Imported US Built Locomotives

TrainzBrainz23

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

That's Bognor, you can tell by the palm trees.

Seriously though, thanks for that link, some good photos there.

I was looking for Lynne's stepfather's horsebox in the background; he spent most of WW2 in Palestine, as it was then, driving the Army vet around. Most of the horses were in fact polo ponies...

• RMweb Gold

There were, of course, a few locos purchased from America in the very early years of the 20th century — the Midland purchased some Baldwin 2-6-0s and I think the GNR may have done the same. At the time they were concerned that British manufacturers were not making locos in the volume they required.

The locos were all scrapped after short lives and the experiment was not repeated until comparatively recent times.

My father was in Palestine 1946-48 (kneecap blown-off by an IED planted by zionist terrorists; demoted for refusing, along with his entire unit, to fire on unarmed civilians who were protesting about being displaced from their homes), then back out in the desert monitoring arab league forces, then to the embassy at Cairo where he worked until c1952, all with "signals". His knee was repaired by an ex-german army surgeon, by then with red cross, with whom he exchanged christmas cards every year until he died.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

There were, of course, a few locos purchased from America in the very early years of the 20th century — the Midland purchased some Baldwin 2-6-0s and I think the GNR may have done the same. At the time they were concerned that British manufacturers were not making locos in the volume they required.

The locos were all scrapped after short lives and the experiment was not repeated until comparatively recent times.

The Midland had thirty Baldwin moguls and ten from Schenectady; I'm not sure how many the Great Northern and the Great Central had. There was a major engineering strike at a time when the railway companies were placing large orders in response to a boom in traffic in the closing years of the 1890s. 

Don't forget also the L&B's Baldwin 2-4-2T Lyn bought about the same time as Baldwin could promise prompt delivery on a locomotive built from standard parts. Does the modern Lyn count as the only Baldwin designed and built in Britain?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Isn't that loco a genuine Baldwin, with minor cosmetic alterations to make it look "Maine"? Or, maybe we're talking about different locos.

The BMR has two locos, one is a 4-6-2 from a cement mill in South Africa, and the other is a 2-6-2 rebuilt from a 2-6-0 which was supplied originally to the Mogiana Railway in Brazil and which later passed into sugar mill service.

Cheers NB

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Isn't that loco a genuine Baldwin, with minor cosmetic alterations to make it look "Maine"? Or, maybe we're talking about different locos.

The current ones are genuine but they are also building replicas.

https://www.bmr.wales/about-bmr/our-locomotives/No4-forney-type

https://www.bmr.wales/about-bmr/our-locomotives/no3-sandy-river-locomotive

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1