Spring Lane Sidings

Georgie!!

Hello all,

After having a couple of weeks off from railway modelling I have finally drawn up more plans for a new layout.

The plan is simple and small, the layout will only be 4ft and half long by 1ft and half wide.

The layout will be more based on storage sidings for such as my class 66s to be stabled and have there photo taken. There will be however and inspection siding for the locos where locos can refuel and have light maintenance like sand boxes refilled, oil levels checked, headlights ect.

Scenery will be pretty much basic, just a road bridge that Im thinking of adding to hide the fiddle yard. There will aslo be portacabins and other little buildings around the inspection sidings for the trackworkers and train repair crew.

The layout is modern image but anything goes to add intrest, just no steam locos. The layout will be operated via DCC so lights and sound will be added. At the back of the layout there will be a embankment, and sat ontop of the embankment will be some warehouse backs to try and help create that industrial feel to the layout. The baseboards will be made for the layout to be portable so that (fingers crossed) photos can be taken out in the summer sun.

The baseboards have been built as Im recycling the baseboards from Jessop Yard, but just adding an extra 1ft and half to the end.

I shall post the trackplan later on as Im still playing around with it and changing bits here and there.

Regards

Georgie

Hiya all,

Below is the trackplan. On the front of the layout where its white it will be overgrown with grass and weeds, possibly a tree or two, depends on space and possibly another footpath for the spotters, oh and security fencing.

Around 8 locos will be able to be stabled and there will still be enough room for locos to move around

post-6787-127359348566_thumb.jpg

Regards

Georgie

Hi Georgie,

Looks to be a nice simple plan to be cracking on with. :) The only thing I will say is that I've just had a little play around with plan on AnyRail. I used large radius Peco turnouts (I don't know if your using anything different), but your 2-road inspection sidings may not be feasible in the space you have. May I suggest just a single line for this purpose.?

Regards,

Sam. B)

Hi Georgie,

Looks to be a nice simple plan to be cracking on with. smile.gif The only thing I will say is that I've just had a little play around with plan on AnyRail. I used large radius Peco turnouts (I don't know if your using anything different), but your 2-road inspection sidings may not be feasible in the space you have. May I suggest just a single line for this purpose.?

Regards,

Sam. cool.gif

Hello there Sam,

Thanks for the comment, I am going to be using the peco medium radius points and I discovered last night that there is only space for one line instead of two. Two will fit, but it would be an extremely tight fit.

Thanks again Sam, help much appreciated

Regards

Georgie

Evening all,

Had a good afternoon today I think today on the layout, below is a little list of whats been done:

Firstly - managed to get track layed

Secondly - got track wired

Thirdly - track ballast down just needs PVA and water to do the rest

Hopefully at the weekend I shall start on the embankment, and start on the base layer for the front of the layout.

Im still waiting for me wood to be cut, then I can add the extra 1ft and half to make the total length of 4.5ft.

Below are some photos of the layout with track down and ballast waiting for PVA/water mix:

post-6787-12736870572_thumb.jpg

post-6787-127368707704_thumb.jpg

Regards

Georgie

Hello there Sam,

Thanks for the comment, I am going to be using the peco medium radius points and I discovered last night that there is only space for one line instead of two. Two will fit, but it would be an extremely tight fit.

Thanks again Sam, help much appreciated

Regards

Georgie

Hi Georgie,

It's no problem. I think the one line will be a little more pleasing to the eye. Not so much track in the space etc., etc.. :)

Good luck with the layout. I'll be keeping an eye out. B)

Hi Georgie,

It's no problem. I think the one line will be a little more pleasing to the eye. Not so much track in the space etc., etc.. smile.gif

Good luck with the layout. I'll be keeping an eye out. cool.gif

Hiya Sam,

I agree, one line will be much better, plus I have more room to focus on detial such as the fueling point, portacabins and general clutter.

Im thinking of also adding an inspection pit? But Im a bit unsure as I never have success installing them!

Here are some layouts with Inspection siding that Im sort of wanting to create:

http://norwoodpark.webs.com/pictures4.htm

http://www.dyserth-road.co.uk/

Im hoping to get some more work done to the layout tonight, hopefully, photos later biggrin.gif

Regards

Georgie

Hello all,

The embankment is well underway, only one more piece to fit and paint then the first layer of grass can placed. Cable trunking and AWS boxes are being placed around the sidings too. Weeds are also appearing amongst the track, exspecially between the lines where nobody goes!

Im going to add a little building for the loco drivers. It will be just a little waiting room whilst there loco waits in the sidings until its turn in the inspection siding.

Along the front of the layout is going to be mainly grass with a footpath, aswell as security fencing, trees, and other stuff unsure.gif

Currently on the drawing board is the road bridge. I have most of the pieces needed to create the bridge and an idea on how to build, shouldnt be too hard really huh.gif

Below is a photo of todays work:

post-6787-127377414018_thumb.jpg

The PVA bottle and plastic cup on the right are just holding the card down whilst it dries.

Regards

Georgie

Hello all,

The embankments are well underway, just one more bit to add, paint and add grass and then the basic part of the embankment is completed!

The area for the loco drivers waiting room is also completed, possibly a coat of grey may be needed but it looks ok for now. In this little area Im going to be adding the little building, some trackside clutter like pallets, a couple of oil drums, and a container.

