I shoved the OD wheels on to give an idea of RPM at 1.5v.....

So seemed okay and the rest is proceeding, Wiking Control wheels (Faller sizes way out). Pattern Faller axle and we're getting closer....

88339910_236344414072172_6344114558201757696_n.jpg

87495394_2266163990350469_4846243313562419200_n (1).jpg

• Like 5