LNER Class F4/F5 2-4-2

Re6/6

6 minutes ago, benachie said:

There was a Stephen Poole kit but the dimensions were not quite right...

If the E4 and the J15 from the same source are any guide, there will be a fair amount of 'not quite right'. After the relative gentility of various kits from BEC, Wills, GEM - and even the K's J50 - the agricultural aspect of the Stephen Poole product was something of a surprise. Deployment of copious swearing, cutting, filler and DIY replacement parts produced good running results: but it felt like snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. (It was only the prototypes looking so pretty that kept me going.)

I have a Stephen Poole kit of this locomotive. I used the Stephen Poole wheels and chassis kit too. When the body is placed on the chassis, the coupling rods hit the footplate. Not insurmountable but a fiddle to put right. This explains why the kit has never been finished even though I've had it for years. I have a scale drawing from the G.E.R. Society so I'll make a point of checking the dimensions.

• RMweb Premium

I take it you are talking about 4mm. Jim McGeown at Connoisseur models does both an F3 and a F5/F6 in 7mm. Oh and a F7 (crystal palace tank). Built one of the latter back in the day along with a fair few of Jim's other kits, locos/wagons, J70/J68/J15/G5/4F etc. As always just go together. Pity others aren't as good. I'm sure some have been produced in 4mm in the past but not which ones.

Izzy