Over the weekend I will be working on the layout. first I shall finish the embankment then start on the scenics along the front of the layout. Still fingers crossed as everything seems to be going rather well, so far..

Some photos below of the embankment and of the area where the little building will be placed, forgot to say, the building will be fitted with lights too.

post-6787-127385125556_thumb.jpg

post-6787-127385129223_thumb.jpg

post-6787-127385130945_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Georgie

• RMweb Gold

Hello Georgie,

Looks great from what I can see, what did you use for the embankments, it looks nice.

The only thing I'm worried about is the track work in your post yesterday - the line coming off the point nearest to the bottle of PVA looks a bit skewed at the join. Just thought I'd bring that up in case you hadn't noticed it - I know I've had that on Calshot and it's caused all sorts of problems over the year.

Might also be worth checking you haven't got any stray ballast in the points as I can see a few bits where they shouldn't. Otherwise it certainly looks a good start, nice effort!

Jam smile.gif

Hiya Jam,

Thanks, The embankments where made from little pieces of newspaper rolled into a ball then a piece of card glued ontop to make a more even slope, next time I think I shall use plaster cloth, dont know why I didnt for this really blink.gif

Yup, I know about that bit of track, I needed to make a little curve otherwise there would be not enough room to fit the backscene to hide the fiddle yard wink.gif I tested the track with a 66, and it did run normal over the join.

When I get round to it I shall give all the track and points a good clean as they do need a bit of TLC wink.gif

Thanks again Jam,

Regards,

Georgie

• RMweb Gold

Hello Georgie,

I actually meant what did you use for the grass - sorry should've made myself clearer (if you haven't mentioned it before).

You can also use builders insulation (polystyrene) or similar for getting the embankment shape (If you do, I'd advise you hoover as you go along!) - you can shape it how you want it and then put a plaster cloth over it pressing into the shape of the polystyrene which will give you a varied and textured surface.

As long as you have tested it with all the stock that may run on that bit of track it should be fine. After a bit of TLC and cleaning the track work should look super wink.gif

Looking forward to more,

Jam smile.gif

Morning all,

Not much has been done on the layout, I have been a bit busy somewhere else wink.gif

I did however manage a couple of hours of work on the layout last night and managed to finish a bit off this morning. The grass along the front of the layout is now stuck down and growing, more weeds and trees yet to be added. Security fencing has also been installed. Im going to finish the security fencing off today and glue the little office in place and, will have to see if there is any spare time, perhaps start on the road bridge. I have got a plan in my head of how I want the bridge to look, must put it onto paper and make a proper drawing with all the correct diemensions to see if it will actually be buildable!

The embankments has also been completed just some weeds and little bushes to be added and the embankments will be scenically finished!

Below are photos of the current state of the layout:

post-6787-127417411003_thumb.jpg

An overall shot of the layout (above)

Below, a shot of the far end of the layout by the buffer stops. On the left where all grass is Im planning on adding a few trees and some big bushes wink.gif

post-6787-127417433382_thumb.jpg

Below, a shot looking across the whole layout, security fencing will soon be completed wink.gif

post-6787-127417441882_thumb.jpg

Im also going to give the track a good clean and perhaps have a play with me Sound class 66 biggrin.gif

Regards

Georgie

Hello all,

Had a very busy afternoon with the layout today, and I plan to have a busy evening too

The grass has had more colour thrown together now, but Im really unsure of how it looks? Its growing on me now, but I dont know? (Photos below)

Im also going to have a go at building me own trees, and one is well underway just another five or six to do!

Im still drawing up plans on the road bridge, fingers crossed that will go to plan.

Hopefully tonight a couple of locos may be paying a visit, but we shall have to see wink.gif

Photos below are of the greeb bushes added and in the distance the trees:

post-6787-127419669514_thumb.jpg

post-6787-127419671763_thumb.jpg

Im 50/50 on the grass not too sure if its over the top? But it is supossed to be wild and overgrown and flowers are yet to be added too wink.gif

Regards

Georgie

Hia Georgie,

All looking green and fieldy there fela its nice to have scenics next to the track i prefer this rather than industrial areas maybe because i'm a peak forrest fan :rolleyes: anyway get them points cleaned up :P and keep up the good work buddy ;)

Cheers, Jon.

HI

Love the work you have done so far, but one thing I did notice was the track coming off the point, I think you my end up with some derailments here.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

That's coming along nicely :)

I think the grass looks really good. Well done.

Oh, by the way, somebody mentioned that you can use polystyrene and plaster to make your scenery. If you have a look in my layout topic, Smugglers Lane, you can get an idea about how it's done. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Hello all,

Thanks for all the kind comments, keeps me going biggrin.gif

Hiya Jon, thanks, the track is all wired up, just need to give all the tracks a good clean and hopefully locos will be around for photos wink.gif

Hiya Darren, thanks, the track at the moment is ok the class 66 doesnt seem to be bothered about. There may be a couple of problems maybe when the other board gets added but for now it seems to be ok

Hiya Vac Basher, thanks for the tip I shall try and remember for next time wink.gif Oh, and keep up the good work on Smugglers Lane Its a great layout!

Regards

Georgie

Archived