Comments please on attached signalling plan

On 21/12/2019 at 13:04, Edward said:

Gosh I seized on the changes , seeing that the problems would be gone and rushed off to try them out on the layout.  Armed with cutout templates of the Peco Code 75 points, I would surely bend the world, or at least my little station of Uffton, to my will.   But I quickly came up against the iron rule of radii:  so far and no further.   I wanted to use the longest points and have smooth curves with a little transition built-in.  But it's not to be! The necessary right angle to come round the next baseboard with two running lines just couldn't be moved enough to swop the points around.  Which is, I suppose, why I had so much trouble when laying out the first time.

Hi Edward,

I agree with previous posts that changing the facing main to main crossover to a trailing one would be both more prototypical, and better operationally...

Would changing the point in the down line to a 3-way, combining the goods line exit and crossover give you enough room to do this?

On 20/12/2019 at 00:33, jim.snowdon said:

UfftonSignalDia2v2.jpg.f3735c3fbc80b3d275b607adb60b0c1f.jpg

Points I would note are:-

1.  I have left the bracketed signal 1/2 as is in case the idea is to use platform 2 for terminating trains (which would be a reason for the crossover being facing rather than trailing).

6.  I have assumed that any movements from platform 2 to the Up Line would be shunt moves, so signals 4 & 5 would be ground signals. Complementing one of these would be a Limit of Shunt marker/signal on the Down line.

Jim

Jim

As in point 1 you have a main running signal from the Up into the Down (No.2) Platform then..

the signal it applies to in point 6 from Platform 2 back to the Up line has to be another main running signal and can not be a shunting signal

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

20200109_121039.jpg.2581875139a0e9cf50e3abc2eacb9733.jpgThanks for all the advice in the above! having been trying out a few signal placings-just old out of scale manual ones!  And a couple of  pics to show approx positions.  I've got a couple of 2 aspect colour sigs and hope to eventually motorise the remainder in time.  A rough shot through the road bridge.  In the first pic you can just see the Up Home peeking above the water tank.  The signal on the right controls exit from the goods yard to the goods loop. And beyond it, the Down (advance) starter.  Then to the left is the Down starter on platform 2- the only one in Off position.

NB Have had a bit of trouble with the posting of pics etc so hope its all understandable.

401606696_Uffton1.png.a8b2873a5b22fbb79b8b4d896b51c08b.png

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

You'll need to think about clearances - e.g. if a train was sitting at the bracket signal in the second pic, it would be fouling the crossover to the up line.

Yes indeed ! I fear I've got to rebuild the platform itself because of the same problem.  Luckily most things are still not stuck down which is a definite boon now.  Thanks for the comments , much appreciated.