Nelevator in OO

10 hours ago, jwd said:

I have been trying for months to contact Nelevation via phone, email and even tried their 'sister' company Origin Product Design, no one answering their phones or email either.

I presume this is a dead product now and expect them to appear on Companies house closure notices soon.

With a complete lack of response I will have to go via Small Claims Court to try and get my £500 deposit back.

Such a shame as this was such a good idea for a product.

did you not pay by credit card?

On 08/09/2020 at 11:19, jwd said:

I have been trying for months to contact Nelevation via phone, email and even tried their 'sister' company Origin Product Design, no one answering their phones or email either.

I presume this is a dead product now and expect them to appear on Companies house closure notices soon.

With a complete lack of response I will have to go via Small Claims Court to try and get my £500 deposit back.

Such a shame as this was such a good idea for a product.

having just looked at there Facebook page and if I was in this position I would certainly start a small claim. I do get the feeling the poor chap under estimated the demand for them and being a one man band just got overwhelmed. When I enquired about these I was told there was a six month delay this was a warning to me and count myself lucky. Another thing having looked at companies house it is interesting who the director is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The company is still active so I would pursue your money. 

2 hours ago, Andymsa said:

Another thing having looked at companies house it is interesting who the director is.

Allen/Marion Pearson?........ I was expecting to see DJM :D

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

They would not take credit cards, think we can all work out why now.

I think that's a little unfair, the implication being that they were trying to get around payment protection or weren't trusted by the card companies,  i.e. deliberately taking monies without the intent to supply - I think its much more likely that at heir stage in development they couldn't justify the cost of a card account for 50-60 transactions a year (albeit quite large value transactions).

My only interest in the company is in their technology, but I've just had a quick look at the blog, and it appears that up until Sept2018 they had sold a shade under 100, and because they had recognized they had manufacture problems they had stopped taking orders, which seems reasonable to me. 

Inspired by Andymsa's mention of companies house, i looked at their January 2019 balance sheet, and they appear to have creditors to the tune of about £28000 - assuming that's ONLY deposits for their machines (and not suppliers of materials etc) that might suggest they had deposits for about 50-60 more machines?

Jon

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2019 at 08:31, woodenhead said:

On the one hand I am surprised they don't accept any credit cards for the amounts being charged, but looking at the delays and lack of contact being mentioned why am I not surprised.

image.png.b6ca29faa01eb151baa1688e86da2a18.png

Looking at the price difference, between N & 00 suggests that's why the production difficulties lay. Only 200 pound difference, for what I suspect a much more robust design is needed.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/09/2020 at 15:18, Andymsa said:

Another thing having looked at companies house it is interesting who the director is.

What's so interesting?  My guess is it's the designer/manufacturer's wife (they share the same surname), allowing him to concentrate on that side of the business whilst his wife concentrates on the office side.  No doubt there are other advantages - tax maybe?

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

I've not seen them at any shows for a while, but then Covid meant there haven't been many shows.  The website is still live, although it looks to be 4 years since it was last updated, and filing at Companies House seems to be up to date too.  This all seems a little odd if it really is as dead a business as so many of the postings above seem to imply.

It looked well designed and engineered for N scale, but needed to be rather more beefy in OO and as others have suggested would be better if designed as a paternoster.  Definitely a gap in the market for somebody with the right skills, resources and time.

There are a couple of the patenoister types available in Europe, but is way beyond what the average modeller can afford. Even the nelevator was somewhat over priced to what it would give you for additional storage compared to more traditional methods. These units are highly engineered pieces and complex things, I came to the conclusion there was the added possibility of breakdowns. The lack of action of the company is a concern, if it’s hard to purchase what happens if a fault develops and getting it resolved especially when dealing with a small company that may shut up shop any time .

Edited by Andymsa
  • Agree 1

Looks like a classic case of a business failing under the pressure of its own success.   The Nelevator is a great concept in N but upsized to 00 it starts to look very flimsy.   I was very impressed by the idea of a 00 Nelevator, but obviously being me I was just going to nick the idea and make my own, but with a need for at least 8 coach lengths finding anything in a skip with sufficient stiffness to form the decks was a challenge too far, let alone finding  enough power to lift maybe 60 coaches and eight locos.  It led me to deciding to use an aluminum domestic ladder as the deck and only having one deck to move trains between the layout and a low level fiddle yard.  Even powering that is proving challenging, so respect to the Nelevator guys but maybe you should have stuck to N gauge?    An Ooelevator or Hoelevator (Ho- El -Evator) doesn't have such a catchy name either

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The current #354 Maquetren (Spanish modelling magazine) has a build article on a 10 track vertical lift only storage system, it seems a well thought out and robust system.

Mike.

I'd be very interested in that article - is it easily available in the UK, and (silly question I know....) I'm guessing it's all in Spanish....

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The current #354 Maquetren (Spanish modelling magazine) has a build article on a 10 track vertical lift only storage system, it seems a well thought out and robust system.

Mike.

Interesting,  Do you know if it is H0,  If so  How long is the deck. 10 roads, as in 9 above baseboard level and 9 below is a big brute in 00/H0.    I hadn't thought of having it drop in to a pit in the shed floor or going up into the ceiling until now,  I hadn't got beyond building it outside the shed.

• RMweb Gold

Screenshot_20220905-162310.png.a987e0d745677d267cf741ad13eada43.png

I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws by posting a Google translation of one of the captions.

Awkward to explain but if you imagine the above as a giant bread tray sliding up and down the wall in its entirety with the tracks on aluminium strips at 90 degrees you've about got the concept.

I was out on the number of tracks too, there are 15 shelves of double track, quite a weight, but if the non existent Spanish building standards can support such a weight then a half decent UK wall will!

If you Google "persiana" that should give you a flavour of the motor system used.

The chaps name is Eduardo Tocino Marcos if he crops up anywhere else.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2022 at 11:57, DCB said:

I was just going to nick the idea and make my own

Hardly nicking something that already existed before Nelevator decided to make a commercial version of what others had previously done.